Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

do u remember ur first pnp game?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2271 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Sadly, I've never played PnP.

I was close to playing DnD once and had just started to create a character with some friends who played it quite a bit when my mom walked in and asked what we were up to. Upon hearing Dungeons and Dragons she immediately thought of Mazes and Monsters or something and thinks I'll start worshiping the devil or sacrificing virgins or who knows what. I tried to explain to her that wasn't what I'd do with virgins given the chance and not to worry because I already worshiped the devil. She wasn't amused. When she finally came around the DnD friends had moved far, far away and none of my other (lamer) friends were into it and so it never happened. 

The end

• nikolokolus and ManifestedISO like this

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2893 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oh my.

It was way back in 1988. MERP. Middle Earth Role Play. I made myself a Rohirrim ranger and wauw, I was in love with the concept from the very beginning. He's long dead, and I'll be damned if I remember his name but I've been an RPG fan ever since. My next character was a Dunlending rogue, with a wicked warhammer, an uncanny climbing ability and a barbed wit. His name I do remember: Moch Gunnach. I've forgotten what became of him, though. :grin:

Good times! So I hope you'll get experinces as great, funny, horryfying, epic and hillarious as I've had. Enjoy! :yes:

MERP was great. Pitty that Christopher Tolkien and that bunch pretty much forced ICE to close shop. Not a good thing for pen&paper RPGs or fans of middle earth that a bunch of talented, enthusiastic fans were forced out to make room for the merchandising lot.

Basically the reason I just couldn't get excited about any of the recent movies.

• TMZuk likes this

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oh my.

It was way back in 1988. MERP. Middle Earth Role Play. I made myself a Rohirrim ranger and wauw, I was in love with the concept from the very beginning. He's long dead, and I'll be damned if I remember his name but I've been an RPG fan ever since. My next character was a Dunlending rogue, with a wicked warhammer, an uncanny climbing ability and a barbed wit. His name I do remember: Moch Gunnach. I've forgotten what became of him, though. :grin:

Good times! So I hope you'll get experinces as great, funny, horryfying, epic and hillarious as I've had. Enjoy! :yes:

MERP was great. Pitty that Christopher Tolkien and that bunch pretty much forced ICE to close shop. Not a good thing for pen&paper RPGs or fans of middle earth that a bunch of talented, enthusiastic fans were forced out to make room for the merchandising lot.

Basically the reason I just couldn't get excited about any of the recent movies.

I hadn't heard that. But the new (ish) films brought bucketloads of new people to the hobby. You can't hate them for that.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4519 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
The MERP thing was weird, as I understand it. I can't imagine the Tolkein estate got what they wanted out of that deal.

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 2893 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The estate didn't make buckloads of money out of that deal. What they did get though was the ability to have full control over everything; and through that ensure that not even a bit of money could be made. Iron Crown Enterprices had trouble meeting deadlines and bringing out any product as they went through such a long and ardeous control process by the estate. Even with the "Kuduk Lore" convention that ensured that anything not directly quoted out of the Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings would be clearly labeled as such for the fans.

The estate didn't care. They were not about money - they were there to safeguard a legacy. And if that meant throttling enthusiastic people and a good product, unfortunate but necessary to preserve the integrity of J.R.R's vision.

But when Hollywood came aknocking, and the trickle of money they had been nonchalantly waving away, promised to turn into a flood, then all of a sudden Tolkien Jr. changed his spiel to say that fans should accept a more liberal adaptation. There is a word that described a person like that: whore. Or politician. Ok, two words. And I'll stop before I turn this into the spanish inquisition.

edit:

and it doesn't help that I had the wierd luck to actually, completly randomly and unexpectedly end up playing the CCG with someone who worked for ICE ;)

Edited by melkathi, 11 July 2013 - 08:33 AM.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6544 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock

I remember MERP, it was basically an adapted version of Rolemaster.  I never actually played MERP, but I played plenty of Rolemaster and even more Spacemaster.

Edited by Keyrock, 11 July 2013 - 10:04 AM.

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2601 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think that my first PnP rpg was Ankh, which was Finnish clone of D&D, but soon I moved to play Rune Quest, Twilight 2000, Cyberpunk 2020 and Rolemaster (second edition and later third, and mainly MERP campaigns), I tried AD&D also but my gaming circle didn't like it as much as they liked Rune Quest and Rolemaster. 

Sylvius the Mad

Sylvius the Mad

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Technically, my first character was illegal. 1st edition AD&D Dwarf Paladin. But I hadn't read the rules, yet, and the DM suggested it. Presumbaly he wasn't really into race restrictions. As it happened, I didn't ever actually play in that group, but that's where I created my first character.

Then came the Star Wars RPG - not the d20 game that WotC made, but the original d6 rules. I played Kilchatca, a wookiee with 6 dice of strength - he could just about lift an X-wing himself, and did far more damage with his bare hands than he could with a blaster or bowcaster. So he ended up learning stealth skills so he could sneak up on guys and rip their heads off.

And I've been playing non-standard characters in non-standard ways ever since.

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2695 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
My first pnp game was GURPS in a sci-fi setting. My character, Santiago, blew up a planet with the "demolitions" skill. Good times.

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3035 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

As I recall it was a game of AD&D set on a dungeon floor plan that depicted a complex of royal tombs, very detailed and labyrinthine. Can't for the life of me remember any of the names involved except for the adventure being set in a region called "Koss." Played with a dwarven fighter, represented by one of the old lead Citadel miniatures figures. Nobbled by a Lich, don't think the GM had much idea what he was doing, setting something like that on a 1st/2nd level party.

Still despite the rough introduction, I was enchanted by the possibilities inherent in the medium.

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 6544 posts

Technically, my first character was illegal. 1st edition AD&D Dwarf Paladin. But I hadn't read the rules, yet, and the DM suggested it. Presumbaly he wasn't really into race restrictions. As it happened, I didn't ever actually play in that group, but that's where I created my first character.

It's only illegal if the DM says it's illegal.  The rule books themselves state that the DM can modify, ignore, or add any rule he or she sees fit.

• Walsingham and nikolokolus like this

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer

I agree with keyrock. DM is final.

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 2893 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Besides, what rules? They are more like guidelines ;)

• Walsingham, nikolokolus and Azdeus like this

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Besides, what rules? They are more like guidelines ;)

Yarr.

TMZuk

TMZuk

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I remember MERP, it was basically an adapted version of Rolemaster.  I never actually played MERP, but I played plenty of Rolemaster and even more Spacemaster.

A very simplified and much more playable version of Rolemaster.

I was never able to understand fans of Rolemaster, I have to admit. That game was so ardeous and so incredibly complicated, demanding dice rolls for everything. All it lacked was a Nose Picking Disaster Table, and there'd be a table and a chart for every damn thing you could possible imagine. :lol:

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 6544 posts

A very simplified and much more playable version of Rolemaster.

I was never able to understand fans of Rolemaster, I have to admit. That game was so ardeous and so incredibly complicated, demanding dice rolls for everything. All it lacked was a Nose Picking Disaster Table, and there'd be a table and a chart for every damn thing you could possible imagine. :lol:

Once the game got up and going it didn't take THAT long, assuming the GM had all the charts handy.  Character creation, on the other hand, was a ridiculously arduous process.  It would usually take me an entire day, if not longer, to create a single character.  Of course, that's if you were just using the base rules.  Once you start diving into the optional companion books...  

/whistles

The game was certainly not for the feint of heart, or the short on time.  :p

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 2893 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

If you have to write a five thousand word character background it takes longer thana  day anyway. Or a ten thousand word character background...

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1869 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

My first RPG was Rifts, I was a Glitterboy  :biggrin:

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It was about 1986 or 87 and it was the Mentzer Basic set. My buddy had that boxed set, but he and 3 other guys were already playing AD&D 1st ed. and before I could join in the fun he gave me that little red book and the solo dungeon to run through a few times so I could get the hang of it before being exposed to the "grown-up" version of the game. I'm pretty sure my first character was a dwarf that got killed three times in that solo adventure.

As for my first "real" AD&D character, he was most definitely a Chaotic Good, wood-elf ranger named Tinglaf with 18/54 Strength. Those glorious 2d8 starting hit points and the weapon specialization rules in Unearthed Arcana made him an unholy 1st level terror with a bow and a two-handed sword. First fight was with an Ogre in a clearing. One glorious natural twenty with the 2-hander and I one-shot that bastard; one of the best adrenaline fueled moments of my life up to that point ... although when you're eleven or twelve, second place is probably climbing really high up a pine tree and getting a "tingly" feeling in your special place. Pretty sure his second fight was with 4 goblins armed with poison tipped arrows. RIP Tinglaf.

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 832 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well ill go ahead and add my first group wipe.
I made a dungeon that had an evil cleric at the end of it but he also had a hidden plant that would shot needles totals away intelligence. The plant came with 2 plant zombies. If the plant grappled u for 2 turns u would turn into a plant zombie of urself. Had an alchemists, a Magnus, and a sorcerer and a fighter. All lvl 3.
Well they get thru the dungeon pretty well but the sorcerer got himself a shiny magical sword so he started going in and trying to melee the plant zombies and gone unconscious. The fighter and magus make short work of the zombies and the alchemist uses his mutagene to take on the cleric. Alchemist gets grappled and the fighter gets holdbperson cast on him. Magus is missing on the cleric.
sadly the alchemist fails grapple checks both times and becomes a plant zombie in its mutagenesis form.
So the fighter watches the alchemist tear into the magus and is basically fed to the zombie plant to become a zombie himself.

Sadly the dice gods were not with them in that match but the players loved going out in style and had the cleric and the zombiefied versions of the past party as bbeg in the campaign. So crazy how free flowing pnp can be when even game overs are just really just a new chapter in the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users