Books we've been reading V2.0

Monte Carlo

Now that I think of it, I believe Cook actually wrote the books during his shifts while working at General Motors. That explains a lot in the writing style as well. He also was a Vietnam war veteran IIRC which explains the language, "soldiers acting like soldiers".

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

the Black Company is one of my favorite fantasy novels. It's not without flaws, but what it does well outshines any weaknesses.

The Road has, as far as I'm concerned, the best prose in any english language novel, ever. I know there is probably no one else on earth who agrees with me, but until I read something better, I'm sticking with that opinion.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Recently read The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I liked it a lot but since finding out that Brandon is also the writer who's taken over the Wheel of Time series I'm dreading the wait in store for me for the nine sequels.

I'm not bothering with huge multi book series anymore. Malazan is the only one I'm currently involved in, and it will be the last. At least Erikson churned out the books rather quickly, too.

Writers like Bakker & Abercrombie too do not go beyond trilogies followed by standalone novels, which is rather perfect.

You know I have never read a single Stephen King book? I've read thousands of books but not one by King. I've seen the movies but that is not the same. Maybe I should give the man a look. Heck he chuns them out faster than most folks can read them.

Any suggestions? What was his best work? And don't say Dark Tower, I read the synopsis and it does not sound like something I'd like.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You know I have never read a single Stephen King book? I've read thousands of books but not one by King. I've seen the movies but that is not the same. Maybe I should give the man a look. Heck he chuns them out faster than most folks can read them.

Any suggestions? What was his best work? And don't say Dark Tower, I read the synopsis and it does not sound like something I'd like.

I liked "It" and "The Shining" the most, although I did (still do) enjoy reading most of his books.

I used to be a big King Fan. Desperation was one of my favorites.

Avoid Hearts in Atlantis. That book was so boring it caused me to stop reading for 2 years.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

King has a lot of interesting ideas, but his books can vary incredibly wildly in the quality of the writing.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I downloaded Cujo & The Shining to my Kindle.

For those George RR Martin fans out there (you know that means most of you) this is very f*****g funny!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hmmm. Stephen King. Hmmm. I suppose if you write that much it's going to be hit or miss. And I'm kinda meh when it comes to horror. My advice is to get Skeleton Crew, the anthology of his short stories. King is an especially gifted short story writer, and some of them are good. A pretty good Stephen King starter for ten.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm half way through The Shining. Meh, it's OK I guess. Horror does not really work in print I guess. All the things I've read that actually scared me were all non-fiction. As far as Kings writing, it's just average. He does not spare text to set the scene or build suspense. He just tells the story in a very workman like fashion.

Thomas Sowell

I'm half way through The Shining. Meh, it's OK I guess. Horror does not really work in print I guess. All the things I've read that actually scared me were all non-fiction. As far as Kings writing, it's just average. He does not spare text to set the scene or build suspense. He just tells the story in a very workman like fashion.

That's really the definition of Stephen King, and most literary critics would support you in that. He is the ultimate workman author. His talent is quantity. He can write a lot of decent books faster than almost anyone, but he's never put out something truly great. He is like the antithesis of JD Salinger.

I'm not knocking him, I still think it is amazing what he does.

Edited by Hurlshot

Stephen king: geralds game, misery, Carrie, it, the stand, the shining, pet sematery, desperation, salems lot, green mile

All those are good or great

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Hmmm. Stephen King. Hmmm. I suppose if you write that much it's going to be hit or miss. And I'm kinda meh when it comes to horror. My advice is to get Skeleton Crew, the anthology of his short stories. King is an especially gifted short story writer, and some of them are good. A pretty good Stephen King starter for ten.

This man speaks the truth.

King's novellas are great too. Different Seasons (Shawshank Redemption, Stand by me, ...) is a must read.

I finished A Clash of Kings the other day, which I was reading more or less along with the series. It's horrible.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three.

I really enjoyed this one, but I can see why a lot of people dislike King. His writing style isn't for everyone. He likes to take his time before getting to the point. I personally like his books, but I've often been told my taste in books isn't the best.

Going to start "Rides a dread legion" before I continue with the Dark Tower books.

Dont worry monte, when your book gets released I'll buy two copies!

• 2 weeks later...

just finished Dan Simmons Song of Kali

still undecided how much i liked it.

the writer successfully evokes dread throughout the novel, and at times the story is very gripping. However, the main character is mostly unlikeable, behaving in frustrating and illogical ways. The plot is very ... disjointed(?)... its almost like 3 seperate short stories crammed together. The sucker punch finale is not something led up to, it just kind of happens, and could have been inserted into almost any book because it did not relate to the rest of what was going on in any apparent way.

i dunno, i guess i'd give it a C- for plot and characters, and a B+ for prose - i might change my mind after thinking about it a few more days