On firearms and bayonets

Since we already heard that firearms will have slow rate of fire, I think it will be appropriate to allow attaching to long ones bayonets(separately existent) effectively allowing to use them as spears(within separate training of course).

My reasoning is simple:

- if bow has higher firing speed(more attacks per same amount of time, NOT initiative), then with arrows granting some sort of save-or-something type of additional effect, firearms might become a nuisance in inventory(especially so if weight of arms and ammo itself will be realistic, which i am all for)

- while it does provide user some versatility, while it does not make it universal super soldier (no defense bonus in close range, just ability to keep distance)

- that is well known combo from history

Yes, i understand that making this smooth is probably hard, as it requires switch in combat UI that allows going from reloading to melee, but, please, consider an option :biggrin:

Historically the bayonet came centuries after firearms, sometime in the 17th century I think.

Now Eternity is obviously not a completely accurate history or europe, but still.

I'd prefer just switching to swords when necessary.

Historically the bayonet came centuries after firearms, sometime in the 17th century I think.

Now Eternity is obviously not a completely accurate history or europe, but still.

I'd prefer just switching to swords when necessary.

There might be a problem here: weight/space of additional arms(sword in this case) since firearms themselves(at least long ones) can be rather heavy(if we speak realistically of course).

Bayonets became common when carrying an actual separate melee weapon became too inconvenient, which shouldn't be the case in P:E.

Since we already heard that firearms will have slow rate of fire, I think it will be appropriate to allow attaching to long ones bayonets(separately existent) effectively allowing to use them as spears(within separate training of course).

I don't think it's what you really meant, but I want to emphasize that attaching a bayonet to a rifle does not make it a spear. Bayonet makes a rifle much more useful in close combat, but it's still vastly inferior to an actual melee weapon like a saber or a spear.

I don't think it's what you really meant, but I want to emphasize that attaching a bayonet to a rifle does not make it a spear. Bayonet makes a rifle much more useful in close combat, but it's still vastly inferior to an actual melee weapon like a saber or a spear.

I totally agree, but having separate skill for weapon with bayonet? ... Maybe just making melee mode rather low damage, or damage depended on different stat then shooting mode can make balance things ?