Books we've been reading V2.0

Monte Carlo

With a Feast for Crows you have to make a decission. Are you still intereste in reading the following books? Then force yourself through it. Are you happy saying "It was a fun right up until here but thats it" then stop.

A Dance with Dragons has Daenarys and Tyrion, but both go into a waiting loop while GRRM messes about with characters noone cares about.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I'll read the entire series, it just needs to get better as it goes on.

Well, we all are hoping that Feast is the low point. But Dance isn't that much better.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Dance with Dragons was worth it for me because of Arya Stark.  But yeah, I hope the next book is a lot more focused and productive.

It was worth it for me for Jaime actually. I like how he is evolving.

And then there is the scene with Slynt :)

And my favourid quote:

"Though mayhaps this was a blessing.  Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey."

• Like 1

Now reading You Gotta Have Wa, it's about the experiences of US baseball players in the NPB in Japan. Cool stuff. Also reading Dogs Don't Bite When a Growl Will Do by Matt Weinstein. It's about dog behavior.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm like 4/5ths through Dance of Dragons. I don't know if the Recluce books trained me to enjoy the slow stuff, but I am enjoying it. Some good moments with Daenerys, Tyrion being punished more, Jon doing his best to make the Nights Watch stronger than it has been in hundreds of years despite everyone in any sort of position of power within the order trying to stop him because Wildlings. I don't get the Theon love that I've been hearing though.

As for the following seasons of GoT being meh due to Feast and Dance, my guess is they will condense it a bit, plus considering they take place concurrently, the lack of Jon and Tyrion etc. in Feast won't be as apparent. They'll have to condense it because they have said they are making the show 7 seasons, and if Storm of Swords is getting split into 2 seasons, then they continue with one season per book, they'll have to merge the last two books(once they're written) into a single season. And no one will like that.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Now reading A Chain of Thunder by Jeff Shaara. When  this guy got started we wasn't fit to even READ his fathers books, let alone write sequels. He has really gotten a lot better over the years. This one is really good.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Finished the first book in the Prince of Nothing series and I'm starting to see why people like it, the background lore is pretty damn deep, I get big Dune vibes from the style and sweep of it.  Seedy undertones and sexual perversions are prominent and I like how magic is a profane and mistrusted thing in this world, it's nothing ground breaking but the idea that it's a genuine desecration appeals to me. The characters are memorable though some might find them a bit one note, I suspect this is to display the vastly differing philosophies and themes that play a big part in the story, it's never boring though.

I started reading The Road, I'm really surprised that it's not gripping me what with all the acclaim it's gotten but I'm only 1/4 of the way in, I've not totally adjusted to the extremely blunt style of writing but at least it's a short book, hopefully by the end I'll be eating my words.

Feast of Crows.

Read the last 200 pages today. The book could honestly have consisted of these 200 pages and I would've been content. I guess he had to step things up a little by the end of the book. he goes on and on and on but nothing of great importance happens for long periods of time. I know this happens in the three first books, but I still think they had enough exciting things going on every now and then. In book 4, he waits for 400-500 pages before I started felt drawn in. At least book 5 includes the characters I like, so there's that to look forward to. I'll try to start reading it tomorrow.