Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Project Eternity: Wiki

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

PangaeaACDC

PangaeaACDC

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Steam:Kill it with fire!

It felt a bit lonely, like I was shouting in an echo chamber, so I was very happy when I learned that over the last month, the wiki has had 64000 unique visitors and over 1 million page views :)

With no feedback from other admins, I've started to work on a design for creature pages (and have become an admin myself). Since I'm working on it in my personal space with a custom css, it's going to look very different for others, so I've attached a picture in the Creature restructure page. It's not finished, but I hope people would be pleased with it. Much work to do, but this has become a fun little huge side project. Once a template is ready and it is easier to make the pages, I hope others will join and help out, as adding hundreds of creature pages isn't going to be done in a jiffy by one guy.

Edit: I've created a template, documentation for it, and published the first creature page: Adra Animat.

Attached Files

Edited by PangaeaACDC, 25 August 2017 - 01:09 PM.

• JerekKruger and itsLDN like this

PangaeaACDC

PangaeaACDC

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Steam:Kill it with fire!

The Wiki has been redesigned to a darker look (the game is dark, so it made sense). There is a background image now, which should give the wiki a more unique look, and connect it better to the game.

Most things should look good now, but I know there are issues with some of the infoboxes (those containers with information to the right of most pages). I've made changes to the mobile skin too, as the other was... a little lacking in content. For some reason it doesn't show up my phone, but it's pretty ancient so many it's just an issue on my end.

The big challenge is that a good deal of the content is outdated or missing, and populating thousands of pages isn't exactly a one-man job (I have an actual job after all), so if people want to help out, by all means do :)

More long-term I'd like to change all the infoboxes so they look more like the creature one (an example here) and migrate the whole site to use an extension called Cargo, which will enable us to cross-reference content more easily (the "Other variants" in the link is an example of just that). It's a rather big task though, so will take time. Particularly the various item pages (And there are LOADS of those) are fairly complex, so I'm hesitant to start digging too deeply there (an other editor has basically done it all). And naturally we need to get more information about Pillars II with time as well. We'll know more once the game is actually out, or at least in public beta phase.

I'd like to redesign the frontpage too, so if you have suggestions for how to go about that, don't be shy ;)

One thing I'd like to introduce is something called Tabber, so people can flip information between Pillars and Deadfire, similar to on the Witcher Wiki. That will enable us to have more information on the front page, while structuring it better than currently. There are probably too many links and such right now too. Would probbly be better with less of a link dump, and have the more important things there instead.

Anyway, I hope people like the new changes.

• Messier-31 likes this

Messier-31

Messier-31

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1700 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The worst thing about the new design (which I like) is the fact that god emblems are hard to see.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6624 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Honestly? It's not so nice for mobile use now.

I also don't favor background images behind text and other formatted content - but maybe that's the little media designer in me who prefers clear and simple designs for info stuff like wikis, outvoting the fantasy geek. ;)

Looks aside, I appreciate the effort you put into the PoE wiki!  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users