The Secret World (MMORPG by Ragnar T

C2B

I rather enjoyed the beta, enough so that I'm waiting for my copy to be delivered.

But the best things about it are mostly the investigation (puzzle-like) quests, lore, atmosphere (which it does really well), and story. If you don't care about that sort of stuff, it's going to just be another MMORPG to you.

Still, I consider it worth a look.

Edited by Baeus

I didn't notice this thread earlier, but here are my initial impressions:

This is a refreshing change from all the other MMO's on the market. It has quite a few major differences that, once you wrap your head around, are great.

1. The characters do not gain levels. The gain points to spend, and you can build towards a ability deck. It reminds me a bit of the original Guild Wars, although the modern combat stuff is cool. My crusader is mostly about his pistols, but he also has a warhammer to pull out and smash someone on occasion.

2. There are your basic quests, but there are also investigation and subterfuge ones. The investigation quests are awesome, they usually require some research outside of the game. Funcom has done a great job of implementing an in game browser, so you can google in game. It's like having a real smart phone, which fits the modern day setting well.

3. The learning curve is tough. I need to find guides and stumble through stuff regularly. This is a nice change from the very simplw nature of most current MMO's. It's complicated and doesn't apologize for it. It reminds me of old school games like Asheron's Call.

4. Combat is fast paced and reminds me a lot of Guild Wars 2. You should keep moving and dodge to really be effective.

So mostly positive at this point.

Trailer didn't really hook me that much, but seems it's something different, at least. What exactly is complicated about the game to make it a steep learning curve ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Trailer didn't really hook me that much, but seems it's something different, at least. What exactly is complicated about the game to make it a steep learning curve ?

Maybe not steep, so much as different for the genre. In order to solve some quests, you have to actually research outside of the game. I just did a quest with a sleeping monster that you had to sneak by, he was unbeatable. There was another quest that I needed to die and go to an area as a ghost for. It has a lot of adventure game quest elements.

You also have a huge amount of skills available, and you need to pay attention to how you construct your skill deck.

Subscription based I assume ?

I've got enough bloody bills.

Yep.

Bit surprised actually. Funcom went to f2p fairly quickly with Age of Conan, and that sold better out of the gates. Given that TSW is fairly niche, I would think they would just stick to having the online store. Although they do already have the store working, so I guess they will go that way eventually. My guess is a year, the lifetime sub folks don't want to feel ripped off.

I intent to buy a Lifetime sub because I don't like that naggin' feeling in my neck to always pay another monthly bill. Pay once, have peace forever (yeah, I'm that sort of guy). But if they turn it into F2P before, say 12 months, I'm gonna sue those buggers.

How much is it?

I have to admit, if its something you can see yourself playing for 200 hours minimum, looking at it as a "Euro an Hour" isn't that bad an investment.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have to admit, if its something you can see yourself playing for 200 hours minimum, looking at it as a "Euro an Hour" isn't that bad an investment.

Exactly. Plus, and I think the most important thing to me is, I can set the pace myself instead of just rushing through the story to get everything out of the initial investment. Sometimes I pause a game for 1-2 months, then I return and play some more. Luckily, TSW is one of those MMOs that has all kinds of different quests. Some that have a lot of depth and require more time, some on the middle scale, and some quickies. Allows someone to perfectly schedule the time flexibly.

Maybe not steep, so much as different for the genre. In order to solve some quests, you have to actually research outside of the game. I just did a quest with a sleeping monster that you had to sneak by, he was unbeatable. There was another quest that I needed to die and go to an area as a ghost for. It has a lot of adventure game quest elements.

You also have a huge amount of skills available, and you need to pay attention to how you construct your skill deck.

Oh, so sort of similar to EVE in that regard, well that doesn't sound too bad.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

But what if you play it for 50 hours and then realize that it's a big pile of shait you never want to touch again? Then you paid a lot money for that.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Monthly is probably the best way to make the gamble.

But what if you play it for 50 hours and then realize that it's a big pile of shait you never want to touch again? Then you paid a lot money for that.

How is that even possible? It usually only takes a couple of hours to realize a game stinks, if that. If you spent 50 hours in a game, then it must have done something right.

Well, you might not want to make a rush judgement. Mind you, I think after 6-8 hours I'd be able to safely say the torture is enough.

How is that even possible? It usually only takes a couple of hours to realize a game stinks, if that. If you spent 50 hours in a game, then it must have done something right.

I played Oblivion around 60 hours until I noticed what a junk product it was. :>

Got blinded from the graphics and big world when the game was released.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

This game is pretty hard. It definitely requires more thought and strategy than most MMO's.

Today I fought a bogeyman in a solo instance. There was no way to bring in help, he had twice my health, and he killed me 5 times before I figured it all out. Now most big baddies in TSW have a special attack, and it's best to get out of the way of those. They typically take place in a radius or cone attack. The bogeyman had a few more tricks.

He started out with a cone attack, which I avoided. Then he did this odd attack where I had to run in close. The area outside of his radius was hit hard, which was tricky. Then he did this random attack where he was invulnerable and I had to just dodge explosives going off in circles all around. The last attack was the worst, he got me a couple times before I figured it out. Basically behind the guy is a small shack, and in order to avoid this massive radius attack, you have to run in there and hide.

It was frustrating, but once I beat him it felt great.

I like very much the premise of TSO. I'm really intrigued by the setting and I could give it a try. Is it a good game for a person who have never played an MMO like me and who would mostly play solo? You know, I'm the kind of gamer who is interested mostly in the story and not so much on builds, loot, raids and PVP.