Chris Avellone Plays Arcanum  

542 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to see Chris play Arcanum?

• Let's Play Document/Blog
    • 10 minute Let's Play YouTube video bites
    • Streamed on Twitch
    • Format doesn't matter to me, just enjoy it

I found the Arcanum MUCH more enjoyable once I replaced the music with the Fallout soundtrack.

No offense, but Arcanum's soundtrack is like a lullaby. It puts you to sleep even while you're committing sundry atrocities across the land.

That said, I never managed to finish the game. I've made at least two serious attempts... both times, as soon as I started really getting into it, I ran into game-ending bugs that were never fixed. :-/ 

Edited by Veraxus

I don't really care about replays or something else. I don't really want him to have too much pressure to play Arcanum. He could not to enjoy it: not thinking "well, that is a game interesting to play" but "oh, dawn stretch goal, fans want it, I HAVE TO play this game".

A little comment on twitter could be just enough for me.

@Veraxus: have you tried the unofficial patches that fix a lot of bugs?

Edited by Huinehtar

@Veraxus: have you tried the unofficial patches that fix a lot of bugs?

I didn't even know about them until seeing some references in this thread! I'm not sure I have it in me to go back and try again though. I've got a big enough backlog of games already and not nearly enough time.

But I'm more than happy to watch Chris Avellone play through the whole thing. Provided it's on YouTube or somewhere I can pause at will, I can watch the playthrough while I work.  :)

Sidenote: I'd prefer YouTube, but NOT in 10m clips. YouTube can take videos of any length, so split it up into 1h chunks please.

Edited by Veraxus

If it's Youtube, here's the procedure I recommend for maximal quality:

Record at a relatively low resolution (bewteen 800x600 and 1280x720)

Use Fraps to record both in-game and Microphone (it has that option for Windows Vista and up)

In Fraps, record at 30fps and check "Force lossless RGB capture"

Editing: use VirtualDub with x264vfw and the Lame mp3 codec.

Add a resize filter to at least 1200p, using Lanczos scaling.

x264vfw configuration: I leave everything at its defaults except Rate Control: CRF@22, and check the "VirtualDub Hack" checkbox.

Lame Mp3: 48000hz 320 kbps CBR Stereo.

Result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JtQOYutYKM

Edited by Zeckul
  • Like 1

I want to see videos of this.

Why would I want to see 10 minute clips on youtube? We're looking for your commentary not some pictures.

I think you are misunderstanding that vote option. The youtube 10 minute bites IS the video format, with commentary and everything. Just sized into bite sized pieces. (aka 10-20 minutes video).

I can't say I'm all that interested in watching somebody else play a computer game, but I would enjoy reading Mr. Chris Avellone's reflective game design comments in the aftermath, if he has an interest in such. :)

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

RPG Let's Plays are best done in screenshot-and-text format, though I understand the desire for live commentary from Avellone. I'm... conflicted.

Eh, if the player is new to the game and they're vocal and energetic it can be quite entertaining, so hearing their raw emotional reactions is fun. Though it's true that both A. Chris Avellone is not vocal and energetic (without alcohol,) B. He has some familiarity with the game and C. It's primarily silent-text based narrative and conversation. So obviously that wouldn't be too entertaining. Besides, he's a writer, so writing it would be the strongest format.

Edited by AGX-17

I want a mix of LP document and YouTube videos, not live streaming. I want Chris to be able to reload and not feel the pressure of a lot of people watching all the time.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

10 min Let's Play videos sounds like a horrible choice for a game like Arcanum. One of the worst aspects of the game is how stretched out it can be - walking is the thing that is done most of the time. Combat can be also pretty drawn-out and there are many combat passages that cannot be skipped (the Black Mountan Clan mines will take up easily 20 mins and it's a boring click-fest until you get to the very end).

I suggest a written Let's Play that highlights the interesting bits. Arcanum shines in the writing, as well as the choices and consequences department. That isn't something that can be appreciated when watching a video.

Plus, I suggest replaying it or at least reloading to check different outcomes. And don't be afraid to "**** things up" - most of the time the game will react appropriately. That is where Arcanum is truly brilliant (I only realized that after a couple of playthroughs).

Ended up just picking just have fun... but part of that's cause I prefer 'lets plays' that aren't 10 minutes. Never been a fan of the 10 minute little quips, kinda like a long advertisement at that point. Who sits down for 10 minutes of an RPG? 30 min chunks if there gonna records longer sessions make more sense then having a few hundred 10 minutes.

Def Con: kills owls dead

Chris Avellone is playing Arcanum to raise funds for the $4.0 million dollar stretch goal you helped us reach for Project Eternity. It's installed and he’s ready to start playing – we here at Obsidian wanted to know how you’d like it played!

• Let's Play Document/Blog
  • 10 minute Let's Play Youtube video bites
  • Streamed on Twitch
  • Format doesn’t matter to me, just enjoy it.
The poll will close on Wednesday (1/23/13) at 6:00PM Pacific Time. Thanks for you feedback!

Considering that the idea originally came from RPG Codex and that Chris Avellone will be playing a copy of Arcanum that was gifted to him by RPG Codex, I think it is only proper that he makes an LP thread at Codex Playground, the glorious LP subforum of RPG Codex. And also make 10-20 minute YouTube LP bites with commentary.

Edited by villain of the story
  • Like 3