Obsidian Hiring 2D Artists => Infinity Engine Resurfacing?

I've been lurking around these forums, but I decided to register now because I wanted to share something I noticed just a few minutes ago: Obsidian are hiring a 2D Environment Illustrator and a 2D Environment Intern. Could this be connected to the present countdown timer for Project X? Since everyone started talking about Kickstarter and this quote from the Obsidian KS profile is being thrown around:

Prior to Obsidian, each of the owners worked for Black Isle Studios as production, design, management, and programming staff, having worked on the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment series.

We loved working on those games, and feel there's a real nostalgia for them, and we're looking to you for help to bring them back!

Could we be witnessing a comeback of the legendary Infinity Engine games?

Infinity Engine is owned by Bioware/EA. So they'd need to license it. Which is why I don't see them using it. Onyx should be capable of 2D work.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Infinity Engine is owned by Bioware/EA. So they'd need to license it. Which is why I don't see them using it. Onyx should be capable of 2D work.

Plus it's a very old engine. Overhaul's been banging their heads trying to fix the code for newer operating systems and platforms the whole development of BG:EE. Onyx is already ready to go, and Obsidian is obviously very familiar with it's code already.

They're using it for the South Park game. I haven't been following it closely, but I have to imagine that there's a lot of 2D art involved there, considering the source material.

There's zero chance of them actually using IE again - as Enoch says, the 2D hires are still for Onyx games.

The question is whether Onyx 2D could deliver something similar to IE, and I think it could, though obviously with design differences.

• Like 1

Dunno if the 2d stuff is directly SP related though- the cartoon itself for example is done in Maya despite being "2d". It also seems to be a bit late in the picture for such hires relating to SP unless there's either a mobile or flash tie in.

For that matter, the infinity engine stuff was 3d models (from Max, iirc) rendered out to 2d rather than being intrinsic 2d as well.

• Like 1

There's zero chance of them actually using IE again - as Enoch says, the 2D hires are still for Onyx games.

The question is whether Onyx 2D could deliver something similar to IE, and I think it could, though obviously with design differences.

Interesting. The mystery remains, however. What do the guys at Obsidian want with 2D artists? If Project X is not an IE game, could it be a sequel to one of the IE games running on the Onyx Engine and so, therefore, more 2D artists will be needed? Also, the words on the main page lead me to believe that this is going to be a fantasy title rather than Fallout or Alpha Protocol.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. The mystery remains, however. What do the guys at Obsidian want with 2D artists? If Project X is not an IE game, could it be a sequel to one of the IE games running on the Onyx Engine and so, therefore, more 2D artists will be needed? Also, the words on the main page lead me to believe that this is going to be a fantasy title rather than Fallout or Alpha Protocol.

It's not a mystery. They've already stated they will be using 2D images, presumably mapped onto the 3D representation in the isometric perspective.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It's not a mystery. They've already stated they will be using 2D images, presumably mapped onto the 3D representation in the isometric perspective.

to be fair, I don't think that was the case on september 12th when this thread was made

Aye that

to be fair, I don't think that was the case on september 12th when this thread was made

Aye that's true. My bad. :blink:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."