Character Customization  

219 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to affect your characters appearance?

• Sliders [DAO, TES, NwN2]
    • Portraits with choice of pre-rendered body parts [NwN]
    • Portrait with choice of prerendered body based on race and sex [BG]
    • Only Portrait [Arcanum]
    • None [PsT]
    • Other [Describe]

I loved the way Troika's TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL did it.

You could adjust height within the racial type's height limits, hairstyles and hair color, skin tone within racial type and of course gender and race altered the look as well.

It made for characters who could look different from one another despite being the same race and class and was generally noticeable from the isometric view.

Yeap, i think same.

For me was best system for customization.

Colors of the cloth's. No dye mechanic in-game that you have to buy please.

I loved the Baldur's Gate simplicity of just changing the colors. Apart from that I kind of do want to see some hair customization, then I'm all good. Perhaps a set of 3 different "basic models" for each class/race/gender.

What I mean is... in BG we got this and I would kind of prefer this (<my suggestion to be>):

* Human M/F Warrior (x3)

* Human M/F Mage (x3)

* Human M/F Rogue (x3)

* 4 Color Modifications, Hair-, Skin-, 2xClothing Palette's (I would love to see this taken just a small step further, where you can change the color of helmets and armors. In BG you could only change the basic "No Equipment" parts of the character model clothes)

EDIT: I would love to see some sort of "Wolfenstein" thing with the portrait's. The more damage you take, the more scarified and such they could get.

edited: correcting myself

Other then the Wolfenstein idea, I am pretty much with you, some hair customisation would be great, I felt that was sorely missing from BG, especially so when you could see that Drizzt had long hair for his animations in game, yet your character (playing as an elf) could not have long hair!

I think if done tastefully your "damage over time" idea with the portraits is actually not bad, but I shudder to think about it if done poorly, regardless that's a lot more work for the portrait artist. You could see some form of this with the transition from BG1 to BG2 with the new portraits, the "canon" NPCs that follow you to chateau Irenicus (ie Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen) look somewhat injured compared to the originals in order to give an indication as to the experiences Irenicus subjects everyone to.

Which is interesting in itself as your portrait doesn't show any signs of damage, obviously I can tell why (you can have a custom portrait foe example), but thought it worth mentioning.

I prefer the portrait and fairly generic sprite with changeable colours method still. It's actually only been very recently that I think that face customisation on models has been catching up, and still, there isn't as much possible variation as there is with portraits -- although this does assume that you can add in custom portraits, which is definitely what I'd hope for.

I find that it's easier to imagine the not-very-individual sprite as looking like your character in combination with the portrait than it is to imagine a more detailed model to resemble the portrait if it doesn't. It might be nice if there was just a wee bit more customisation to the sprite (hair lengths, beard/no beard, that kind of thing), but just one hairstyle is to me also fine.

knightofchaoss.jpg

I prefer the portrait and fairly generic sprite with changeable colours method still. It's actually only been very recently that I think that face customisation on models has been catching up, and still, there isn't as much possible variation as there is with portraits -- although this does assume that you can add in custom portraits, which is definitely what I'd hope for.

I find that it's easier to imagine the not-very-individual sprite as looking like your character in combination with the portrait than it is to imagine a more detailed model to resemble the portrait if it doesn't. It might be nice if there was just a wee bit more customisation to the sprite (hair lengths, beard/no beard, that kind of thing), but just one hairstyle is to me also fine.

for what its worth, they aren't going to be sprites.

Yeah, wrong word there. I know that they are not going to be actual sprites, but the right term for it escaped me at the time (long day) -- thanks for pointing it out, though. I suppose just going with "character models" would've been better. Anyhow, my basic opinion on the matter is still the same.

knightofchaoss.jpg

But they did talk about portraits, which I think should make quite a few people happy. :)

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Yeah, wrong word there. I know that they are not going to be actual sprites, but the right term for it escaped me at the time (long day) -- thanks for pointing it out, though. I suppose just going with "character models" would've been better. Anyhow, my basic opinion on the matter is still the same.

I figured, just wasn't sure if being 3d models would change your opinion at all. I still want to be able to make different human males (and every other combination) look like different people beyond just hair color. A few basic options like skin color, hair and facial hair would be plenty.

Edited by ogrezilla

Things you can actually see versus tiny details that you'd barely be able to see even if you can zoom? Unless they were using those tiny details in face portraits . . . I guess . . . but still, I think I'm not the only one that would just prefer oldschool painted portraits when it came to such things. Maybe I'm wrong, I obviously don't speak for everyone.

Edited by Umberlin

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

I figured, just wasn't sure if being 3d models would change your opinion at all. I still want to be able to make different human males (and every other combination) look like different people beyond just hair color. A few basic options like skin color, hair and facial hair would be plenty.

No problem. It doesn't, because I figure that with the isometric style they'll be probably not much larger than the old sprites were, so it'll likely be about the same level of perceivable detail. I could be wrong about that, of course, and then I'd want more options. Skin and hair colour I definitely think should be changeable, and I do think that having at least one or two different options for hair and facial hair would be a plus -- but I'd be fine with just one hairstyle. I suppose my main point is that if there is a portrait, I rely on the portrait to represent what the character looks like, and then I just want the model to not conflict with that in too noticable a fashion.

After giving it some more thought, height and build are also things that I think would be nice if they are there, but I probably won't miss them too much if they aren't.

knightofchaoss.jpg

No problem. It doesn't, because I figure that with the isometric style they'll be probably not much larger than the old sprites were, so it'll likely be about the same level of perceivable detail. I could be wrong about that, of course, and then I'd want more options. Skin and hair colour I definitely think should be changeable, and I do think that having at least one or two different options for hair and facial hair would be a plus -- but I'd be fine with just one hairstyle. I suppose my main point is that if there is a portrait, I rely on the portrait to represent what the character looks like, and then I just want the model to not conflict with that in too noticable a fashion.

After giving it some more thought, height and build are also things that I think would be nice if they are there, but I probably won't miss them too much if they aren't.

none of these are deal breakers for me either certainly. I figure it isn't asking too much to expect something on the level of Temple of Elemental Evil customization.

Keep in mind since it wont be a 100% 3D game, it's 3D characters, 2D pre-rendered gameworld. They can't do D3-style 'zoom in'. That's where it tiltes the camera down to zoom in on stuff, they also wont be doing any cinematic cutscenes.. games literally gonna be IE/ToEE style in anything like that will still play out with the same camera, and zooming in would just give you a closer look at the top of there head (or awkwardly angled face).

So, outside of a character inventory, or perhaps a GW2 style conversation thing... yeah. I actually kind of like how GW2 does its conversations where the whole game world kinda fades away with a painted background and you see the characters tanding opposed to eachother with talking animations (often look kinda bad). 'That' kinda zoomed in conversation thing would actually work great in an IE style game with 3D models as that type of zoomed in approach would let us see things in an angle and distance you don't get outa normal exploration/combat.

Either way I think height/width (and maybe fat/musle) are the most important 'sliders' for me, or a game of this view angle.

Edited by Adhin

Def Con: kills owls dead

I want portraits and some customisation, ie. Height, maybe weight, skin colour, hair colour and styles. I just really want long hair for once.

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

Yeah, long hair would be cool. It's strange how that's somehow the most difficult thing in the world to do.

Cloaks as well.

I'd like both hair and cloaks react with some belieavability to movement, not just point straight down like they were made of steel sheet.

It'd be awesome to see the wind blowing with hair and cloak flapping about.

• Like 1

Thinking about it, I wonder how they're going to do the inventory paperdolls? Because I think the BG2 ones were art? While the BG1 ones were the sprites (I think, been a while), and ToEE of course uses the same 3D character models that you wander around with. I think perhaps going with slightly larger versions of the 3D models (like ToEE did?) might be easiest and would still look good.

I would love to see the blend of BG 2 pre-rendered bodies with option to change skin and hair tone and Arcanum array of portraits for each race, I personally dont need anything else. Nice touch would be also having weapons colored like in the Planescape Torment, like rusty dagger actually looked rusty, wooden club was wood brown, hammer with acid damage was green, and so on. Each weapon of certain type(hammers, axes) had one sprite/model/whateverisitcalled but with colour swaps it got immediately more lively and recognizable and put the weapon in character so to speak, not to mention it looked really nice, without need for any of those oh-so-eye-cuddling, bigg-and-shiny Sparkles of Power or Halos of Eye-Candy.

Edited by Ywerion

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.

Yeah, long hair would be cool. It's strange how that's somehow the most difficult thing in the world to do.

Cloaks as well.

I'd like both hair and cloaks react with some belieavability to movement, not just point straight down like they were made of steel sheet.

It'd be awesome to see the wind blowing with hair and cloak flapping about.

You know what? I know a technique how to do this using 2d and it would work fine in this type of game. In fact, I don't think it's an unreasonable request. I'd be willing to mod it if possible, depending on the direction they go with things. Worst case scenario dev's could pre-render cloaks and other cloth simulations and import them back in and still most of the time they don't because of clipping issues. Although users of the new Unreal engine will notice fully real time cloth simulation this next generation with UDK4. i'm not sure if Unity 4 supports it or not, but my industry friends using it right now love it to pieces.

I want sliders but not in the TES way of a zillion inconsequential options, just want general face presets, and sliders for skin tone, hair style, beard style, hair color, (and maybe eye color and face tattoos?) I guess that should be enough. And then the game takes a snapshot (maybe we can rotate the face to an angle we want and we take the snapshot) and that'll be your portrait.

Will this game even allow rendered character images per NWN2? That seems unlikely given the isometric display scheme. I was just expecting a portrait selection along the lines of the BG series. But rendered portraits would be nice, if it can be done cost-effectively. That way they could apply facial expressions for different states and conditions, if they so choose.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Meh, rendered portraits always look fairly horrible. What say I, extremely horrible.

I rather have portraits, and if we really need to express states in expression, make multiple per character. If they can for transitions in KOTOR, they surely can here. Especially with 2.8 million and a bunch of good graphic designers...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Meh, rendered portraits always look fairly horrible. What say I, extremely horrible.

I rather have portraits, and if we really need to express states in expression, make multiple per character. If they can for transitions in KOTOR, they surely can here. Especially with 2.8 million and a bunch of good graphic designers...

Very true. As in Oblivion where you spend 15 minutes just trying to make your character look half way decent. I'm sure the uncanny valley has something to do with it.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I really like the idea of painted portraits. I tend to get ideas for character builds based on them.

Very true. As in Oblivion where you spend 15 minutes just trying to make your character look half way decent. I'm sure the uncanny valley has something to do with it.

I wanted my character not to look ugly, which was very hard in that game (for me). I think that it ws partly an issue with facial structure. I though many of the characters looked like they had a balloon head.