Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #31: Enter the Story Zone

Story Josh Sawyer Chris Avellone Project Eternity

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

DCParry

DCParry

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
As someone whose research areas touch on narrative studies, I always enjoy reading about "living" narrative strategies (most of my subjects have been dead 2000 years or so). I really am excited to see what the team comes up, as from the post I get the feeling they have a solid idea on why integrated narrative structures are fundamental to a compelling narrative. It is often hard to find the right balance, especially when there is a different type of fun in pulling towards a more sandbox environment. I look forward to seeing how these move from here!

Gyor

Gyor

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm fine with this update, except they said it was going to be a lore update and it wasn't. I was actually looking a lore update, say on races, classes, places, whatever.

They should have said this was game design philosphy update, because now I'm disappointed, I was lead to believe it would be lore.

This is 100% lore free.

Muzzle

Muzzle

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
He talks mostly about the beginning of the lore, how political it should be and so on

I'm fine with this update, except they said it was going to be a lore update and it wasn't. I was actually looking a lore update, say on races, classes, places, whatever.

They should have said this was game design philosphy update, because now I'm disappointed, I was lead to believe it would be lore.

This is 100% lore free.

he talks mostly about getting into the lore, does this work or now, how political should it be. Very interesting to me!

P.S. Chris be nice to Virgil!!!! please

Edited by Muzzle, 15 November 2012 - 06:56 PM.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2055 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

THESE COLOURS DON'T RUN

Edited by Sensuki, 15 November 2012 - 07:26 PM.

• Muzzle likes this

Muzzle

Muzzle

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhboyKhhaCw

THESE COLOURS DON'T RUN

what are the Eternity colors at this point?

Comedian

Comedian

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Props to Mr. Avellone. Arcanum is like a wife, you hate her and you love her.

And sometimes you just want to kill her... oh, wait, did I said it out loud?

kenup

kenup

Combat Illusionist of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Thanks for the update!

Anyone else thought someone, recorded, would start screaming in pain, when Josh Sawyer threw that mace?

Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1281 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I watched this video and can't remember a thing. Cover your tats man, they're hypnotic
  • Theobeau likes this

Frenetic Pony

Frenetic Pony

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Pretty standard stuff. Choose one "Your characters if F*d because of X" see stuff like this, The Witcher 2, etc. Choice 2, the world is going to end! You live in the world, so you should probably stop that.

I understand the problem of motivation, but it's so utterly limiting in story and what you encounter in RPGs. Then again there are RPGs that don't have that. And you can easily stop yourself in the middle of those and ask "wait, why don't I just stop? Why is my character even going on with this?" I suppose it's just a limit of the type of game being made.

Edited by Frenetic Pony, 15 November 2012 - 10:54 PM.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4616 posts
  • Gold Backer
As Spiderman says, I spidey sense you, FP, but that's simply the problem. Some games do a great job. I think Mask of the Betrayer really managed to reward characters for various decisions, and I don't mean with game mechanic things like abilities and attributes or even items. Sure, there were specific things you received for some actions in the game, but the big payoff was in the reward. Devour a god, and you're showing your badass side. Is it kinda nice to get an ingame bennie for it? :Cant's shrugging icon: Sure. But the real reward was being *that* guy who devoured a god. Decided to lay all those scribes to their final repose after so much time spent suffering? Who cares that you didn't get some super power. You were *that* guy who laid the rest to death and ended their suffering.

The trick to rewarding role playing is to offer a role-playing reward. It's always good to offer game mechanic rewards, but you can spread those out a little more sparingly if you're good at what Avellone less than artfully calls "ego stroking."

I think Obsidz has shown they can do it, and now they need to step it up a notch. They can do it. Not only that, but they can do it in a very controled, linear game like PS:T and they can do it in about as open ended a sandbox game like New Vegas. There is no excuse. They can do, and we should expect it. It's not good enough provide as good as they've ever done. The stars are aligned, the butterfly has flapped its wings, the storm is perfect. Time to step up to the plate, Casey, and this time there's no striking out.

Of course, this could all be the wine talking. *shrug*
  • Osvir likes this

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5813 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

One thing to say. Avellone as logger is awesome.

It's actually Arnie playing Col. John Matrix in Commando. With Chris' head on. It is a clue that P:E will have a special forces revenge plot involving rocket launchers.
  • Amyrantha, Hormalakh and Sacred_Path like this

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5813 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
'Twas useful for me, this update. Mainly because it reinforces the radical difference in process between writing games and novels. And this is a false comparison that gets bandied around a lot on the forums.

The relationship between writing and design is looking a bit clearer to me, so that was a useful tidbit.
  • Ignatius, Hormalakh and Malekith like this

Skie Nightfall

Skie Nightfall

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Love those updates.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2623 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
That and "punching the dolphin of choice out of the ocean" has to be my quote for the day... :shifty:
  • Aedelric likes this

Theobeau

Theobeau

A Madman with a Box of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Interesting update and further illuminates the process of writing for and producing a great cRPG.

With his tribal tattoos, ownership of medieval weaponry and possible great affection for antiquarian books JE Sawyer could make for a memorable PE character.

After all this in a pre-printing press age books are likely to be rare and who better as their guardian than JE Sawyer; one scary ass head-librarian who will really take you to town if you are late in returning one of those damned rare illuminated manuscripts!

Amarantha

Amarantha

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Silver Backer

I just hope that you aren't forced to be the good guy, or a good guy who happens to do a lot of bad things but ultimately saves everyone.

What if I want to take over the world with forbidden magic? An evil ending lets you take the plot in different and interesting directions, allowing the exploration of more sophisticated literary themes and potentially doubling the replayability.

qft

Been waiting for years for a true RPG giving me the option to play an evil character and roleplay him/her the way I like instead of being forced down one path.
I really hope Project Eternity is it.
  • Malekith likes this

Aedelric

Aedelric

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 473 posts
"Punch the dolphin of choice out of the ocean."

Such a statement can not be followed up, it speaks for itself. :D
  • Paulicus and Hormalakh like this

mieu

mieu

Lich Battlemage of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MoogleMieu

I just hope that you aren't forced to be the good guy, or a good guy who happens to do a lot of bad things but ultimately saves everyone.

What if I want to take over the world with forbidden magic? An evil ending lets you take the plot in different and interesting directions, allowing the exploration of more sophisticated literary themes and potentially doubling the replayability.

.Here here :cat:

Edited by mieu, 16 November 2012 - 03:26 AM.

mieu

mieu

Lich Battlemage of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MoogleMieu

Anyone think upgrades may be a bit too frequent?

I would rather like it when they could just, well, tell us stuff. Rather than mumble stuff. Just because there need to be weekly or so updates. While there is no clear definition of stuff.
Or am I alone there?

..Your alone :cat:

Isamael

Isamael

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
There was a comment on the youtube video that, while crudely put, deserves some recognition - if we can at all avoid a zombie-ish apocalypse as a looming threat in the Eternity storyline, I would be very pleased and doubly grateful. What is it about the undead that make them restless every time there's an adventure to be had?

That said, I expect good things from the story, and truth be told I can put up with any number of tropes if we can but have player choices that relate to their character's (perceived) personality instead of subscribing to the tired and arbitrary "good / evil / neutral" trinity. The Witcher games, for instance, did a great job of creating a world of moral ambiguities - but the dialogue and story suffered because you were tied to this rather apersonal and boring character. In Dragon Age (the first) most dialogue choices would lead to largely the same results (as does, indeed, most any branching dialogue trees - they are immensely difficult to write) but there were a plethora of different...spins or moods. I had envisioned my character as sassy and disorderly to the outside, a character who loathed authority, but ultimately had a good heart - and found to my surprise that the game would let me play the character just so. The outcomes were, perhaps, identical to the ones a two-dimensional goody-two-shoes would have gotten - but I got to experience them with my vision of my character intact. This is something I found immensely rewarding and would like to see again.

Furthermore.... Wait. Oh dear, did I just start arguing dialogue construction in a story post?
I did, didn't I...

My apologies.
Consider then my standpoint this:

LONG TERM NON-APPARENT CONSEQUENCES PLZ!1

Edited by Isamael, 16 November 2012 - 03:48 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Story, Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone, Project Eternity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users