The official Update 20 camp-out thread

In the moderately tempered early morning outside the closed doors of Obsidian Entertainment's downtown Irvine, CA headquarters, a line of ethereal beings wait outside their doors eagerly awaiting tomorrow's Project Eternity in-game demo screenshot.

As I write this it's around 9:30PM Eastern Australian Daylight Saving Time. Obsidian have stated that Kickstarter Update 20 will be launched at precisely (~) 10:00AM PDT, which is 4:00AM my time.

I do not have uni or work tomorrow, so I'm camping out until the update!

I've got 3 bottles of coke and plenty of music to bide my time, although I've exhausted all TV show episodes for the week, so later on I may have to plug in my old 22" CRT monitor (my 24" is up in the bungalow) and break out an infinity engine game.

6.5 hours to go :)

My predictions for tomorrow's update

Last week (or the week before), Feargus stated that their VO Director guy was on honeymoon, my bet is he's back now and they'll have something to share for us there in the Voice Acting department.

I think the update tomorrow will include (besides a new tier and some add-ons) and Josh's lore.

Screenshot

Player Stronghold

Voice Acting

Perhaps an announcement on Composer (go Justin) or Portrait Artist

Maybe the 2 unannounced races

3 or 4 more stretch goals

and hopefully I'll get my interview back so I can put it up before the weekend.

(now playing: Isis - Wrists of Kings)

Edited by Sensuki

Oh man, that means it'll probably come out around... 6am here, gah. But I have tomorrow off work... This is terribly tempting. Hm, I do do have some extra work that I could get done while I wait too, and I've been meaning to start a new game of BG1 or MotB.

Hadn't even thought of the voice acting, but I think that sounds like a pretty plausible guess for what they might announce tomorrow.

I thought they'd said they deliberarely weren't going for voice acting on PE? While full voice acting's great in theory, I thought Chris Avellone made some compelling arguments a while back as to why modern game's demand for it gets in the way of good writing? Personally, I'll be happy if they go for either completely non-voiced text or the occasional voice actor like in Fallout, voice acting's rarely that great in games especially on a tight budget, and to me it takes away from the atmosphere more often than it adds to it.

I thought they'd said they deliberarely weren't going for voice acting on PE? While full voice acting's great in theory, I thought Chris Avellone made some compelling arguments a while back as to why modern game's demand for it gets in the way of good writing? Personally, I'll be happy if they go for either completely non-voiced text or the occasional voice actor like in Fallout, voice acting's rarely that great in games especially on a tight budget, and to me it takes away from the atmosphere more often than it adds to it.

They won't do full voice-acting. No. Voice Acting related goals are still possible though. For example hiring a especially good narrator.

They've said that the level of VO will be around the same as Baldur's Gate 1 & 2.

The Voice actors may not even be goals, might just be announcements ... but it'd make more sense as a goal ... at 3 Million you get Jim Cummings, Grey De Lisle etc etc

Edited by Sensuki

They won't do full voice-acting. No. Voice Acting related goals are still possible though. For example hiring a especially good narrator.

I've been promoting hiring David Ogden Stiers as the narrator. He was the narrator/voice of Belhifet in Icewind Dale. Some of you may also remember him as the guy who played Oberoth in Stargate: Atlantis.

• Like 1

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

They've said that the level of VO will be around the same as Baldur's Gate 1 & 2.

The Voice actors may not even be goals, might just be announcements ... but it'd make more sense as a goal ... at 3 Million you get Jim Cummings, Grey De Lisle etc etc

Exactly, the BG games had some great quality voice actors in them and there were a couple of threads around at some point asking for specific ones. You'd be surprised by how much even a small amount of voicing can add to a game, it gives you a hint of what that character sounds like. And I know for myself whenever I read anything else that character says without voicing I will be reading it as if the voice actor is speaking the lines in my head. A talented VO can make a good character even better. And with limited voicing like the BG series I'd say maybe they could afford decent voice actors if they wanted them (though that is a guess).

I'm certainly not expecting and do not want full voicing of any sort.

I think that will be about 8pm in the UK. As for VO as long as they get good screaming noises as my barbaric horde cleaves its way across the world, and they get the lamentation of their women just right then I shall be satisfied.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

9:30am PST....well, since it's currently 4:30am PST for me (couldn't sleep...), I have a feeling I'm going to be snoozing in bed by then. I'm hoping for/would definitely love a screenshot, if they have one.

I've been promoting hiring David Ogden Stiers as the narrator. He was the narrator/voice of Belhifet in Icewind Dale. Some of you may also remember him as the guy who played Oberoth in Stargate: Atlantis.

He's been in tons of stuff over the years, including MASH and Cogsworth in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Always a reliable, great actor. I'd be on board for him as a narrator.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

9:30am PST....well, since it's currently 4:30am PST for me (couldn't sleep...), I have a feeling I'm going to be snoozing in bed by then. I'm hoping for/would definitely love a screenshot, if they have one.

He's been in tons of stuff over the years, including MASH and Cogsworth in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Always a reliable, great actor. I'd be on board for him as a narrator.

Absolutely. It's not all stuff that I've had the opportunity to see, so he's bound to be remembered for different things by different people. He'd definitely bring even more class and talent to the narrative.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

A 5,000 backer dropped out.

edit: that's actually better because then ~97% of the money goes to Obsidian rather than 90%.

So we should use paypal instead of kickstarter to get more money to the project? That is good to know.

Edited by Rink

That would be 7 pm here and it's 2.30 pm now. Yeesh. Luckily I'm traveling from 4 pm to 8 pm, so I won't really have to "camp" here and the update will probably be online by the time I reach my destination.

Also... John Mayer? What, would he sing the narration or sth? And I actually never noticed Felicia Day in FNV... which character did she voice?

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Eagerly awaiting the screenshot while polishing my +5 Holy Avenger. Will be fun to see this forum on fire.

Whoa, man, too much information. :p

Count me in as way too excited about a screen shot. I'll be rolling a new party in IWD2 to pass the time.

Guh, I just went through this nonsense with Diablo 3. I just hope Obsidian doesn't burn me like that game did, well it was a fine game but... yeah. Well, at least it will be 1 year instead of 6.

Also, where do you retrieve your official PE backer badge? I think you get one for pledging, but... I can't find figure out where that is.

Edited by Ignatius
  • Like 1