I've found the following site to be an extremely useful tool for the conceptualization and building of characters for NWN2. It's my hope that P:E includes something very similar to enable us to plan our characters from start to end. People have asked for the ability to "respec" their characters, but if one can plan the growth arc of a character properly ahead of time, this would eliminate a great many mistakes that lead to the call for "respecing".

http://nwn2db.com/

• Like 3

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Wouldn't it be better if our peculiar selections for a character build weren't considered a "mistake"? Otherwise this advanced planning just looks like min-maxing to me.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

i've never min-maxed in my life...its pure cheese. I always go out of my way so that my warriors have some charisma and either intelligence or wisdom, and the same goes for my other class choices in regards to physique.

That said, i think a character planner is a good idea as it allows for goal oriented character development. For example, if i'm a Cypher with limited ability choices i would, "realistically" as an rp'er, like to focus my time developing what i'm good at and things that would either supplement that discipline or cover a weakness that it leaves open.

without a proper goal a character would just pick abilities aimlessly and never mature into his/her role in the party, thus causing premature death for themselves and the party that depends on them.

so yeah, character planning when appropriate...but none of that boost intelligence to 18 means i need to drop wisdom to 3 crap...that's just bad game design.

Edited by NerdBoner

well it's

I've found the following site to be an extremely useful tool for the conceptualization and building of characters for NWN2. It's my hope that P:E includes something very similar to enable us to plan our characters from start to end. People have asked for the ability to "respec" their characters, but if one can plan the growth arc of a character properly ahead of time, this would eliminate a great many mistakes that lead to the call for "respecing".

http://nwn2db.com/

Yes, it can be great if P:E to be have a build optimization tool. Also respec no need at all.

Sorry for my bag English.  :dancing:

• 2 weeks later...

Yesss.. I fully support the idea of such a tool!!!

Cyphre's Companions Pack v0.75.2 | Cyphre's Dual-Wieldable Flails & Heavy Flails v1.2 | Cyphre's PrC Pack v0.75 | Cyphre's Remove Annoying Effects Extension (Tortoise Shell) v1.0

1equwd7qnahnqayd4y2s7xk.jpg

"O, the life of the Druid is the life of the land.

We are one with the dark earth on which we proudly stand.

One with the Mother who has suckled us from birth,

Her streams and her rivers, we are one with the earth;

One with the Father, whose oak supports the sky,

Who gazes on us daily with his great, immortal Eye..."

• 5 months later...

What if certain abilities that unlock at level 14 are story related. Building your character would reveal the Soul-haidouken+2 or Spirit-Crystal or some-such. I think having a major plot item potentially spoiled by your natural desire to plot out your character could hurt immersion. I'm sure there will be a P:E wiki where we can share builds and tactics. I think not knowing what you're doing your first play-through helps set the tone of your second play-through.

If the game had Lan/Internet multiplayer support I would see a lot more reason for a more fleshed-out character-planner UI.

Edited by .Leif.

Leif, I think that plot related feats and abilities wouldn't be class related.  When NWN2 came out, there were some excellent trainer mods that came out that allowed players to level up their characters and then try them in combat.  I'm not expecting anything like that, but a spreadsheet or planner allowing us to see how core abilities, feats, skills interact would be really handy considering this is a brand new system Obsidian is developing.

I think it would be great if they released something like this at the same time as the beta (for all backers, not just the beta key purchasers) as another way to ramp up the anticipation of the final product.  It could be set up as a planner for only the first 5 levels or so; just a teaser.  That would be another way to avoid spoilerish content.

Edited by curryinahurry