Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Secret World (MMORPG by Ragnar Tørnquist)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5285 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well, you might not want to make a rush judgement. Mind you, I think after 6-8 hours I'd be able to safely say the torture is enough.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1933 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

But what if you play it for 50 hours and then realize that it's a big pile of shait you never want to touch again? Then you paid a lot money for that.

How is that even possible? It usually only takes a couple of hours to realize a game stinks, if that. If you spent 50 hours in a game, then it must have done something right.

I played Oblivion around 60 hours until I noticed what a junk product it was. :>

Got blinded from the graphics and big world when the game was released.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 7140 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
This game is pretty hard. It definitely requires more thought and strategy than most MMO's.

Today I fought a bogeyman in a solo instance. There was no way to bring in help, he had twice my health, and he killed me 5 times before I figured it all out. Now most big baddies in TSW have a special attack, and it's best to get out of the way of those. They typically take place in a radius or cone attack. The bogeyman had a few more tricks.

He started out with a cone attack, which I avoided. Then he did this odd attack where I had to run in close. The area outside of his radius was hit hard, which was tricky. Then he did this random attack where he was invulnerable and I had to just dodge explosives going off in circles all around. The last attack was the worst, he got me a couple times before I figured it out. Basically behind the guy is a small shack, and in order to avoid this massive radius attack, you have to run in there and hide.

It was frustrating, but once I beat him it felt great.

meomao

meomao

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I like very much the premise of TSO. I'm really intrigued by the setting and I could give it a try. Is it a good game for a person who have never played an MMO like me and who would mostly play solo? You know, I'm the kind of gamer who is interested mostly in the story and not so much on builds, loot, raids and PVP.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm the kind of gamer who is interested mostly in the story and not so much on builds, loot, raids and PVP.

Then this is pretty much the only MMO out there that will suit your tastes.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 7140 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm the kind of gamer who is interested mostly in the story and not so much on builds, loot, raids and PVP.

Then this is pretty much the only MMO out there that will suit your tastes.

I disagree, this game is pretty heavily reliant on builds, gear, and the trinity of DPS, tank, and healing.

Guild Wars 2 sounds like a better fit if you want to avoid that stuff.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I disagree, GW2 is just the uglier sister of WoW.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 7140 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Whatever your opinion of the graphics, it is the first modern MMO to throw the standard conventions out the window. The Secret World is nice because combat forces you to be active and move around, but when you go into a dungeon, you still need a healer, a tank, and a DPS build character. You need gear that works for your build.

I'm not saying that is a bad thing for Secret World, but it simply means it still follows the formula in that regard.

Also, as much as I love the non combat-centric quests, the game really pushes you to repeat it all more than once, and there really isn't much of a storyline difference between the three factions.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1933 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Looks like Funcom kicked out half of their staff because the game isn't producing enough money.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 7140 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It's a shame because it is a really interesting game with a great setting. But the content is limited, I felt after a month of play that I'd done a large part of what was offered, and so I didn't keep my sub. Hopefully they can keep the doors open and add some content down the road, I can see myself returning to it eventually.

Delfosse

Delfosse

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 170 posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yMIcKmsbzk&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Was anyone in the Beta? What are your impressions so far?

Eager to hear. :)

Yes.
It's basically a single player game.
And it sucks.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1936 posts

Apparently, you and I will start to like MMO's when they stop being... MMO's.

Cat Food

Cat Food

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Steam:Cat Food
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Man, Ragnar should have continued with The Longest Journey series. At this point I am not sure if they can invest on an Adventure game at all.

Edited by Astiaks, 13 September 2012 - 11:26 PM.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6860 posts
If Funcom would start a Kickstarter for a The longest journey sequel, it would beat that Double Fine thingie into dust.
  • Humodour likes this

Cat Food

Cat Food

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Steam:Cat Food
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
They are a european company, so I guess they would have to go with Indiegogo. But yeah, the idea totaly kicks ass!

Lorfean

Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't know -- they were planning the whole "Dreamfall Chapters" thing a few years back, which was then put on indefinite hold in 2009 until Tørnquist mentioned it again at the beginning of this year, saying that it's still going to happen... But with half of Funcom's staff let go and the disappointing sales of Conan and TSW, I would be surprised if they'd risk their financial situation on something like that.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I also feel that Tørnquist/TLJ has nowhere near the name recognizability, fanbase or nostalgic power of a Fargo/Wasteland or Schafer/Monkey Island/Day of the Tentacle/Full Throttle/Psychonauts etc. etc. so I'm really not sure how succesfull a crowd-funded project would be for him.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9456 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think TLJ/Dreamfall would be pretty safe for Funcom. It can be done without a very hefty budget and it's bound to generate buzz on its own. It just won't be a massive success that would get the back on their feet to making high budget MMOs.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6860 posts

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I also feel that Tørnquist/TLJ has nowhere near the name recognizability, fanbase or nostalgic power of a Fargo/Wasteland or Schafer/Monkey Island/Day of the Tentacle/Full Throttle/Psychonauts etc. etc. so I'm really not sure how succesfull a crowd-funded project would be for him.

Maybe I was exaggerating, but it would at least do as well as Jane Jensen's Kickstarter.
  • Cat Food likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users