(2) I recognize your pain.

Only 2 days to go. I'm starting to think this is either Defiance or Icewind Dale 3. This is most probably not Dungeon Siege 4 like I first guessed.

Why are people so hung up on "Defiance"? Has it just become a replacement for "Every not picked up Obsidian game"?

We only heard from it in ONE interview, talking about something that happened in 2008/9 and IIRC we had no indication that it was even a Sawyer related project.

When the Microsoft project was cancelled it was hinted in the press that it was a dark fantasy IP, IIRC.

This is definitely not the sci-fi property that Fader et al were working on.

Why would they be teasing a game, and then putting up a Kickstarter for it?

If they needed the funds, they would have put it up a long time ago.

Why wouldn't they tease a game then put up a kickstarter for it?

If it is a kickstarter then they will need to get as much money as possible out of it- maybe as much as DFA and Wasteland 2 combined, given the size of Obsidian. Best way to do that is to get the hype train running full steam ahead of time, not to go from a standing start, and to have something to show as part of the kickstarter pitch as well which would explain the delay.

At the moment Kickstarter is the most likely explanation of why it's Obsidian and not a publisher doing the hyping. It isn't definitive, it could be funded by an investment group like BVT (who for example funded NWN2 for Atari) who wouldn't/ couldn't do hyping themselves or by someone who isn't really a computer game publisher like Hasbro/ WOTC, but that seems a lot less likely. Certainly if it were a big publisher there'd be an expectation that they'd be hyping it themselves instead of, or as well as, Obsidian.

If it is a WH40k game, it would have to be licensed through THQ to Obsidian. If that's the case this won't be a Kickstarter project, because as Tigranes (?) said in the KS thread, the allure of KS is launching IPs in which you have 100% control and reap 100% of profits.

Beyond that, my nerds are telling me that all the supposedly referenced stuff is not official WH40k lore. I don't know if that's actually the case. But it would preferable to WoT.

If it is a WH40k game, it would have to be licensed through THQ to Obsidian. If that's the case this won't be a Kickstarter project, because as Tigranes (?) said in the KS thread, the allure of KS is launching IPs in which you have 100% control and reap 100% of profits.

Beyond that, my nerds are telling me that all the supposedly referenced stuff is not official WH40k lore. I don't know if that's actually the case. But it would preferable to WoT.

Well THQ is working with Obsidian with the South Park RPG right now.

Also, the Kickstarter stuff is not certain at all. They made the KS profile back in august, and it could also mean that it is for another project.

J_C from Codexia

On further reading, and research, there are a great many logical connections between Norse Mythology and the Ouroboros.

In norse mythology there is a giant snake that holds the world together by reaching around it and biting its tail.

Cant remember the name tho. Just something we vikings learn at primary school ;)

• Like 1

How stable is THQ these days? Can they even produce any big games ?

They are slowly recovering. They released Saints Row3, Space Marine, Prototype 2 a few months ago, which are big names. Also releasing Obsidian SP RPG. I think they could manage another game, especially if it a Warhammer 40K game.

J_C from Codexia

In the Heresy Era, the Thousand Sons marched to Godhammer on the recently-rediscovered Machine World of the same name. Their current crest/symbol emblazoned on their left shoulder plates is that of the ouroboros.

Food for thought... ;)

http://wh40k.lexican...ns#.UFD23FTgLmE

http://mordian7th.bl...s-march-to.html

and more on the ouroboros itself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros

This is too much to be coincidence. Too bad I'm not really into WH40K.

Well, I still have faith that one day another good D&D game will come. Probably through Obsidian and Kickstarter, if they're still around by then.

I believe the word is INFINITY.

Seems a likely candidate since they seem to be doing pairs of words organized by the first vowel(aa, ee, ii, and so forth). After Infinity it will probably be Obesity.

Neither "infinity" nor "obesity" fits the pattern.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Only 2 days to go. I'm starting to think this is either Defiance or Icewind Dale 3. This is most probably not Dungeon Siege 4 like I first guessed.

Why are people so hung up on "Defiance"? Has it just become a replacement for "Every not picked up Obsidian game"?

We only heard from it in ONE interview, talking about something that happened in 2008/9 and IIRC we had no indication that it was even a Sawyer related project.

When the Microsoft project was cancelled it was hinted in the press that it was a dark fantasy IP, IIRC.

This is definitely not the sci-fi property that Fader et al were working on.

Gaming press usually makes a lot of assumptions (just as they do now). As for direct information we had nothing, really.

Neither our (GameBanshee, and iirc, the tipster also contacted Joystiq) source nor Kotaku mentioned any detail about North Carolina (well, Kotaku was told that the project was for Microsoft and that it was meant to be for their next-gen console, but that was it). Stuff like setting, genre (besides the fact that it was to be an RPG, obvs), etc. are things only the people at Obsidian or close to them know, unless there have been other tips/leaks (as far as I know, though, there haven't been).