Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Books we've been reading V2.0

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 7222 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm half way through The Shining. Meh, it's OK I guess. Horror does not really work in print I guess. All the things I've read that actually scared me were all non-fiction. As far as Kings writing, it's just average. He does not spare text to set the scene or build suspense. He just tells the story in a very workman like fashion.

That's really the definition of Stephen King, and most literary critics would support you in that. He is the ultimate workman author. His talent is quantity. He can write a lot of decent books faster than almost anyone, but he's never put out something truly great. He is like the antithesis of JD Salinger.

I'm not knocking him, I still think it is amazing what he does.

Edited by Hurlshot, 05 July 2012 - 05:14 PM.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Stephen king: geralds game, misery, Carrie, it, the stand, the shining, pet sematery, desperation, salems lot, green mile

All those are good or great

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7069 posts

You know I have never read a single Stephen King book? I've read thousands of books but not one by King. I've seen the movies but that is not the same. Maybe I should give the man a look. Heck he chuns them out faster than most folks can read them.

Any suggestions? What was his best work? And don't say Dark Tower, I read the synopsis and it does not sound like something I'd like.

Hmmm. Stephen King. Hmmm. I suppose if you write that much it's going to be hit or miss. And I'm kinda meh when it comes to horror. My advice is to get Skeleton Crew, the anthology of his short stories. King is an especially gifted short story writer, and some of them are good. A pretty good Stephen King starter for ten.

This man speaks the truth.

King's novellas are great too. Different Seasons (Shawshank Redemption, Stand by me, ...) is a must read.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3880 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I agree that The Stand is pretty good. Ive read that one a few times.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6090 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I finished A Clash of Kings the other day, which I was reading more or less along with the series. It's horrible.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6369 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
When and if my book comes out you must all buy it. Please.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2973 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

When and if my book comes out you must all buy it. Please.

Only if you let me translate it into Swedish.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2973 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three.

I really enjoyed this one, but I can see why a lot of people dislike King. His writing style isn't for everyone. He likes to take his time before getting to the point. I personally like his books, but I've often been told my taste in books isn't the best.

Going to start "Rides a dread legion" before I continue with the Dark Tower books.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Dont worry monte, when your book gets released I'll buy two copies!

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
just finished Dan Simmons Song of Kali

still undecided how much i liked it.

the writer successfully evokes dread throughout the novel, and at times the story is very gripping. However, the main character is mostly unlikeable, behaving in frustrating and illogical ways. The plot is very ... disjointed(?)... its almost like 3 seperate short stories crammed together. The sucker punch finale is not something led up to, it just kind of happens, and could have been inserted into almost any book because it did not relate to the rest of what was going on in any apparent way.

i dunno, i guess i'd give it a C- for plot and characters, and a B+ for prose - i might change my mind after thinking about it a few more days

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • Backer
Now reading Sharpe's Victory by Cromwell. Every time I read one of these I get the urge to play Empire:Total War

Serrano

Serrano

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm listening to book 2 of The Forgotten Legion by Ben Kane. So far it's a bit like Gladiator in reverse with Asterix's Obelix as the best friend, Getafix as a total badass and Hannah Baxter as the protagonist's long-lost twin. I've also bought and heard a little of the Borne Identity audiobook, it's great and seems to be a wildly different story from the movie even if it shares the basic outline.

Edited by Serrano, 25 July 2012 - 08:08 PM.

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1400 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I finished A Clash of Kings the other day, which I was reading more or less along with the series. It's horrible.

I finished it yesterday, it was really fun but the TV series added some new plot elements that worked so much better...apart from Daenerys

Spoiler

the TV show really butchered that bit.

The real question now is whether to start on book 3, I'm not sure I can wait a year for the next season, apparently this is where it starts to get really dark, I've read several posts from people who threw the book across the room in outrage and I kinda want to see what the fuss is about.

Edited by WDeranged, 04 August 2012 - 11:20 AM.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5405 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Had a nice sprint, read two 40k books, Know No Fear and The Primarchs. The former is a case of taking a relatively short story and dragging it out, I did like the jumps in scenes before the ambush at Calth. Guilliman in space with no helmet, well..yeah. Second one was meh.

Finally got around to Day of the Jackal, was an entertaining thriller, a bit convenient for Lebel to show up at the right place near the end, but eh. And next up is Leviathan Wakes, I'm hoping this is a decent space opera novel, first time I've bought a book on the back cover so to speak, heh

Edited by Malcador, 09 August 2012 - 04:59 AM.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2754 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Picked up an independently epublished book from Amazon called "Quicker" by Laurence Dahner. Not a heavy read, but a fairly fun "light" near future sci-fi story. Got me interested enough to pick up the next 3 novels he's done on the series. Definitely has that feel that crosses something from Honor Harrington with EE Doc Smiths area, but aimed more for the teenage audience. Each one's around 200-250 pages, but they hold together fairly well with some interesting characters. The sci-fi is fairly minimalistic, but nicely thought out. It's not earth shaking, but it's entertaining.

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 10890 posts
Half way through Storm of Swords ... plus an excessive pile of magazines that is getting smaller as I travel!

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3590 posts
Spoiler

Reading book 5.
  • Fionavar likes this

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5148 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I just read all the five books of the a song of ice and fire-series. Now what to do? :-/

The real question now is whether to start on book 3, I'm not sure I can wait a year for the next season, apparently this is where it starts to get really dark, I've read several posts from people who threw the book across the room in outrage and I kinda want to see what the fuss is about.

Remember the words: "Red Wedding"

Edited by Meshugger, 12 August 2012 - 08:49 AM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3590 posts
I don't see what all the fuss is about. It has a few highlights here and there, but I wouldn't call it much better than average for the fantasy shelf. At least it's easily digestible. Maybe that's its strenght.

Liked the TV series better than the book(s), which is an incredibly odd thing to hear yourself say.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6369 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Am reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson,

published in 2011. The story, set in the present day, centers on the plight of a hostage and the ensuing efforts of family and new acquaintances, many of them associated with a fictional MMORPG, to rescue her as her various captors drag her about the globe. Topics covered range from online activities including gold farming and social networking to the criminal methods of the Russian mafia and Islamic terrorists.

I wish I was as clever as this guy, even if he is a bit too clever for his own good now and then.

I think a lot of the people here would dig it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users