I stream single player RPGs in no death rulesets. My thoughts on KOTOR 2 & New Vegas.

luzarius

I livestream single player RPG games in a no death rule set. This means if the hero dies or the party wipes I start the entire game over again. I find this playstyle enhances immersion ten fold. I don't do it for the challenge but for the immersion of knowing the character has never died. An epic story and strong emotionally driven content have driven me to play single player rpgs in this unique fashion.

Games that I've enjoyed a great deal with this rule set:

Dragon Age Series

Mass Effect Series

Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines

Witcher Series

Kotor 1

Skyrim

Fallout 3

I enjoyed the above games a great deal, listened to all the dialogue, enjoyed the codex, story, lore & characters to the highest degree possible.

The only two games I've raged on and couldn't get into:

Kotor 2

- I enjoyed KOTOR 1 a great deal, but for some reason when I got to KOTOR 2 everything fell flat. KOTOR 2 was extremely boring unfortunately and I couldn't get off peragus station.

New Vegas

- I enjoyed Fallout 3 but for some reason the beginning of new vegas is extremely boring. Nothing exciting happens at all. Fallout 3 had a very strong introduction but New Vegas does not. I played until I reached New Vegas and didn't have the motivation to pursue anything anymore.

One thing I've noticed in KOTOR 2 & New Vegas is that you don't pace the dialogue. You'll put 20 different facts & details all in one shot instead of letting the player ask more questions in between. For some reason the dialogue feels like I'm in a classroom instead of feeling what the character is going through.

What I'd like to see from Obsidian

You need to work on your introductions more. The first two hours of a single player RPG are THE MOST IMPORTANT. Remember Mass Effect 1,2,3 intros? Remember DA series intro? Remember Witcher series intro? Remember Fallout 3 intro of watching your char grow up? Remember VTMB when you first talk to Jack?

My heartfelt advice is to make the introduction in your RPGS more exciting.

I will be trying to play New Vegas again tomorrow. If anyone would like to come watch and help motivate me to play this game please do so knowing what RPGs I've enjoyed in the past.

CHANNEL: http://www.twitch.tv/luzarius

Luzarius

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

To be honest, Peragus is a little dull. I liked it okay the first time because I liked the feeling of total abandonment but it's so incredibly long.

I never had a problem with Peragus, but Citadel Station was pretty awful.

To be honest, Peragus is a little dull. I liked it okay the first time because I liked the feeling of total abandonment but it's so incredibly long.

I actually agree with this. KOTOR2 really picks up once you're off Peragus, but it's a bit of a chore (especially on subsequent play throughs when you've already done the "detective work" and know all the surprises) to go through.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The OP isn't just saying the intro was a bit slow (although I don't get it in FO:NV, the whole world opens up immediately.) He is saying he rage quit because there is too much dialogue. He compared it to being in a classroom. Considering the writing is one of the biggest selling points in Obsidian's work, I just don't think he is going to be happy.

• Like 2

*shrug* you never know, with games like these 2-3 hours is never enough to properly get into it.

I was very, very bored with ME1, FO3 and DA:O introductions, and DA2 intro (assuming it was the same as the demo) was like watching a really bad 80's action movie while mashing some buttons in between. I was bored with the K2 intro too, but then I think with big RPGs it's not usually the level design or plot of the intro that gets you, it's the feel of being in the world and wandering aorund picking up quests and interacting to discover the UI, rules and setting. I liked how I could do that pretty quickly with New Vegas, at least - in FO3 every bloody time you play you have to spend half an hour in a Fast-Forwarded Life of the Most Uninteresting Pre-Adult Life Ever.

In any case, aside from the fact that it's different for everyone, I think if you really want to give a game like this a good go, whether Skyrim or DAO or New Vegas, you get to the point where you have freedom to wander around and do things.

The first time I tried playing Deus Ex 1, I gave up after a few hours and tried to return it but the shop was closed for the day. Then I forgot about it and played it again a few months later and it is my favourite game of all time (alongside FO, PS:T, etc).

Actually, I did pretty much the same thing with PS:T, because the mortuary was ****ing weird at first.

When Fallout 3's intro is given as an example of a fun or good intro, I already know my tastes are going to differ tremendously.

:lol:

Yeah, that was one of two times I was about to give up on the game. The second time I actually did give up, but that's a different story. The Little Lamplight designer should have his game designer license revoked.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I prefer Obsidian's intros over most, honestly. The only Obsidian game I've played through entirely was New Vegas (I had KotOR 2, but never beat it. I'm going to wait until I beat KotOR1) but I liked the intro to that, it gave you some motivation to find this guy who shot you for your own personal reasons, and left you more choice for roleplaying background rather than giving you a set role like Fallout 3.

Though, I agree with Krezack. I was in almost the exact same situation as him, once. Just because you dislike a game's intro, it doesn't mean the rest of the game will be bad.

"Well, there's many things they have forgotten sitting in their bowls. Friendship. The thrill of discovery. Love. Masturbation. The usual." -Dr. Mobius

New Vegas

- I enjoyed Fallout 3 but for some reason the beginning of new vegas is extremely boring. Nothing exciting happens at all. Fallout 3 had a very strong introduction but New Vegas does not. I played until I reached New Vegas and didn't have the motivation to pursue anything anymore.

Really? You gotta be kidding me. New Vegas started with a bang and ended with a bang. Literally.

I for one couldn't stand how forced the storyline of FO3 felt. I distinctly remember Amata running in my room saying "Oh my god, they killed Jonas!!" and I was looking for the dialog option that said "Who the **** is Jonas?" They attempted to get me emotionally attached and invested in an NPC just because he was named "Dad." Listen, just because you name him "Dad" doesn't mean I immediately give a damn about the guy. FFS, I DON'T have a good relationship with my father; how is this supposed to cater to those of us who were raised by single mothers? Even so, I know this is all just a simulation, immersing me is NOT that simple; if he was a she and was "Mom" instead of "Dad," I'm sure it'd be the same. He has to be likeable. Same with Jonas. You can't force me to go "NOOOOOOOOOO THOSE BASTARDS" just because Amata cues me to. It wasn't until I found his body later that I even realized who he was, and even then he was just "that black guy who helped get me a BB gun" in my mind. I had no other attachment to him, just as I had no dire desire to find out what became of Dad (which in fairness, also had it's perks because you didn't feel forced or rushed to do the main quest).

But revenge? Curiousity as to the why of it? Anyone can relate to those. Just because Goodsprings didn't have a giant super mutant and a ton of cars that triggered mushroom cloud-sized explosions doesn't mean the beginning sucked.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Not going to delve into the intros debate now because I first have to articulate my thoughts, but I have to admit, I've never really heard this complaint about pacing the dialogue before. If I had more time I'd probably test the theory by playing Vampire: Bloodlines, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, etc. intros back to back.. heck, I probably will, just later. I'd also be curious to hear what Obsidian writers think of that specific complaint, though I imagine they're busy on their respective projects (Project Eternity and South Park).

• 2 years later...

I just want to update this post.  Pillars of Eternity had an incredible introduction. I'm a fan of Obsidian now. POE is an excellent game, thank you!  Sadly I can't stream due to RL time constraints, but I'm enjoying POE offline!

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

what's so good about Fallout 3's ending? it's pretty awful

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

• 2 weeks later...

I livestream single player RPG games in a no death rule set. This means if the hero dies or the party wipes I start the entire game over again.

This is insane and sounds horrible.

I am subbing to your stream.

Interesting.

Different strokes and all that. 

This vid pretty much encapsulates why after New Vegas was released, I never gave FO3 another thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwlt4FqmS0

It's an interesting vid but for the pertinent bits, skip to 9:20 where he discusses FO3 vs New Vegas and why roleplayers, like myself, find New Vegas vastly superior to FO3.

Edit: Also have to note that if he considers 163 hours playing a game embarrassing, then I guess that means I am full of shame because that's on the low end for me as far as my favorite games go.

Edited by Shadeling
  • Like 1