Is the boxed version Kickstarter-only?

Hey fellow Obsidian fans, my first post here, although I've lurked around from time to time.

As the question in the title, I'd be interested to know if the boxed version of the game will be available commercially after the release or will it only be available for Kickstarter backers? Any info on this is appreciated as I'm considering whether to fork over the $80 for the boxed version or not. Thanks. :)

Edited by Guts

It is almost certain that once released, the game will be aviable only through digital channels like Steam or GoG. Without a publisher, the expenses for creating and distributing physical copies would have to come from Obsidians pocket (and thus from Kickstarter money) which would be ridiculously expensive.

Edited by Lt. Lizard

Many Kickstarter'd games weren't even going to offer boxed versions to save on cost, but there was enough of a groundswell from donators for a reward tier with a boxed version as an option that most changed their mind (some after pretty strongly arguing against a boxed version as being too costly.)

Obsidian likely did it's research and knew it'd be a popular reward tier and a good way to raise additional funds (as long as the tier with the physical rewards was significantly large enough of a donation.)

Well the boxed colectors edition should be a kickstarter exclusive (at least this version). It would certainly be a strong incentive to back this game.

But I am not sure if that is the case. I will ask Feargus when he shows up in the Kickstarter chat next time.

:closed:

I hope the boxes doesn't cost much to make, I rather see the kickstarter money spent on developing a game rather than making user goodies.

I read about some kickstarter a while ago, and it was just a "minor" game kickstarter that got about $36,000 or whatever it was, but it was more than their goal so they were pleased. And even at that amount they totally underestimated the amount of logistics work and time needed to do to ship everything and so on, and the cost of the goodies. So at the end of it, they didn't really get that much money for making the actual kickstarter project come true.

Yeh, I believe that they will come through on this project. They have been deeply involved in the undertaking of it since they got floored by the 1.1 million goal response. I can't wait for more concept art drops to happen over the coming year and some. They have plenty of time to determine how to make this work and they also put in the costs for shipping internationally. So they are thinking of the costs of the physical product.

Edited by Technatorium

The boxes and contents aren't going to be that expensive to produce, I've gotten albums from independent musicians that have had great boxes at reasonable prices, they've only had to pay around $10 each and then they sell for $25, and that's a relatively low order of less than a thousand. Isn't this what banks are for? They're not going to be able to pay for retail space and distribution, but I've seen people with less resources sell discs from their own websites that are not in anywhere near as good a position as Obsidian is. The question is how much demand for a boxed version will there be after the game is released? I don't know, but it's probably not going to be at stores. Do PC gamers still go to stores? The ones near me don't seem to stock PC games, and I don't think I've seen an RPG in one for 5 years.

• Like 1

i have my doubts whether the boxed versions of the game will be available right after its release or not. probably not:

• distributing physical copies (a.k.a boxes) in shops probably is not gonna happen. (publisher heavy territory)
  • ordering boxes straight from obsidian is probably more likely, though after some time.

so maybe this is somewhat a good incentive to pledge to $65 tier. also a close tier from wasteland 2 (the $50 tier) saw a lot of love from backers :)

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

I hope the boxes doesn't cost much to make, I rather see the kickstarter money spent on developing a game rather than making user goodies.

I read about some kickstarter a while ago, and it was just a "minor" game kickstarter that got about $36,000 or whatever it was, but it was more than their goal so they were pleased. And even at that amount they totally underestimated the amount of logistics work and time needed to do to ship everything and so on, and the cost of the goodies. So at the end of it, they didn't really get that much money for making the actual kickstarter project come true.

Unlike that team, though (I forgot which team), Obdisian are veteran devs. I'm pretty sure they know the costs and the channels better than indies. Since they've been working shoestring budgets for a while now, they're probably good at that, too!

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)

Considering the cost involved in making physical copies, boxed versions will likely only be for those who pledged that tier of reward for the kickstarter. At best you might be able to order a boxed version from Obsidian, if they decide to have an "online store" (they don't already, do they?). I don't think it's very likely there'll be boxed versions available at game shops.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)