What are you playing now? Part 3'ish

Old thread here.

Last reply:

Great, but allow me to laugh at you for having fun with a sticky pile of poo.

Are you being paid by your EA masters to propagate such hate drivel?

R* games has always delivered high-quality games, some may not fit your personal taste, but they always found huge audiences and commercial success. Unlike, say, EA, which steps from one pile of poo into another....They probably just don't like competition, huh?

What's your problem with Max Payne 3?

I no longer work for EA... But you didn't know that so... Yeah, veiled insults aside, alls forgiven in that respect.

As for R* they're commercially successful, but they do most definitely seem to release loads of games I don't enjoy. Allow me to elaborate on Max Payne 3 a little, main complaint is that it doesn't play like MP1 or 2, it feels a bit like GoW with bullet times, so fundamentally its rather different. Far too many cutscenes, and basic design no-no's i.e. Changing the weapons due to in game cutscenes being shot that way, and dumping the player out with an empty weapon, that they're not forced to have ammo for. We are talking 8 years of development and its got design flaws a plenty, and they're not complicated to fix.

I mean it genuinely, you had fun, and that is great it obviously had something that you enjoyed about it. I would have preferred to play a game made by Remedy opposed to R* developing the franchise further, this coupled with the changes to game-play just doesn't work for me. My opinion is that it's not a good sequel, you loved it end of story really. Plus, it'll do well anyway, so all I can do is *shrug* and take solace in a little laughter when it comes to your opinion.

Fortune favors the bald.

Specs Ops: The Line. Amazon's July sale on games has started, download titles only. So I did get to pick it up for half price.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Finished Spec Ops.

Wow, I'm now all soaked in sweat. The ending I got was quite powerful. No hurray ****, but actually something rather sad. Hope Yager doesn't go the doo-doo way since the game is already deemed a commercial failure. Wanna see more of them in the future.

Yeah, heh, nice twist ending. Runaway 2 isn't so bad, the lengthy unskippable cutscenes to go talk to the Colonel were a niggle.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finished Spec Ops.

Wow, I'm now all soaked in sweat. The ending I got was quite powerful. No hurray ****, but actually something rather sad. Hope Yager doesn't go the doo-doo way since the game is already deemed a commercial failure. Wanna see more of them in the future.

It's brave making a game that cleverly mocks the genre fans that buy it.

However, don't be surprised when they finally twig that they've dumped fifty euros on a product that tells them that they are blood-thirsty, amoral morons.

Because that's what they've gone and done.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Ok, I mentioned I grabbed The Secret World the other day. Now that I've played it for a bit longer, I have to say, this is a refreshing change from all the other MMO's on the market. It has quite a few major differences that, once you wrap your head around, are great.

1. The characters do not gain levels. The gain points to spend, and you can build towards a ability deck. It reminds me a bit of the original Guild Wars, although the modern combat stuff is cool. My crusader is mostly about his pistols, but he also has a warhammer to pull out and smash someone on occasion.

2. There are your basic quests, but there are also investigation and subterfuge ones. The investigation quests are awesome, they usually require some research outside of the game. Funcom has done a great job of implementing an in game browser, so you can google in game. It's like having a real smart phone, which fits the modern day setting well.

3. The learning curve is tough. I need to find guides and stumble through stuff regularly. This is a nice change from the very simplw nature of most current MMO's. It's complicated and doesn't apologize for it. It reminds me of old school games like Asheron's Call.

I finished Honest Hearts for New Vegas. Unless I missed a whole bunch, it wasn't very long and was mainly a lot of fetch questing instead of quests unlocking new information about the story or key characters in the story. I also thought it was going to have a lot to do with Joshua Graham, but he was almost just a side story to the main point of the DLC.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

However, don't be surprised when they finally twig that they've dumped fifty euros on a product that tells them that they are blood-thirsty, amoral morons.

I have no clue what you're talking about.

English please.

I finished Honest Hearts for New Vegas. Unless I missed a whole bunch, it wasn't very long and was mainly a lot of fetch questing instead of quests unlocking new information about the story or key characters in the story. I also thought it was going to have a lot to do with Joshua Graham, but he was almost just a side story to the main point of the DLC.

There's almost no information on the Mojave in Zion, but there's a lot of information on the locals and locale. Graham is I think fleshed out more through his action and I was surprised as well when he didn't have a bigger role, but in the end I felt like a had a much better understanding of him and what he'd been through and was going to do. But maybe you missed a bunch, I ran all over the place and actually felt bored in the end because there was so much to read and so little to do. :)

Fortune favors the bald.

There's almost no information on the Mojave in Zion, but there's a lot of information on the locals and locale. Graham is I think fleshed out more through his action and I was surprised as well when he didn't have a bigger role, but in the end I felt like a had a much better understanding of him and what he'd been through and was going to do. But maybe you missed a bunch, I ran all over the place and actually felt bored in the end because there was so much to read and so little to do. :)

There were a handful of areas on the map I didn't bother unlocking, including a couple of caves. So maybe that's where a lot of the information was found. I just stuck mainly to the quests given to me, and the areas associated with those quests, or the areas I'd come across as a direct result of walking toward those quest locations.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

There were a handful of areas on the map I didn't bother unlocking, including a couple of caves. So maybe that's where a lot of the information was found. I just stuck mainly to the quests given to me, and the areas associated with those quests, or the areas I'd come across as a direct result of walking toward those quest locations.

The best part of Honest Hearts was the pure exploration, which included finding and reading all the Survivalist's journals. It's especially cool if you've been to the actual Zion National Park. Apart from the journals, I thought the writing felt a little flat, in that I didn't really see much reason to care about the characters that the DLC introduced. I was curious about Graham, and the initial conversation with him was interesting, but I never really bought into the whole "decide the fate of these tribes" thing as being an important thing to do. It lacked an element of mystery to draw the player in, IMO.

I never really bought into the whole "decide the fate of these tribes" thing as being an important thing to do. It lacked an element of mystery to draw the player in, IMO.

Yeah that's pretty spot on. The whole NCR vs NVs vs The Legion seemed much more pressing and important than the tribal dispute - it worked better in the other DLCs where you were abducted or it related to your character personally.

Fortune favors the bald.

Civ V: GaK.

While the religion and espionage definitely add a layer to the game, they seem to be left too much in the background to actually be something to really take note of. Shame.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Finished Spec Ops.

Please Monte; for all of us, go back to drinking.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

No. My star shines brighter sober.

You even sound desperate over the internet. You must really want a drink.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Onto Dead Money for me. The only disconnect for me with regards to these DLCs is that I can't bring any of my current companions with me.

Finished Spec Ops. Brilliant game. Though the final battles needed a checkpoint or two more than they had.

Time to completion 8.7 hours on suicide difficulty.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Onto Dead Money for me. The only disconnect for me with regards to these DLCs is that I can't bring any of my current companions with me.

If you play PC there are mod for that.

Fortune favors the bald.

Started playing Spec Ops: The Line now too. I am in chapter 10+ something and it is a pretty good game. Feels a bit rough in times, but other than that... yeah, it seems quite good.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

If you play PC there are mod for that.

XBox 360. :(