Just going to copy and paste what I wrote in another thread.
Since there are gods (this also includes demons, powerful beings..etc), I hope they will be varied and not just the same. What I really do not like is gods that are understandable and petty. Greek gods are the best example, basically they are the worst of humanity put in human form, petty, greedy, jealous, ego centric, rapist, incestous bastards. Not that I do not want NO gods like that, but I hope we have gods that go up and down the spectrum of types. from beyond our understanding, to greek type gods, of gods that are beings of concepts and ideas, to gods that were once mortal and transcended mortality, to alien type bings, to demonic/evil gods, to lovecraftian gods...etc. Also, since there is different (hopefully something N-E-W and not another rehashed ideas of gods we have seen before), the gods/beings should hopefully be really alien/different.
I would also like to see a lot of different ways gods came about besides...the gods have always existed, or this god and that god mated and a new god was born.
Some different types
- some gods seem to always have existed, but they defy mortal understanding
- the old ones, the first beings that earned the title of gods, incredibly old and the gods fear them (lovecraft beings)
- A evil wizard finds a ritual that will turn a mortal into a god, it requires sacrificing a 1000 children during an eclipse, the wizard starts to set up war orphanages to help all the children who lost parents to war, and plan to have all the children brought together for a big surprise party on the day of eclipse.
- A knight has done the impossible, he/she has slain a GOD! and in an act of madness and adrenaline rush, he/she eats the heart of the fallen god and suddnely feels himself gaining incredible power, before he/she knows it, a new god is created.
- A wizard has collected so much power that he has become a god
- an item of incredible power imbues its welder with god status
Rumors, faith, and belief have power, a hero/villian deads have become legendary, the stories are that he is invincible, that nothing can stop him, as the story groes and fame grows, the story changes, he is the son of a god, then later he IS a god...soon the hero/villian finds he can feel power flowing into him from a thousand areas, he can feel the people believing/fearing him, he can do things that were impossible before and now can do with ease. A new god has been born. Another example is the god emperor, in some countries, the emperor is considered more than a man, he is a god. In a world were faith has power, it might become true and the emperor has trully become one with his peoples faith. Perhaps minor beings can gain power, going from small time to incredibly powerful, to godlike being. Say there is a wolf that always gets away from getting caught, its just a wolf, but its knack of getting away seems supernatural. People start believing the wolf is a spirit or being of great power. The wolf suddenly starts getting smarter, understanding mortal words, one day it can even talk which it does to many people. As the rumors grow, the wolf is a beautiful woman who changes into a wolf, the wolf finds it can turn into a mortal woman, the rumor spreads and and grows they believe its a god, one day a the beautiful wolf goddess of the woods is created. Things that do not exist could be created, a schemer opens up a fake religion to trick people into donating. He comes up with some fake god, kloto, god of good luck for friends and dark vengeance for enemies. As the faith grows, the collected faith congeals and forms a new being that fulfill the role, members find luck seem to follow them and those who hurt them seem to suffer. The schemer is shocked to find the god of his 'fake' religion appearing before him and to cast judgement. Sometimes demons/dark gods are created, a ghost in the cemetery creates all sorts of rumor, if you wish someone dead, write their name on a bone with your blood on it and leave it into the cemetery in a fresh grave. Old smiley will find the person and take them to the grave. The prank suddenly becomes real as people find missing people in fresh graves with bones with their names on it put in. Rumor spreads and twists, if you wish to bring back someone you love, you have to trade a life for a life, take person to the grave, call ole smiley, offer to trade for someone gone. Smiley will trade, but what you get in return might not be exactly what you wanted...then there are concepts, ideas...these are not created through a fixed image, but a subconscious fear, people fear the dark, they fear death...etc, These subconscious ideas have congealed to form many versions of similar 'gods' of death, darkness. (note, creating a god this way is pretty rare, why it works sometimes and not all the time is unknown)
What do gods live off of?
- Faith is power, they feed off the faith of their people, good for long term collecting
- sacrifices, an extreme power consumption in one gulp per sacrifice.
- acts done in their name
- feeding off other gods/powerful beings (forbidden)
What happens when gods do not feed?
- they lose power and become mortal
- they fade away
- they fall into a deep sleep until they are awakened by an influx of power and/or worshipers worship them again.