Magic Weapons in Project Eternity

Dart of the Hornets’ Nest

These darts are a great addition to any D&D flavoured RPG. I remember them from the early SSI games like Curse of the Azure Bonds. They're perfect for disrupting spells, and the more that spawn, the longer they distract. It'd be awesome if we could craft these too. (hint hint).

Description taken from AD&D 1st edition "Unearthed Arcana".

While appearing to be nothing more than a magic dart, this missile weapon is of far greater power. Once it is hurled, the dart multiplies in the air, even as it speeds toward its target, all the while making an angry buzzing noise similar to the sound of a swarm of hornets. When such a dart is hurled, percentile dice are rolled to determine the bonus “to hit” and the appropriate number of darts contained in this particular item. Note that the bonus applies only to hit probability - not to damage, which is of the standard amount (1-3 vs. S or M, 1-2 vs. L) for a dart of normal sort.

Bonus
 d%        To Hit     No. of Darts
01-40       +1         5-20 (5d4)
41-70       +2         4-16 (4d4)
71-90       +3         3-12 (3d4)
91-00       +4         2-8  (2d4)

:devil:

• Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Basher, warhammer.

Decent warhammer stats

+x to skill-checks for bashing in containers and doors.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

The First Lead Shot

That's... actually pretty decent.

Unique missile/bullet item is a good idea too.

Thanks, I appreciate it :)

I was trying to come up with something for a Flintlock that made sense; I think magical guns are a bit strange (do all those moving parts have to be seperately enchanted? The black powder? :p ) but a simple lead bullet makes a lot of sense.

....Furthermore, it's just an excuse for the abilities of melee fighters to catch up with the otherwise unbalanced abilities of mages...

After all, there should be a "natural balance" between those who can metaphyiscally manipulate and mold reality to their will...and those who can't. Elegantly waving around a metal object should produce similar effects to studying the nature of, and commanding the fabric of existance, right?

That aside, weapon imbalance usually stems from hitpoint problems. Deadlands handled this very well. Even the mightiest could be felled by a lucky shot from a greenhorn kid with a rusty pistol. Keep health "realistically" low, and skill becomes far more relevant than the items one weilds.

Portare arcanum

These crossbow bolts aren't so much magical as they are magically receptive. They have a slender shaft made of an unusual material: typically a certain type of wood or a bone that has been boiled, stretched and straightened. A small crystal is mounted at the tip with a specially prepared resin; this crystal must be as free of defects as possible, but a simple quartz crystal will suffice.

You cast a zero-range touch spell upon the crystal, then fire the bolt at a target. If the attack is successful, then the spell is inflicted upon the defender. Should the bolt miss, then the power is expended. The most common bolt of this type will only retain the spell effect for a brief period of time. More potent versions will retain the magic for longer periods like a capacitor, or allow more than one spell to be cast into the bolt.

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Just a quick note using D&D terms for simplicity, not a full blown artifact level weapon.  Should the "wounding" property be included in P:E as a high-level property, please don't let it be negated by any sort of low-level, common "damage reduction" spells or items.  High-level effects should only be negated by similarly high-level (read expensive) magic or magical enhancements.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Padamal's lonely cloak

Gives whomever wears it +<suitably large number> for hide/move silently skills.

As long as the cloak is worn, the player cannot initiate conversation or attack with the equipped character.

If worn by a Rogue, the cloak offers summon creature, blackbird. 2/day.

If worn by a Druid or Ranger, the cloak offers summon creature (any solitary) 2/day.

Is given to the player as a reward by Padamal herself, should they be lucky enough to encounter her.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Plate of the Beast

High Quality set of Plate

Crafted by savages long dead, this predatory animal themed armor is of great value to collectors of artifacts. The enchantment on it grants the wearer the strength of a savage beast, but also clouds their judgement.

Good bonus to AC(or whatever the PE analogue is)

Bonus to strength and constitution.

Small penalty to Will saving throws(or whatever the PE analogue is)

PC cannot select the "diplomatic" dialogue options when worn.*

*By this I mean anything that is a way to avoid violence.

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Whackamole +5

Orlans hit by this warhammer must make a Fortitude save or suffer a broken neck and instant death. Those who succeed must make an additional Fortitude save at a -1 penalty or be knocked down.

:biggrin:

maggotheart, on 25 Feb 2013 - 11:11, said:

I was trying to come up with something for a Flintlock that made sense; I think magical guns are a bit strange (do all those moving parts have to be seperately enchanted? The black powder? :p ) but a simple lead bullet makes a lot of sense.

Cool concept. Reminds me of the Colt from Supernatural. Edited by ddillon
  • Like 1

The First Flintlock

The very first projectile flinging machine, created to penetrate a mages magical veil. Designed by the most ingenious humans, forged by dwarven master smiths and delivered on its first mission by cunning elven scouts into the hands of Anath'gaur, the Godlike son of the Dark Goddess who is said to covet the hearts of all men. The device is a work of art and an historical relic of great significance to all three races, as well as a potent magical item in its own right.

The godlike named Anath'gaur used the First Flintlock to assassinate the Archmage, which ushered in the Second Age and saw the rise of various Human Empires and decline of dwarven and elven influence that persist to this day. When he killed the Archmage and escaped with the weapon, he incurred the wrath of the Ancient God, the great and capricious God of Magic who lusted after the Dark Goddess and had been the patron of the Archmage. In the instant of his escape from the throne room of the Archmage, Anath'gaur was rendered completely, permanently invisible by the Ancient God, along with all his possessions.

The exploits of the invisible Godlike adventurer Anath'gaur are legendary, but the First Flintlock is thought to be lost - since it is cannot be seen, it cannot easily be found. Despite this, the device is said to be visible to any Godlike man or woman, so it is possible that one of that race could find the First Flintlock some day and unleash its legendary powers. It is said that the device can fire one shot per day that cannot miss, and that the weapon is very accurate in general, due to the fact that targets cannot see what is being fired at them. The weapon is completely invisible to all creatures except those who are Godlike, so it can be easily smuggled into any location.

If the First Flintlock and the First Lead Shot could be brought back together, it would create the perfect weapon for assassinations, something that cannot be seen, cannot miss and a bullet that can pierce any armor.

• Like 1

Mirror fan.

This innocuous looking fan carries a concealed set of blades, anyone proficient with a fan can use it as a concealed weapon.

The Mirror fan has a mirrored side and a non-mirrored side.

Anyone but the wielder looking into the mirrored size will see enemies behind them when there are not, causing distraction and may cause the enemy to turn his back on the fan wielder.. this slight hypnotic distraction misdirects and gives any enemy caught up in it -3 on their saving rolls and -2 to dexterity. When the mirror side is turned to the wielder, he or she will be unable to be flanked by enemies and has a 20% chance to parry any attack coming from what otherwise would be considered flanking.

• Like 1

---

Magic weapons should be rare and unique. In AD&D based games magic weapons soon become de-valued - every enemy has a 'Short Sword + 1', which undermines the idea of magic being something unique and wondrous.

In PE i'd like to see:

Every magic weapon has a name. An ACTUAL name like 'Excalibur'  or 'Flesh-thrasher', 'not 'the Bastard Sword of Burning +3'.

Every magic weapon has a back-story or legend attached to it.

Acquiring magic weapons should be tough. They should either have a specific quest attached, or should only be obtained from very high level bosses, not from the body of some dead bandit or goblin.

I'd also like to see more 'cursed' weapons i.e weapons that are very powerful but have a downside to using. E.G A magic berserker's axe that makes you crazed with bloodlust at first hint of trouble, a talking sword that makes it impossible to sneak, a possessed dagger that slowly changes your personality etc.

• Like 4

Not really all weapons, but also activable items:

Can of whoopass

Upon activating, item vanishes, summoning a group of donkeys that plummet from the sky on unsuspecting victim. 

A necklace of inappropriate thoughts

Cursed item, that decreases ability to talk to opposite gender, while increasing chance of scoring critical hits (more focus on vulnerable areas)  

A sword of a thousand cuts

A relatively good damage sword that shatters and damages everything (player included) in <insert radius> exactly after 1000 cuts are made (big shatter damage).

Glass pistol

A high damage pistol that has an increasing chance to explode in hands of the shooter. Exploding effect is negated in hands of a mage, but he can't wear any armor.

Gold grinder

You can produce gold powder (it costs gold coins though) that when thrown in the air reveals invisible people (friendly fire possible). 

Rick & Roll

A powerful elven(?) weapons (sword & hammer) that when swung on the battlefield (only dual wielded) produce inspiring sound for the party and irritating sound for the enemies <insert appropriate bonuses to morale and hit chance>

• Like 1

signqev.jpg

Shameless repost:

I want to see a set of rapiers (in roughly IE terms):

Duelist's Justice

Rapier.

Piercing.

+2 to dex.

1 bonus to AC.

+2 to hit, +4 vs. evil.

On hit, 2 bleeding damage/s for 5 sec, save for half.

Ability: Once per day, duelist's challenge -

Wielder and target evil humanoid are instantly shifted to a pocket
plane, healed for 20% of their max health, de-buffed, de-equipped, and
then equipped with plain rapiers +3. If nobody has died after 15 rounds,
Duelist's justice closes the pocket plane, deals 90% of its wielder's
max hit points to its wielder and can never be equipped by them again,
otherwise, If either fighter dies, the pocket plane closes, and the
survivor is healed for 25% of max hit points. When the pocket plane
closes, the survivors are re-quipped.

Duelist's Desire

Rapier.

Piercing.

+2 to dex.

1 bonus to AC.

+2 to hit, +4 vs. good.

Wielder and target good humanoid are instantly shifted to a pocket
plane, healed for 20% of their max health, de-buffed, de-equipped, and
then equipped with plain rapiers +3. If nobody has died after 15 rounds,
Duelist's justice closes the pocket plane, deals 90% of its wielder's
max hit points to its wielder in damage and can never be equipped by
them again, otherwise, if either fighter dies, the pocket plane closes
and the survivor is healed for 25% of max hit points. When the pocket
plane closes, the survivors are re-quipped.

Duelist's Honor

Rapier.

Piercing.

+2 to dex.

1 bonus to AC.

+2 to hit, +4 vs. non-neutral.

Wielder and target non-neutral humanoid are instantly shifted to a
pocket plane, healed for 20% of their max health, de-buffed,
de-equipped, and then equipped with plain rapiers +3. If nobody has died
after 15 rounds, Duelist's justice closes the pocket plane, deals 90%
of its wielder's max hit points to its wielder in damage and can never
be equipped by them again, otherwise, if either fighter dies, the pocket
plane closes and the survivor is healed for 25% of max hit points. When
the pocket plane closes, the survivors are re-quipped.

The above 3 Rapiers can be combined and re-forged into:

Duelist's Perfection

Rapier.

Piercing.

+3 to dex.

+1 attack/round.

2 bonus to AC., 4 bonus to AC vs. missiles.

+3 to hit, +6 vs. humanoid.

On hit, 4 bleeding damage/s for 4 sec, save for half.

Ability: Three times per day, duel to the death -

Wielder and target humanoid are instantly shifted to a pocket plane,
healed to 100% health, de-buffed, de-equipped, and then equipped with
plain rapiers +4. If the opponent does not share an alignment with the
wielder, the opponent becomes afflicted with unworthiness and get -1 to
strength, -1 to movement, and -2 to dexterity while in the pocket plane.
If nobody has died after 15 rounds, Duelist's justice closes the pocket
plane, deals 100% of its wielder's max hit points to its wielder in
damage and can never be equipped by them again, otherwise, if either
fighter dies, the pocket plane closes and the survivor is healed for 50%
of max hit points, and re-equipped.

Hopefully there are no typos.

Back story:
A fencing master, a maestro of a widely respected school of fencing, died with three promising pupils, but without naming a successor. Each pupil had a rapier made with which to challenge the others, believing that each of the other possible successors was entirely unsuitable to be maestro and failed to reflect the principles of the school. Each wielding a rapier enchanted to mirror their beliefs, they all managed to kill each other in a single duel and their swords were subsequently sold and scattered. It's rumored that each blade contains a piece of the original headmaster's soul, and that if the three swords are ever assembled and forged into one, his spirit will reappear within the completed blade and enable the restoration of his long lost school.

Each individual sword could have a unique story about the pupil who had it foraged and what trinket was used to trap a sliver of the Maestro's essence..

• Like 1

Barask's Nail Clipper.

Barask had been a mighty blue dragon. He suffered from a genetic disorder that caused his nails to grow very quickly. Each time he trimmed or nibbled his nails they would start growing back so, as you can imagine, he spent a lot of time looking after them. This made him very self conscious and he never travelled out much. He became quite depressed. One day a wizard came into his lair in search of his treasure. Barask had noticed him since the wizard first set foot inside the door. The door being one of the surface entrances to an underground prison. As the wizard tiptoed into the former prison hall, the largest space in the building, which served as the dragons nest; Barask hissed at him. "If you would like to make this quick and just jump into my mouth, I would be appreciative of the saving of time." The wizard calmly faced the huge dragon. " My lord, magnificent among beasts and men, I greet you." Barask, a little surprised, smiled an indulgent smile. " Well now. It has been quite some time since I've spoken to a well-mannered human." The two spoke of adventures past. The dragon reminiscing about previous barbarians who disturbed his peace and the wizard, who called himself J'hai, described stories of his journeys in lands very far away.

" So J'hai, what brings you to my home?"

"I have heard that a fabled amulet, which had once belonged to the elves, had come into your possession. It holds a power which will save my sister from a life-threatening illness." The dragon looked back into his memories." Ah yes. When I first moved in to this home of mine, the little elves greeted me with a warrior band. I had a small meal but I find elves a bit stringy. They never came back but I did find a nice amulet around one of their necks." He dangled it in the air in front of the wizard. "May I have it?" asked J'hai. "Well, my friend, what is in it for me?"

" I have heard your story from the descendents of the elves. Your little hygeine problem." He whispered the last bit. " I have created a tool for you to use so that your nails will no longer cause you worry. This tool will work on its own to trim your nails." He opened a bag that had been under his cloak and the clipper floated out, flying towards the dragon and started to trim its nails. The delighted Barask handed over the amulet immediately and the wizard left and so the great red dragon was no longer blue.

Use:

Barask's nail clipper is shaped like a hoe (the gardeners tool) and can be used by both hands as a two handed weapon aswell as floating on its own.

It will only attack the toes of the enemies. Chopping them off in a single hit.  

(As the wizard had heard of the dragon's depression, he magically made it so the clippers could not be used on more sensitive areas.)

- This will cause them to reduce their speed by half and sometimes fall over.

On creatures dragon size or larger, it will give them a manicure.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Haleberd.

Haleberd is a normal looking +2 Halberd in the hands of any class, except in the hands of a fighter or paladin.

When equipped to A fighter: gives a +5 health and stamina boost, when an enemy is struck with Haleberd there's a 20% chance it steals 1 stamina.

When equipped to a Paladin: Whenever an enemy is killed restores a small amount of stamina and a tiny amount of health on the wearer, and gives +1 to defence for 1-3 rounds to the Paladin

Eemse's slingshot.

The bountyhunter Eemse specialised in bringing in her targets alive.

Her Slingshot deals only minor damage, but has a chance to stun, each successful stun removes 10% of the target's base stamina, when a successful stun removes the last bit of stamina, the target falls unconscious and cannot recover until a minute after combat has resolved.

---