This post pretty much:

This goes into this thread too I guess:

Sting-Sword-FX-Collectible.jpg

Items reacting to certain types of enemies. Glowing or whatnot, advantage of having weapon out is that you get more vision+know that enemies are around. Likewise, the disadvantage is that you are clearly easier to spot in the darkness if you have it out. Could allow for some strategical and tactical decisions and emerge interesting situations.

Suggested thread by mrstark.

Love the idea of weapons/equipment reacting to enemies nearby! That idea absolutely deserves its own thread, Osvir :). There's tons of potential in that idea!

Having the "Orc Slayer" makes Orc's lose morale? Maybe they hate the sword and they instead gain morale? (that's only related if there's going to be some sort of "Morale").

Likewise, having a Torch/Light source out could allow you a safe passage through a horde of bugs/wolves or whatnot that back of due to the light? ("I don't like the light"-monster)

Thoughts? What's the potential with the idea?

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Osvir, this inspired me to suggest the intelligent weapons post. Your "reactive" weapons suggestion is a form of intelligence.

I suppose it's how they communicate to their handler. Non-verbal using light/heat, or maybe highly vocal, warning the party of approaching danger etc.

All good ideas.

:)

• Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

This idea. Is one of the best I've read in a while, so simple to implement, so simple to possibly enchant a shield, so many types to warn against but so few number of weapons you carry. Which warning enchant do you take?

ORCS!!!!! *sword glows blue*

GOBLINS!!!!!! *sword glows green*

Fantastic idea!

I can imagine now, my party has being playing for hour(real time) and I always ALWAYS struggle against Hell Hounds - Their fast and by the time I see them their on my team, and I'm never ready but now...

Imagine walking through a dungeon when you notice your Shield starts glowing yellow.......... You stop knowing fine well there are Hell Hounds around. Hell Hounds. Urghhh gonna be a tough fight if there is a pack of them. You switch your formation around so the meat shields are blocking the path and push on. Slowly.

You see them and lay down your slows and stuns, block the tunnel best you can and attack from a distance... two get through the wall..... otto..... You we're prepared but was it enough?

Love the idea.. Really do!

Someone from the dev/moderators pass this idea on.

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.

We did have a lot of discussion on "preparation" in the early stages of the Kickstarter, this could be something?

How well can you prepare yourself? Can you prepare yourself wrong or can you always prepare yourself right? In Hardcore Ironman (Where I recall enemy encounters and mobs being somewhat random generated relative to spawn points in the world) will I always be prepared? Can I simply just "dish out" an enchantment on the fly to make myself easier prepared?

What's the disadvantages? What if you walk through the dungeon and you see the staff starts to glow yellow, "Damn, Hell Hounds!" but it's already too late, they spotted you through the Fog of War due to the glow. You are unaware that they've spotted you, all you know is that they are close and in "Pause" mode. Maybe preparing a spell or two but still... hmm.

But Sting reacts to orcs, orcs don't react to Sting. There's certainly merit in the idea of NPCs being intimidated (or the opposite,) by your species, soul, class, equipped gear or so on.

So, this might be more intimidating:

aNSf3.jpg

than this:

GjhZ7.jpg

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

I just figured if you've got a character in the dark/shadows, an orc stands a couple of feet away looking the character's way and there's a blue glow, the Orc should see it. Hence why I thought they could react to it. This depends on if P:E will utilize some light/vision mechanics where enemies can see you better from Fog of War if you've got a light source of some kind.

Gandalf picks up a sword after the Trolls (The Hobbit) which the Orcs react strongly to with hate and disgust (before Bilbo meets Gollum). A legendary sword which had slain many Orcs.

Could a weapon I use become a tool for "Morale"? If I've slain 100 Orcs in total, would their souls somehow linger within the blade and could make more Orcs drop in "Morale" or go "Berserk" when they see feel it?

I just figured if you've got a character in the dark/shadows, an orc stands a couple of feet away looking the character's way and there's a blue glow, the Orc should see it. Hence why I thought they could react to it. This depends on if P:E will utilize some light/vision mechanics where enemies can see you better from Fog of War if you've got a light source of some kind.

Gandalf picks up a sword after the Trolls (The Hobbit) which the Orcs react strongly to with hate and disgust (before Bilbo meets Gollum). A legendary sword which had slain many Orcs.

Could a weapon I use become a tool for "Morale"? If I've slain 100 Orcs in total, would their souls somehow linger within the blade and could make more Orcs drop in "Morale" or go "Berserk" when they see feel it?

Well, the idea behind Sting glowing is to alert its owner that there are Orcs creeping about in the shadows, not vice versa. If you're hiding from the orcs you already know they're there.

And ignoring the fact that orcs are not going to be in P:E, a sword that can suck up hundreds of souls would be some kind of abomination forged by the most powerful and evil demons of whatever hells might exist in that world. Besides that, such a soul-entrapping weapon filled with 100 souls of 'x' species/race would be hampered by that host of 100 'x' souls. If you have a sword full of vengeful orc ghosts (not in the P:E context since there are no orcs in P:E,) they're going to do whatever they can to hinder you in combat against orcs so that their deaths might be avenged by their own bretheren.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

The whole - can you prepare - was one of my points the glow alerts you to it so you now know they are there, from my imagined story you can see I implied you were not prepared "enough" you only knew what to expect to a certain degree.

Yellow for Hell Hounds (weak to ice) but there are just two being commanded by a reallly powerful demon (who is rather strong against ice) - So you prep your wizzard and swords with ice, it's then wasted against the main threat. It's just something that can help/hinder but a mechanic that can be used and not abused.

• Like 1

That is such a great idea AGX :) weapons becoming weaker the more you slay. Could a dying Wizard curse the player weapon? Can the player curse enemy weapons? (Making them not such a good idea to pick up but it helped in the fight, a group of some bandits with longswords, you wouldn't worry about picking up those long swords anyways, and probably not curse the opponent bosses).

But would such a function/mechanic make the Player decide whether to equip that badass sword you've got right now or wait a while because you don't want the sword to become weak?

Additionally of "durability" could there be some sort of "soul damage" to a weapon?

No orcs in P:E eh? Sounds all good :) I didn't know.

That is such a great idea AGX :) weapons becoming weaker the more you slay. Could a dying Wizard curse the player weapon? Can the player curse enemy weapons? (Making them not such a good idea to pick up but it helped in the fight, a group of some bandits with longswords, you wouldn't worry about picking up those long swords anyways, and probably not curse the opponent bosses).

But would such a function/mechanic make the Player decide whether to equip that badass sword you've got right now or wait a while because you don't want the sword to become weak?

I'm not advocating the idea, I'm saying that's how the concept would work if you applied logic to it.

Oh I'm just highlighting it because I thought it could be a cool idea :)

You adventure down the path, the sword you hold is struggling against you, in some ways trying to devour you and it's been doing it for a while now. As you enter the depths of the caves, the abomination from hell now welcomes you, smiling at you as you fight them and dies almost willingly by your hand, the other group you faced also did the same thing but now it's almost an extreme. That was the last of his thoughts before the sword in his hand stabbed through his own chest~ or something less ridiculed.

Would a strong soul be able to manipulate the soul(s) in the weapon, though? Could magic amplify it? Enchantments? Can enchantments come chaotically/naturally+proficiency? Or should it be more a controlled craft? Both?

Does weapons have souls? What is "soul"? (as in "What is mana?")

From a conceptual view, the weapon might be imbued with its own ranger-esque favoured enemy feat with an active listen/spot skill check for the creature type in question. But would it act independently of its handler, like a companion or familiar who attempts to taunt or intimidate the enemy? Presumably, the enemy reacts firstly to the weapon, before reacting to the wielder, although if the wielder had a higher taunt and/or intimidate skill active, the higher value might be used.

In terms of how the weapon alerts its handler, it could have some interesting variations. If it has an active listen/spot skill check (like an omni-radar detection), the alert could be a gradual glow effect, or a rising wave of sonic dissonance, or both. Maybe it emits its own creature noise like a growl/hiss/roar/rattle as its warning?

The next question is, when this happens, do the creatures detected *know* they've been detected? Do nearby or hidden enemies sense this and auto-react? Or only once they're in range of a taunt/intimidate attempt?

It could have some interesting roleplay outcomes for a stealthy PC trying to pass unseen through an area filled with weapon-reactive enemies.

Edited by TRX850

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Sorry, I was changing pants in reaction to that second image that AGX posted. You know, the one after the completely unintimidating pansy with the blue sword. My arachnophobia has been immediately replaced with farmpeasantophobia.

*assumes the fetal position* O_O

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Maybe fetal position isn't too good of an idea against -that- weapon bro. Sounds like an invitation.

EDIT: Looting houses in Baldur's Gate. If I loot a sword from some random commoner, wielding it/wearing it, could he react to it somehow? "That's my sword! Thief!" and you get to talk yourself out of it "Oh this? Yeah what about it I bought it". From the outcome of getting away with it to being hunted by guards.

Edited by Osvir

"Weapon glows if near enemy type" is cool and all, but it feels extraordinarily derivative given its use in the most famous piece of fantasy literature ever.

I'm pretty sure Tolkien didn't come up with the idea. But still, even if he did, using it as a reference point just shows good taste. Considering 99% of what this game will do is/has been thought up/used else where doesn't mean you can't use it in your own way. ^^

And ignoring the fact that orcs are not going to be in P:E, a sword that can suck up hundreds of souls would be some kind of abomination forged by the most powerful and evil demons of whatever hells might exist in that world. Besides that, such a soul-entrapping weapon filled with 100 souls of 'x' species/race would be hampered by that host of 100 'x' souls. If you have a sword full of vengeful orc ghosts (not in the P:E context since there are no orcs in P:E,) they're going to do whatever they can to hinder you in combat against orcs so that their deaths might be avenged by their own bretheren.

But nobody said anything about actually "sucking up" the souls. Maybe the sword just has an aura that lets sentient beings instincively know what it's done. You know, an orc looks at your Orcslayer sword and, without knowing anything about it, gets shivers running down his spine.

I kinda like that idea. You could argue that some people can also feel the aura of a person's soul but that you have to be very susceptible for that, while a sword's aura is right there on its surface. It would be a neat way to make that one weapon you're using special.

On a completely different note, soul-eating weapons are especially interesting in a world where souls are usually in a cycle of reincarnation. It's the one fate that's worse than death - knowing that your soul will be gone forever or maybe even in eternal torment.

But you don't need mighty demons to create these weapons. In the Vlad Taltos novels (which I love very much) there's an interesting twist to this: The Serioli, a very advanced race, built these soul-eating weapons a long time ago because they wanted to make wars so horrible that nobody would want to fight them anymore. As one of the main characters tells this to another, both with soul-eating weapons in their sheaths, the latter replies "well that was a stupid idea, everyone knows it doesn't work that way". The first replies "why, it worked for the Serioli".

What I like about that scenario (other than the fact that the writing's so much funnier than I could do here) is that it immediately puts the humans who now rule the lands in a very bad light. And if you think about modern weaponry... nuclear bombs weren't created by fiery demons from hell. We created them, and some of the people who did might even have had noble intentions.