Friends,

Why not list creature types, old or new, you'd like to see in P:E.
Or just brainstorm some weird and wonderful creature combos as inspiration for game content. Some examples.

Undead Variations
- Ogre Mummy
- Sand Wraith
- Undead Troll
- Undead Harpy
- Drider Mummy

Spider Variations    Special Ability
- Wraith Spider          [Necrotic Damage | Fear]
- Troll Spider             [Regeneration]
- Mage Spider           [spellcasting | Spell Resistance]
- Sand Spider            [blindness]
- Crypt Spider            [Disease - Mummy Rot]
- Festering Spider      [Disease - Acid Pustules]
- Werespider              [Disease - Lycanthropy | Cursed]
- Carrion Spider         [Disease - Filth Fever | Nausea]
- Bloat Spider             [Poison | Quillfire]
- Frost Spider             [Creeping Cold | Slow]
- Boneshard Spider    [Vampiric Touch]
- Swamp Spider         [swamp Lung]
- Rage Spider            [berserk]
- Spider Mummy        [Disease - Infestation of Maggots]

Others
- Tauric Medusa
- Dust Demon
- Earthquake Beetle

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Alien........ :dancing:

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

Sirens, legions of the damned (like zombies, but more tragic), nazis, rocklobsters, like the medusa thing but maybe without turning to stone - maybe eyesight causes mild combustion or something, banshees, piranhas (water hazard), landsharks, annnnd bloodflies (from I book I'm reading - large with nasty bites that soften the skin for the embedded larva eggs; be best to kill these without being bitten much, for the bites will cause them to multiply).

Classic hust-have

orc, goblin, kobold, hobgoblin, troll, ogre, basilisk, spider, dragon, wyvern, demon, undead*

Other

beastmen, satyr, striga, harpy, kikimore, chimera, gargoyle, banshee, dark elf, dryad, vila, rusałka, ****atrice **

Questionable

zombie, mummy, giant

* Creatures in Project Eternity, now that's a good question. Above are my types; as you see am not a fan of zombies, but there is a lot of great other undead creatures like a ghoul, vampire or lich.

** Oh come on! Censorship of a creature name, because of a rooster? Seriously?

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

as you see am not a fan of zombies, but there is a lot of great other undead creatures like a ghoul, vampire or lich.

Some ideas in this thread on how to revamp skeletons and zombies.

Edited by TRX850

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Undead Game Developer

:skull:Skulllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

Sedrefilos: :wowey:  o:)

Aquatic elves, sahaugin, pech (I just adore those little buggers), more or less all kinds of undead, lots of mimics and monsters that appear to one kind of monster but is in fact something else (I love surprises), piercers (I miss them so), owlbears and skulks.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'd honestly largely want original creations, or at the least creatures which look like they fit the setting.  It's a tricky line to follow, as its a lot harder to come up with good new monsters that have the same impact as classical ones, after all, they are classical for a reason, but can definitly be done - mindflayers are really great.  They can certainly invoke existing creatures, but just try to get back the wonder of encountering something new, challenging and a bit scary for the first time.

Also as a bit of a creature design pedant, I'd kind of like it if creatures generally fall into two categories: either naturally evolved and look plausible as a complete creature, or are created by a sentient being or so.  Case to point, I'm not a fan of (classical  lion/goat/snake) chimeras in worlds where its suggested they just evolved naturally, but, if there were a world where chimeras were mage-constructs that had gone on to breed that's fine.  It's mainly just the multiple head thing really, I don't mind a creature that did have elements of lion, goat and snake but as long as it fit together into a whole creature.  Griffins on the other hand are fine - as they do look like a complete creature.

There are exceptions, but these are largely archetypal  creatures which have variations in many cultures (undead, giants, serpents, were-creatures etc) but even there I'd like some slightly new twists on them that means you aren't just going "oh I'll get out my silver crossbow bolts/wooden stake again" make them defy expectations.

• Like 2

MM35_PG237.jpg

And I haven't seen Stirges since the early SSI games like  Pool of Radiance  and Curse of the Azure Bonds.

I hope I will fight mostly sentient races. (humans, elves, dwarves, orlans, amauen etc) Hell if it were up to me we'd only have humans as a sentient race, but I can live with this.

Any "monster" should not be an animal, animals usually avoid combat unless you threaten them..

Mostly, I would love to see a great deal of originality. I would enjoy it if after a while you know the way to fight certain enemies.

with that I mean, like in many old games, if you saw a certain enemy, they would telegraph their attacks in a certain way, and after a while you knew how to deal with them.

headcrabs =wait for jump and time crowbar swing. those zombies, shoot the headcrab controlling them. preferably with shotgun. those tongue-creatures, just pay attention and avoid them, or feed them explosives barrels. a single revolver shot would do too.

Much in the same way I hope to see a diverse set of creatures each with a challenge unique to their species, but not different between members of their species (unless they are visually distinct)

I want critters that swarm their attacker if you damage a single one of them, critters which ambush and immobilize you, leave you poisoned, and retreat. I would like critters which shoot poisons but stay out of range as best they can. I want more co-ordinated attacks from some creatures (goblins?) which focus on dealing a lot of damage to your weakest members first. I want strong creatures which will attack nearest enemies and can take punishment (perhaps a little magic resistance too)

I want to see other creatures which focus on debuffing your party (weakness, attribute damage) but don't do much damage. I want critters which act like suicide bombers, with small health but with splash damage. I want trap laying creatures. I want creatures which actually lure you out, rather than vice versa. (one fairly low health but high defence creature retreating into a room you haven't explored, if you're dumb enough to follow, well, serves you right) I actually like to see critters which can teleport your party to split them up.

I'd love to see some trickster enemies too, which make you follow them and then disappear, leaving you in a place where finding your way back, you may be accosted by creatures not present before.

I think the examples I gave alone would already make for varied combat.

In other words, I want variety in tactics as much as I hope to see variety in creatures. this way, encounters can be different based on creatures present.

Oh, and wisps and ****. I want some happy magical critters too.

And fireflies and glowworms,

and other bioluminescent critters.

• Like 2

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Large, spider-like creatures called 'Viders' that use an endoskeleton structure in combination with a chitinous external carapice for protection. Basically a restructuring of the armadillo/tortoise with a segmented outer shell and a leathery hide to protect the exposed fleshy portions. Viders create web-like traps that are reinforced with a framework of twigs, branches, or overhanging arches. Like an armadillo, Viders can curl up into an armored ball for protection against larger creatures. They also possess a toxic bite that can paralyze a captured victim and begin to break down the flesh for consumption.

Parallel evolution in action.

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Barely related but could we call zombies something diffrent then zombie, like walkers, or deathless , I don't know why, and I know this is really stupid but I don't like Z word in fantasy

The Restless Dead?

Tree of Misery/Dyrwood Dolmen/Henge of Haunting?

In the depths of the tangled forest, upon an old mound stands a black obsidian monolith. In small alcoves carved into the standing stone are set ancient skulls, skulls that seem to look at you as you approach. Striding to the top pf the mound you reach out to touch one, then recoil in fear. The skulls moved, all of them. Slowly the skulls extend on impossibly long spinal cords, swaying in time to a howling moan that tears at your mind. They bob and weave, darting forth to gnash at you and you realise the scream piercing your brain is their maddened, bound souls crying out as one for release and murder. They are hatred and self pity, and they were placed here as punishment for some terrible crime.

Perhaps a Cipher might be able to free them or a chanter to listen to their song and alter it so that they might sleep.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The Jaquarg is a flying creature with insect-like characteristics and behaviors. It begins its life cycle in a larval stage before metamorphosing into a flying scout. The Jaquarq is equipped with a ranged chemical attack that causes intense lethargy.

During its larval stage, the Jaquarg is protected and raised by the hive creatures known as the Quarin. The latter are nearly blind, but have a heightened sense of smell that allows them to rapidly home in on the chemical tracers sprayed by the Jaquarg.

Thus the two creatures form a symbiotic pair that cooperate on the hunt, with the Jaquarg attacking from range to slow down the prey, while the Quarin rapidly close in and swarm the victims. Once a prey is down, both share in the feast.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

A giant carnivorous pitcher plant that attracts prey through psychic manipulation. Some animals are compelled to walk into the plants acid pool to be digested, but others are kept alive to serve as the plants protectors. These drooling 'psychic zombies' slowly become covered in fungus, insects and filth as they lurk near the plant. When threatened, the plant directs them to suicidally attack intruders. The plant will also seed these protectors with its own spores, so they can be carried to other areas and enable it to spread.

The plants thralls can only be released if the plant is destroyed, but depending on how long they have been kept, they may immediately die, become thoroughly insane, recover somewhat but are never the same, or recover completely.

The most common victims are large humanoids with comparatively simple minds like Ogres, who can provide a lot of protection and are easily dominated.

• Like 4

I absolutely love Constructs and anything inanimate imbued with live, so for me awesome choices would be:

- Clay Golem

- Stone Golem

- Steel/Iron Golem

- "Exotic Material" Golem (Glass, Mithril, Brass, Diamond, Jade, etc...)

- Living Armor

- Gargoyle

- Fire/Earth/Water/Wind Elemental (preferably from in sizes small to large)

- Animated Statue

- Spirits giving themselves form by inhabiting piles of inanimate matter ( sticks and branches, cobbled together clothing and armor, sand and rocks, etc...)

Tiny humanoids that resemble elven children who use their innocent appearance to trick stronger prey into letting down their guard. They have blond hair, alabaster skin and wide, sad eyes, however they are actually ferocious predators that will attack in groups and rip their prey limb from limb, devouring them with razor sharp teeth hidden behind their perfectly formed, elvish lips.

These creatures will often send one of their group out to be encountered by a traveller, who is immediately disarmed by the innocent and beautiful face of a small elven child. Once they are distracted, a mob of the creatures attack the traveller unawares, overwhelming him and feasting on his flesh. They are surprisingly agile, able to quickly scale trees and jump long distances. Their small, delicate frames are, upon closer inspection, quite wiry and strong, with the skin stretched tight over the bones. Once their ruse has been discovered, their faces wrinkle up and their mouths open wider than seems possible, giving them a scary, animalistic appearance.

They have long preyed upon the elves of the deep forest, but do not discriminate in their perpetual quest for humanoid meat - in recent years, they have increasingly fed upon humans who are much easier to trick than the elves who have had to deal with them for a long time.

- Spirits giving themselves form by inhabiting piles of inanimate matter ( sticks and branches, cobbled together clothing and armor, sand and rocks, etc...)

This is pure genius. If used correctly, it could make for an epic foe. Perhaps a generic one, but probably better suited for a quest-specific monster. Having to fight through a dungeon/tower/complex pursued by a spirit (soul?) that animates various objects, assuming different strengths each time, perhaps luring you to locations where it can form even more powerful constructs, all in the attempt to identify and destroy its bond to the physical world - this is something I'd like very much.

This might be a little left field, but I'd be interested in seeing something like dementors. In a world that so deeply revolves around souls, it makes sense to have a direct parasite for the soul. Depending on the lore (ie whether souls are actually important or just thought to be the source of power), the dementor-like creatures could have evolved to fill a niche or have been created by wizards to attack their enemies. The latter is more appealing to me. What better way to totally and completely defeat a rival than to sap him of all possible power sources? Efficient and devious.

• Like 1