Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your first Computer Specs

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 5943 posts
My first pc was a used 10MHz Intel 286 laptop with I think 640kb RAM. The built in screen only displayed multiple shades of blue, but hooking it to a 16 color external CGA-Monitor let me have a better image

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 5943 posts
Hmm I meant to post this in skeeters

Setzer

Setzer

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 512 posts
Smooth move. :)

Mine was an Intel 386DX-33 w/ 4mb RAM. It also had a 2400bps modem to connect to the Prodigy service and local BBS's.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9692 posts
Mine was a Commodore 64 with 64k Ram and a MOS 6569 gfx processor :)

Setzer

Setzer

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 512 posts
I couldn't edit my original post. Just remembered the 386 was not my first PC, it was an Apple IIc. Played some classic games on that beast......Zork, Archon, Mechwarrior, Quest for Glory, etc.. :)

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6009 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
My first computer as ZX Spectrum 48K.

http://en.wikipedia....ctrum_16K.2F48K

My first PC was a Hyundai XT, or maybe AT machine, with VGA graphics, one 3 1?2-inch floppy drive, and a 14" screen. Later on my Dad bought a mouse, but I never really got used to it until much later.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2279 posts
Thanks for the people making me feel young - my first, as in first paid by me instead of my parents, was as late as an Athlon XP 1600+ with GF3-Ti500 graphics. That was store-assembled. I subsequently built an XP1800+ as the "family" computer (learning to do so by disassembling its predecessor), put the Ti500 in it, and bought a GF4-Ti4200 to plug into my machine. The motherboard PCB was a lovely shade of purple, more manufacturers need to use purple PCBs....

Before that, sort of mine (as in I was the primary user) were a P3-600 + TNT2, a P200MMX and a DX4/100. And before I could safely call dad's PCs were a monochrome DX2/66 laptop, a 12MHz 286, and some IBM compatible in the late 80s I know next to nothing about. That PC I suppose could be taken as a valid answer to this - I remember some of the games on it: Alley Cat, Winter Games, Pole Position, etc; and I know my older cousin installed and played Pool of Radiance on it, but I was too young to understand it back then.

The longest lived out of those machines was actually the P200 which survived from 1997, which got repurposed to be my DOS gaming machine from '99 until the maturation of DOSbox in the mid noughties - I know I ran it alongside a Northwood P4 at some point.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2208 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The first computer owned in my family was an IBM PS/2, sometime around 1988. I don't recall exact specs, but I remember that it was pretty cool because it had a hard drive-- 20 MBs!

Gfted1

Gfted1

Moderators

• Moderators
  • 3372 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
My first was also the Commodore 64. Ah the fun I had with:

10 say Hello World
20 goto 10

or something like that.

My first Windows PC was a 75MHz Acer and I got it just before Windows 95 was released. I remember it being a big deal and they gave me a voucher for a free upgrade to be mailed to me. My Windows 3.1 friends were all huddled behind me while it installed, green with envy, lol.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3455 posts
Amiga upgraded to 1 mb ram.

First PC

300 mhz genuine pentium. 256 mb ram. 30 megabyte HDD. One of the first ever vodoo cards If memory serves.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5811 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
A ZX81. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81

The ZX81 came with 1 kB of on-board memory that could officially be expanded externally to 16 kB. Its single circuit board is housed inside a wedge-shaped plastic case measuring 167 millimetres (6.6 in) deep by 40 millimetres (1.6 in) high. The memory is provided by either a single 4118 (1024 bit 8) or two 2114 (1024 bit 4) RAM chips. There are only three other chips on board: a 3.5 MHz Z80A 8-bit microprocessor from Nippon Electric (now NEC), an uncommitted logic array (ULA) chip from Ferranti and a 8 kB ROM providing a simple BASIC interpreter. The entire machine weighs just 350 grams (12 oz).[5] Early versions of the external RAM cartridge contained 15 kB of memory using an assortment of memory chips, while later versions contained 16 kB of chips but the lowest addressed kilobyte was disabled.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5811 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
First PC was a 333 Mhz HP with 256 MB RAM a bit like Gorgon's, think I bought it in 1996.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
First one I actually owned? Oh dear, i don't even remember. I'd have to ask hubby. He actually had the "early" stuff cause he was into it before I even met him (he probably once had a used TRS-80 and the Com.64, that sort of thing). So when we first moved in together, it was "his" computer/s. He'd build his own and go out hunting for bargain used HDD's that were big, heavy, and had tiny space. I don't think I got one that was entirely for myself until about ... um ... 1992? Darn, was that 20 years ago already?

I know hubs dealt with Ms-Dos and Windows versions pre-3, so I do vaguely remember those because of that, but I didn't get into PC's much until 3.1. I think. And until Doom/Myst, I didn't use the PC for anything but word processing. Bah, too long ago.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7986 posts
My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48k.

I was pretty late into the PC era, so my first PC was an Athlon XP 1800+ with a Geforce 4 Ti4600 128MB card. I actually didn't build my first PC myself, but had it built at a combined fishing and computer store (!) in the town I was studying in at the time. I remember it came with 512 MB RAM and I upgraded it with a second 512 MB RAM stick for something like 1500 SEK (200+ dollars). It also had a 40 GB harddrive, which was considered big at that time.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4880 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I had a 386 20 Mhz up until 1997, heh, was funny that the Turbo button made the clock speed indicator go down rather than up. Good times playing X-Wing, F-19, Gunship 2000 and F-117A Nighthawk on that.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8638 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't know how you people remember, but I was 7 and I didn't really know anything. All I remember is Win 95 came out that year, but I was still mainly doing stuff in DOS (since a lot of games were in DOS). Scorched Earth, I remember was one of the early favourites, as well as SkiFree.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2208 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't know how you people remember, but I was 7 and I didn't really know anything. All I remember is Win 95 came out that year, but I was still mainly doing stuff in DOS (since a lot of games were in DOS). Scorched Earth, I remember was one of the early favourites, as well as SkiFree.

We remember because we're older than you.

Note: Somewhat paradoxically, this is also the reason that we forget.
  • Nepenthe likes this

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9692 posts

Scorched Earth and Blubber Volley are some of the best shareware/freeware dos games ever :thumbsup:

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3834 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Wait, what?

Why do I think you talk like you are in your 30's/40's? *schocking revelations .txt updated*

Anyway, same situation as Tigranes actually. Though, I did more on our 95 pc at the time.

Edited by C2B, 26 June 2012 - 04:43 AM.

Bos_hybrid

Bos_hybrid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2072 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
So is this first computer owned or played?

If it's played then it was an Amstrad CPC. The one with a floppy drive in the Keyboard.

If it was owned then......I can't remember some HP or Compaq crap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users