Project Eternity Composer: In-house or External

Music for Project Eternity   

638 members have voted

1. 1. Who should compose the music for Project Eternity?

• Justin Bell (In-house kickstarter video composer)
    • Mark Morgan
    • Jeremy Soule
    • Other external Composer
    • Whomever Obsidian chooses is fine

Wes - @Feargus, what do you think about the possibility of Jeremy Soule coming on to write the musical score?

Obsidian - @Wes Not really sure at this point. Personally, I was really happy with what our internal audio guy, Justin Bell, did in the video. Not saying that is the choice, but he is itching to give it a shot.

Justin Bell is part of Obsidian, and he really want to do it. So, I feel it would be unfair to him for us to demand that Obsidian shove him aside and bring in someone else. :ermm:

This is Obsidian's project, give these guys a shot. :thumbsup:

If Obsidian feels they need additional people, they will bring them in, but the key word here is additional.

• Like 11

you know, the soundtrack is probably well on its way already. that song Sawyer sang is almost certainly part of the soundtrack. some of his coments seem to indicate that at least. so voting for who will be the composer now is useless

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

If Bell can do good work (the Kickstarter video music is good, although maybe a bit too generic fantasy-ish.. then again, I'm not sure they've decided where to take the music yet) I don't see why not. I really don't have preferences in terms of composers.. pretty much everyone that's been mentioned has done some fairly good work, but they almost all have done some very unremarkable things too.

• Like 1

Justin Bell because he is talented composer and he already works for Obsidian.

Mark Morgan because his name could spring new backers for Project Eternity as he is somewhat cult composer thanks for his brilliant work with Fallout 1&2 and Planescape: Torment's soundtracks.

But I will most probably enjoy of the game's soundtrack regardless who Obsidian decides to be perfect match for the game.

The trailer was one hell of a bid for the job. I'd go no further.

The clever option though, might be to get one of the big names to do the 5 min opening theme and give the rest to Justin.

"Soundtrack by Jeremy Soule & Justin Bell" might grab a few more pledges.

• Like 4

Kickstarter vid music is not exactly impressive but its serviceable and cheaper than hiring somebody new who'l likely only do a slightly better job anyway.

For a classic style cRPG I think Jeremy Soule writes the darkest yet most beautiful music, and I too consider the Kickstarter's video music a bit unremarkable. In the first IWD the music did 30% of the enjoyment and immersion for me, and that was a lot, but I agree with most of you here who consider it's better to give the in-house composer a chance.

Project Eternity: Interactive/animated or descriptive? Check my poll and vote!

Besides, giving the job for the in-house guy with "we chose you over Jeremy Soule and Mark Morgan, don't let us down" is exactly the kind of nice creative pressure that might lead to pretty intense work and maybe brain explosion or mental breakdown. Would be fun to see which.

Kickstarter vid music is not exactly impressive but its serviceable and cheaper than hiring somebody new who'l likely only do a slightly better job anyway.

I thought it was pretty impressive. It pulled at my heartstrings at least. The intro had an "epic" feel to it, especially when the logo was revealed, but without being to obviously "triumphant". The quiet section with the vocals and strings after that was really nice, I am already fantasizing about sitting at the character creation screen for hours with this music playing. And the growing sound of the wind+the bells at the end? GREAT atmosphere.

As stated above they probably already have the composer picked out. But I am going to go ahead and give props to Bell, from the snippet in the trailer alone. This is Obsidian's bag, and I paid to have them do as much as the work in house as possible.

Not that I mind, or don't understand if they have to bring in outside help. But I like what they are doing and how they are doing it.

Props to you Mr. Bell. and props to you OE.

Edited by firesidewizard

Justin Bell did a good job on the KS video but I would love to see a full orchestra doing the music. A full orchestra would give such great depth the game. Music for me plays a huge role in the game behind the game play and story. When combining story and great music the experience is simply wonderful.

Justin Bell did a good job on the KS video but I would love to see a full orchestra doing the music. A full orchestra would give such great depth the game. Music for me plays a huge role in the game behind the game play and story. When combining story and great music the experience is simply wonderful.

This topic is about the composer, they could still get a full orchestra or something to record it (though I'd expect the budget to be serious enough that they'd have to think about it twice, but I'm not an expert).

Since we don't have a solid grasp of the story, its stakes and setting, Obsidian's lead designers are the best suited to judge which composer is the most fit for the job. Fan feedback is useful for some matters, but I'm convinced its field of possible influence stops where the "author's vision" kicks in. So yeah, I love Mark Morgan's work, but there's no way I feel I could have an enlightened opinion on who should do "Project Eternity"'s music.

Well, Bell seems like he's a good composer, and in house is a plus, so I decided to vote for him.

But my opinion is with Twinkie on this one: the music reminded me of Trine, which I felt was more fairy tale fantasy.

Jeremy Soule did a good Icewind Dale soundtrack. But what about Inon Zur from IWD2? I loved what he did in Targos.

I'm not expecting Lustmord, Mathias Grassow, or Erik K Skodvin level work here but I am unimpressed with what I heard on the trailer. Out of fairness though, I won't say anything more until I hear more from this Justin Bell fellow. I don't feel like I've heard enough to say something like "Mark Morgan could have done better!"