Why are resources being spent on a Linux version?

So I noticed that one of the stretch goals is a Linux version of the game. Now is that really the best use of resources? I know Linux has a very dedicated following, but it's quite small, and just about every gamer running Linux also has a Windows PC for games.

Wouldn't it be better to take whatever time and money you intend to spend on a Linux port and use it instead to add more content to the game -- more quests, companions, locations, etc? Seems like that's something that would be enjoyed and appreciated by a FAR greater number of people than a Linux version.

• Like 2

I don't know about other people, but I want to be able to go full Linux in the future. Meaning, I want to be able to play every game that I can on Windows on Linux without any problem. If they have linux support, hopefully people will start to see the benefit of it. I love Linux, but I hardly ever run it because its annoying to switch to it and back to windows when I don't want to play games.

• Like 8

As a windows user, I'd rather see a Linux port of the game. If Linux can become a serious gaming platform, I can drop windows entirely.

Steam is already coming to Linux, so, I see hope for Linux in the future.

Same here. I've been using Windows all my life but I do want to have an alternative because I'm not liking where Microsoft is taking Windows with Windows 8. If future Windows no longer suits my needs, I would want to be able to switch to Linux fully without the hassle of dual booting or virtual PC.

Right now what Linux lacks is good games. If we can start getting all the good games over, that would be amazing and we can have a choice. :yes:

There are, at the time of writing, 36,676 backers of this project. As just one of that number, you can't expect every detail to be tailored to your needs.

Personally I totally agree with you, Linux support is meaningless to me, we just have to accept that many don't share our attitude.

• Like 2

It's just that computer geeks, and probably many developers love their linux man, I agree with you that resources would be better spent with gameplay and history, but they just can't help it, it's probably good too, with all the free software cause and all, it can help everyone

I only have a mac comp as I hate windows, and considering how annoyed I get when games are PC only, I don't mind if Linux users get the game as well. Hopefully in a few years, most computer games will be released to all three platforms.

• Like 3

Coding the Onyx Engine to be able to do a Linux port isn't exactly a simple matter, and that is more than likely why is it as a higher end stretch goal. The cost of dev time on it would be expensive. Same with the Mac port.

Actually, under the hood, Mac OS X is a variant of BSD UNIX. Therefore, once they have the game working in OS X, it should not be immensely difficult to port it to Linux (not that easy, either, but not as bad as is usually the case with Windows).

Also, from the Humble Bundle sales, it appears that if allowed to set their own price (as is also the case with Kickstarter), Linux users are willing to pay more than Mac users who in turn are willing to pay more than Windows users. I think Linux makes sense as a higher stretch goal.

Your looking at the users a solely the consumer, Linux may be a smaller number of users but they have their own networks and thus providing a game to them increases the advertising with better reach than you'd get on the more fragmented windows gaming groups. Linux users also pay and have folks that will give generously you assume that the money they provide will not cover the cost of a native client. I have no idea if it will but likely neither does Obsidian and as its work on their engine that will do them in good stead going forward its all good.

For many Linux users using windows is a last resort and they won't support a game that forces them to do that same goes for using wine or the like. Hopefully they reach the goal and that spurs another massive increase to the total mayhap I'm dreaming.

Edited by Azzy

So I noticed that one of the stretch goals is a Linux version of the game.

Please, I beg of You, read the stuff You are commenting on, not to mention opening a new topic for.

The goal for $2,2M is:

2.2 million, a new Region, a new Faction and another new Companion! And, dare we say it... ? LINUX!

I'd say You haven't read the w hole thing 'till the end, but the massive content upgrade is mentioned before the linux support, so I have no idea how that could've happened.

as for

I know Linux has a very dedicated following, but it's quite small, and just about every gamer running Linux also has a Windows PC for games.

Disregarding the asumptions in there, I invite You to answer - to Yourself - these three questions: Why is the following dedicated, why is it small, and do linux users want to run windows for theire games?

Edited by sesobebo

I just recently bought a certain game for $15, but I can't play it at all because it requires Windows. I'm not going to install a system like that just for one game, so I'll just have to wait for support through wine.

Supporting Linux is actually pretty straightforward if you do it from the ground up, but it's a serious pain to retrofit a working engine. Obsidian could outsource the multiplatform port of their engine with the extra money gained from hitting that stretch goal, giving also a leg up on future game development for the company. True, they could hire 10 more artists with that money, but I'm sure they can judge when to add more people to the project and when to do these kinds of things with it.

Probably the biggest issue in Linux gaming is the lack of drivers, especially for the cutting-edge hardware. It's a vicious cycle where everyone makes Windows games and drivers because everyone buys Windows games as only Windows games and drivers are available, and all the workers have learned to code only Windows games and drivers. It's unfortunate that Windows is a system that tries to make multiplatform support as difficult as possible, presumably to maintain the status quo.

One of my friends said that he can't pledge since he can't have his linux version, the engineer uses linux solely. I told him if the money hit 2.2 it would happen... But i have to say that I really don't know the real numbers of who from linux would pay- i mean PLEDGE for this (within month). Can't the linux version be done after the game is out (once the starts to bring income to Obsidian)? I mean if they really are going to use the Onyx or whatever engine then maybe it will pay off to have a standard/template conversion to linux and Mac done at some point then (for possible sequels).

I would imagine though that the Android version is the real hot potato though!

Edited by IEfan

Nothing wrong with Linux support as a stretch goal.

Precisely.

On Kickstarter, a Linux stretch goal gives some love to Linux user, who then campaign hard to help said games reach said stretch goals.

It's win - win. Obsidian (or any other Kickstarter Campaign for a computer game) looks at what it would take in money and resources to make a Linux version, and they add that amount on as a stretch goal.

There is ZERO reason short of selfishness to complain about this.

And no, I don't use Linux.

• Like 3

So I noticed that one of the stretch goals is a Linux version of the game.

Please, I beg of You, read the stuff You are commenting on, not to mention opening a new topic for.

The goal for $2,2M is:

2.2 million, a new Region, a new Faction and another new Companion! And, dare we say it... ? LINUX!

I'd say You haven't read the w hole thing 'till the end, but the massive content upgrade is mentioned before the linux support, so I have no idea how that could've happened.

No need to beg, I did indeed read the stuff I'm commenting on. The fact that there are other aspects coming with the update is irrelevant to the subject. Resources are still being dedicated to a Linux port that could be spent on even more game content.

as for

I know Linux has a very dedicated following, but it's quite small, and just about every gamer running Linux also has a Windows PC for games.

Disregarding the asumptions in there, I invite You to answer - to Yourself - these three questions: Why is the following dedicated, why is it small, and do linux users want to run windows for theire games?

I'm sure Linux has its advantages when it comes to programming or whatnot but why on earth anyone would really care about what OS they're running while gaming is really beyond me. How can staring at the homescreen of one OS vs another for the 2 minutes or so that it takes your computer to load up and shut down possibly affect your gaming experience in any way?

The big question is why they are spending resources on a Mac version... Windows is obvious because so many people use it. The reason I think Linux will be successful is that they don't have so many big-budget games so they are willing to spend money on what they can get.

...with Windows 8 going down the hill, it's good to have another open-platform to turn to if it goes really bad.

Edited by Lord2

TSLRCM, the mod that Wookieepedia doesn't want you to know about:

http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4