Will P:E have a boxed version after launch?

It would make sense that there wouldn't be boxed sets after the Kickstarter because (1) the physical materials and shipping would be prepaid by KS backers and (2) creating the boxed sets and any other swag after KS is risky because they require the manufacturing costs and storage and shipping labor and fees, and there's no guarantee that Obsidian can earn back those costs.

Edit: Of course, if there are extras after KS, I expect Obsidian would be able to sell them at a premium... ;)

Edited by Ieo

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I asked in the Kickstarter chat before: If you want a boxed version then you have to pledge - this is especially true for the collectors edition. After the kickstarter has ended you will only be able to get a digital version or a version in a regular DVD case (I am not even sure about the latter).

Oh yeah, if you are a true collector and want the regular AND the collectors edition boxes (both are going to be extremely rare) then select a tier with the collectors edition box ($140+) and manually add $65 to your pledge. Don't forget about international shipping! :)

Edited by dlux
  • Like 1

:closed:

Obsidian will not be mass producing boxed versions? If the game sells well, and right now looking at Kickstarter feedback and all over the net, there is a lot of buzz. Unless Obsidian unexpectedly drops the ball on something, there should be a demand for the physical product. Like me I bought the boxed versions of BG2 so I can collect that legendary game, and I play it using a digital copy of the game. Fot those who missed out hearing about Kickstarter for example, they would want a boxed set. Perhaps Obsidian can sell the boxed versions at their own store?

Obsidian will not be mass producing boxed versions? If the game sells well, and right now looking at Kickstarter feedback and all over the net, there is a lot of buzz. Unless Obsidian unexpectedly drops the ball on something, there should be a demand for the physical product. Like me I bought the boxed versions of BG2 so I can collect that legendary game, and I play it using a digital copy of the game. Fot those who missed out hearing about Kickstarter for example, they would want a boxed set. Perhaps Obsidian can sell the boxed versions at their own store?

With "box version" they mean something like the classic cardboard box that we had for PC games back in the 90's. I am pretty sure that this game will sell very well and there will be physical copies sold in stores - but only in a DVD case. If you want a box version, then you have to pledge.

I think most people just think of "boxed copy" as being anything physical (even if it's just a DVD case).

I think they'll only pursue something like this if Project Eternity is stupendously successful. Even then, it's possible they'd have to make arrangements with a publisher just to help with the distribution channel (although Obsidian would haev a ton more bargaining potential).

They may do "made to order" boxed copies, though, if demand is high enough (expect a price premium). Kind of similar to how they are doing them now.

If they feel they can fulfill it from the Kickstarter and that doesn't turn out to be a burden more than they had planned on, I would expect there to be some boxed option available for order. We have a long way to go (2014!), so anything is possible.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I am pretty sure that Fargo and others have stated that creating and distributing physical copies to retailers costs around $10 million.

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

The materials aren't expensive, as I wrote in the other thread about this, I've bought albums from bands that have been put together really well, and none of them have been in as good position as Obsidian. The only reason Obsidian shouldn't sell a boxed version on this website is that there is little demand. They could even think about selling a collectors edition and charge more than the Kickstarter one.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Having a DVD cased version is not really that expensive (if they sell it on their website). It gets expensive when they want to sell it at retailers. The distribution and logistic costs are very high and the retailer also takes a HUGE cut (I believe it was something like 40-50%).

Having a DVD cased version is not really that expensive (if they sell it on their website). It gets expensive when they want to sell it at retailers. The distribution and logistic costs are very high and the retailer also takes a HUGE cut (I believe it was something like 40-50%).

Retail distribution and the related marketing are also under the purview of the publisher, which kinda defeats the purpose of the Kickstarter--avoid publisher oversight and cut, so an additional retail cut doesn't make sense. :p

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

They'd be looking at a distributor rather than a publisher, a distributor basically fabricates the DVDs, boxes etc then sends them out to shops and that is the extent of their input. As an example EA manufactures and distributes Valve's physical copies of games.

P:E doesn't really strike me as the sort of game you'll see on shelves at Gamestop though, so probably little chance of any retail release anyway.

The materials aren't expensive, as I wrote in the other thread about this, I've bought albums from bands that have been put together really well, and none of them have been in as good position as Obsidian. The only reason Obsidian shouldn't sell a boxed version on this website is that there is little demand. They could even think about selling a collectors edition and charge more than the Kickstarter one.

The $65 contribution level states that it will include a "boxed version of the game". Therefore they will likely have to produce a boxed version. If they don't, then controversy will ensue... :)

...but they could just mean a disk in a cardboard folder, which is very cheap to mass produce.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The $65 contribution level states that it will include a "boxed version of the game". Therefore they will have to produce a boxed version. If they don't, then controversy will ensue....

I think AwesomeOcelot meant on Obsidian's official website, not as part of the Kickstarter levels on the KS website. Selling off the official website saves on retail costs but there's still the balance of manufacturing enough for demand but not too much that they're sitting on a stored loss. This is talking about a regular box, though--a limited edition anything is far easier to manage with a small run and much higher potential for significant ROI. Maybe eBay.

They'd be looking at a distributor rather than a publisher, a distributor basically fabricates the DVDs, boxes etc then sends them out to shops and that is the extent of their input. As an example EA manufactures and distributes Valve's physical copies of games.

P:E doesn't really strike me as the sort of game you'll see on shelves at Gamestop though, so probably little chance of any retail release anyway.

I meant that in the developer/publisher relationship, it's the publisher that takes care of both marketing/distributing whether or not outsourcing the distribution to a true distribution company. The largest publishers cover all those aspects, exactly like your EA example. Obsidian shouldn't and probably won't risk it. Despite the KS success, this is still very much a "niche" game.

I pledged to Project Eternity (enough for the equivalent of a CE box). Despite that I'm not opposed to seeing Boxed Versions (this includes simple DVD case versions as well) offered after release. Provided it's not too costly to go that distribution path and if Obsidian is willing to offer that option to potential future customers.

Edited by beerflavour

Asked in the comment page of P:E's kickstarter page:

Question for us $65 tier pledgers.

Is the box version going to be cardboard or plastic?

Will there be a box release after launch?

Got this back:

@KENT It will, most likely, but something similar to a double DVD case - like you see most games in now-a-days. As for after the KS for a box copy, not sure, but we don't have any plans right now to do another run of them.

So it's going to be a plastic case they say without plans to do another run.

What do you guys think? Are plastic ones cheaper than cardboard? Or would they do that just because plastic will last longer, though I do like cardboard ones haha.

You can't dump optical discs into cardbox boxes without additional holders for the disc.

Besides, plastic cases are being mass produced these days, and so yes, you can get them for very cheap simply because people are already producing them by the masses. If you want to have a custom made case, irrespective of its material, its going to be very expensive.

I'd imagine its cheaper to print covers that can be slot into a plastic case, than to print an entire box.

Edited by Hornet85

Asked in the comment page of P:E's kickstarter page:

Question for us $65 tier pledgers.

Is the box version going to be cardboard or plastic?

Will there be a box release after launch?

Got this back:

@KENT It will, most likely, but something similar to a double DVD case - like you see most games in now-a-days. As for after the KS for a box copy, not sure, but we don't have any plans right now to do another run of them.

So it's going to be a plastic case they say without plans to do another run.

What do you guys think? Are plastic ones cheaper than cardboard? Or would they do that just because plastic will last longer, though I do like cardboard ones haha.

I'm a little confused by this because the boxed games traditionally included the disc case and manual in the box. Since the box includes the manual, either the manual will be flimsy enough to fit inside the DVD case or.... it's one of those fold-out dealies, I suppose, that's a posterboard-disc-case all in one? I do not know the "like most games in now-a-days" bit. :p