You probably would have been better off just describing your idea instead of comparing it to the "Second Wind" mechanic, since some people still seem to be taking it literally rather than metaphorically.

Then I think some people need to read the entire post before criticizing and/or commenting on it. I describe the idea in the first post under "B".

Mechanics that lessen the impact of death I dislike. GW2 and Borderlands 2 are built around this 'second wind' mechanic. It might be okay for a very powerful special ability, but I'd rather see Obsidian implement abilities we need to use actively in combat, not passively rely on what amounts to a free resurrection.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

Mechanics that lessen the impact of death I dislike. GW2 and Borderlands 2 are built around this 'second wind' mechanic. It might be okay for a very powerful special ability, but I'd rather see Obsidian implement abilities we need to use actively in combat, not passively rely on what amounts to a free resurrection.

i think you are taking point A of op and disregarding point B that is his actual proposal

and it would not be a free resurection since there would be a price to pay for making it out alive, namely your gear and money that if you have gone down will be taken from you even if you do not die. this could also be used in reverse in order to win fights while keeping some of the enemies alive for questioning

that trick was also used in a way in the gothic series, where when you fought other humans, you did not kill them outright and neither did they, unless there was a reason

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

teknoman2 already addresses it. In Borderlands and GW2 it is pretty much a "free" resurrection... but you still have to take down someone to get up again. In a sense it is a sort of "mini-game". That is not what I am advocating.

But at the same time, I am advocating for a "free" resurrection, in a philosophical sense. I like the thoughts teknoman2 brings to light, namely "What do you lose?". Time. In one playthrough you run over the bandits like nothing, on another they run you over.

Likewise, what do you win? There's no real reward, except a "second chance" and more "narration". Most important: Material for your own Player/Main Character Plot. You get to get back into the game on your Ironman mode and you don't need to restart the game from the very start. It could be your life savior, you think you lost the battle but you are surprised as you wake up in a jail cell, still alive. A Narrated text describing the descent your character has made from being "The Hero", now a slave under the command of a greedy old Lord who has abused you for weeks. Now's your chance to escape.

In Baldur's Gate, you would have been dead when you met those Bandits and you would have had to create a new character (if permadeath). And that would have been that. I'm advocating for a "second chance" because I believe everyone deserves it. In Ironman mode perhaps even all of your companions dies, permadeath, and only your main character survived. Wouldn't that be quite a sudden twist to the story of your character? Something that necessarily didn't have to happen.... but it did. That is also part of "What do you lose?" and even "What did you win?".

Equipment, Gold, Reputation...?

How important is the Player's Journey through the game, and how important is the Main Character's Story for you? I think pretty important. A Narrative Second Wind could be one way for the Player to feel like he is "interacting" with the story and being a part of the story. It gives more material for your own Custom Home Made Main Character Story. "Who is your character?" type of thing~

I can kind of see this happening in some situations but I can't see much good come from this unless it limited to a few questlines only. For the average bandit, you have no real value and by the time end-game rolls, they should be too scared of you to even consider attacking (and if they do, scared of enough to just kill you straight). Wolves care not for such material wealth, and ogres would much rather kill you before throwing you into that pot, I'd presume.

All in all, it's a nice twist when pulled off successfully but I can't see this being pulled off well even if it's only the occasional quest fight; it has to be rare and very limited to quest-specific moments. Even if they would make sense story-wise, gameplay-wise even fairly conservative use of this would be a poor idea IMO.