Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #32: Meet the Developers - Steve Weatherly

Project Eternity Steve Weatherly Development Programming

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

lolaldanee

lolaldanee

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
all this talking about drugs makes me sick
great update none the less - it is not often that you get to know and your questions ansered by the AI programer

Parmenides

Parmenides

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't know how much of this we're going to do, I like all of those ideas and I think it would be fun to build an AI that can do them. We'll just have to see which of those behaviors is a "fit" for the game. I think we'll almost certainly have smarter AI that will try to do things like protect a spell caster or other weak allies. That kind of things isn't too difficult to implement and makes for a more interesting challenge.

It's odd how AI features that aren't hard to implement aren't in many games. Most people want everything to be easy?

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1520 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I love these "Meet the developers"-updates! :)

I'm looking forward to meeting all the Obsids this way, and hopefully you'll throw in a presentation of George Ziets as well. That would make me and a lot of peeps here very happy indeed!
  • Hormalakh likes this

Zed

Zed

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:no
  • Xbox Gamertag:lol, no
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Thanks for the answers, Steve :brofist:

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1545 posts

I don't know how much of this we're going to do, I like all of those ideas and I think it would be fun to build an AI that can do them. We'll just have to see which of those behaviors is a "fit" for the game. I think we'll almost certainly have smarter AI that will try to do things like protect a spell caster or other weak allies. That kind of things isn't too difficult to implement and makes for a more interesting challenge.

Tim Cain talks about fuzzy logic in AI programming for Fallout 1 (if he were to do it again) and I'm sure he's got a whole array of AI ideas that you could implement. I hope you're working together with that guru on this very difficult and complex problem.

anek

anek

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 170 posts

Because the two engines are functionally very different it would mean doing everything twice, I don't know of very many people that like to do the same job twice. ;)

I heard that some software companies like to let their developers create a completely functioning full-featured prototype for a new software product, and then (no matter how well it works) discard it and let the developers design and develop it again completely from scratch, without being allowed to reuse any code from the prototype, but learning from the design mistakes and problems that they encountered with it. This is supposed to result in more robust software design and save the company money in the long run (less cost for fixing bugs and providing customer support).

But maybe that's just an Internet myth...

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
hey I had another question. Some companies have a day a week or once a month that let the staff do anything they want no matter what as long as it's related to a feature in game. Do you guys do anything like that? If not you really should as time goes on :)

Morkid

Morkid

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Cheers from an up-and-coming AI programmer!!

There's one thing I would really love to see in this game in terms of AI: Behaviour that scales according to intelligence (or whatever you call it in your new system). A creature with 5 intelligence would have to bevave differently in combat than a creature with 17 intelligence. Probably a more brutish, straightforward assault as opposed to a cunning tactical approach. That would also make intelligence-altering spells more meaningful in combat.

Thank you for answering!
  • Steve Weatherly likes this

Kaldurenik

Kaldurenik

Demilich of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Cant wait for some nice mage battles!

Oh i also hope we will have good path finding ai for both enemies and companions

Steve Weatherly

Steve Weatherly

(1) Prestidigitator

• Developers
  • 17 posts

hey I had another question. Some companies have a day a week or once a month that let the staff do anything they want no matter what as long as it's related to a feature in game. Do you guys do anything like that? If not you really should as time goes on :)

We don't have a time specifically devoted to that no. But as long as time isn't taken away from planned features, we're usually free to explore those kinds of things (especially in pre-production).

Scorch

Scorch

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Silver Backer
On AI stuff, have you guys discussed whether you're going with more structured aggro/threat management like in MMOs and DA, or more freeform like in the IE games?

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4763 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Oh, heck, I hope they don't take over the horrible MMO "Aggro" idea...

I despise it about as much as Tank/DPS/Healer. Let's break that downward spiral, please.
It didn't help DA at all... rogues should be rogues... not damage dealers :/

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1240 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I would very much like to see better AI, with enemies trying to actively outflank you and such.

I recognize that it would probably be too much of a break with cRPG tradition, but I'd like to see AI features of squad-based real-time tactical games introduced. Like suppressive fire, units seeking cover autonomously if under fire, even (dare I say it?) morale. The latter would be a natural tie-in to abilities and skills and would make things like willpower more meaningful.
  • Hormalakh likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project Eternity, Steve Weatherly, Development, Programming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users