Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Worm

Worm

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:worm4real

God I hate the hacking in this game. I'm about to go and replay some of it just to put my specialization in mini games. I wanted to do kung-fu but hey, I'd rather take a lame skill that I only need for one mini game, I guess. I'm sure you guys have read a million threads like this but I have to put in this feedback. Please, Obsidian, send out a personal e-mail to Sega and ask one of the Yakuza guys to do your mini-games for you in future games.

I don't know if I have some character recognizition issue or what exactly. But I can barely see the differences in the letters for this mini-game. I cannot believe that this was tested or shopped around before it was declared a good idea. I'd almost prefer the lame "you need 7 points in hacking to hack this" way of handling it.

I wish you guys would shape up. Every single one of your games I play always has something like this that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Sorry for the highly negative post, but seeing stuff which obviously wasn't really thought out totally ruin my experience of something I bought (and I did buy it TWICE!) just depresses the hell out of me. I just know no matter how much I want to like your games I'm always going to have to put up with **** like this.

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3023 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Whenever you get frustrated of hacking or any other mini-game, load up Kingdoms of Amalur and try the dispell mini-game there. You'll run back the the mini-game that ahd you frustrated and thank the devs for putting it in.

Its worth to buy Kingdoms of Amalur just for the way it makes you enjoy mini-games in other games :p

Edited by melkathi, 23 January 2013 - 04:16 PM.

• Keyrock likes this

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

For the AP hacking game, I don't even look at the icons anymore.

Just for what's not moving in the moving icons.

Makes it generally pretty easy to spot the target, unless late-game on Hard.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1166 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hacking in AP was one of the cases where I had to get the hang of it, and after a pretty steep curve of adjusting, it went well even on hard, even by the end of each location.

I can imagine however that it depends on player skill much more than on the character's in game skill. Not a bad thing imo, the same is true for every serious shooter game out there - either you have quick reflexes and a certain ability to project future enemy movements, or you don't. In AP's case, either your pattern/movement recognition is good, or it's not. For me it was a combination of "seeing" non-moving parts of the scene and "seeing" certain number combinations, as well as getting a grip of the controls (played it on PC). "Seeing" into double quotes, because it was largely unconscious recognition by the time it really worked.

To avoid hacking one can use EMPs, and it's mostly optional anyway.

Edited by samm, 05 February 2013 - 01:55 PM.

Mr. Magniloquent

Mr. Magniloquent

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I never had any problems hacking. I can't say that I'm someone who likes to pixel hunt, but I found the challenge itself engaging enough. Sure, early on it usually came down to the wire, but that's what made success stimulating. I quickly learned to refine my visual search pattern and perform hacks passively at great speed--much like Samm has written.

Tagaziel

Tagaziel

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

If you squint or tilt the monitor it's easier to locate the static strings. Made my Psycho-Thorton playthrough much easier.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hate hacking, hate, i hate hacking, it makes me sick to my stomac, hacking makes me vomit blood, its the worst ever, id rather get cancer, it makes me sick, ask the yakuza team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users