Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When your business plan is based on a cartoon film...

Scotland independence

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5586 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-18308335

This is just sad. I honestly feel bad for my countrymen if this is what their plan for post-independence is based on. It's as if the fool thinks we're not in the middle of an appalling recession. Inward investment? From where? Why?

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 6988 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
To be fair, the movie does look good and will probably make half a billion dollars when all is said and done.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2669 posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-18308335

This is just sad. I honestly feel bad for my countrymen if this is what their plan for post-independence is based on. It's as if the fool thinks we're not in the middle of an appalling recession. Inward investment? From where? Why?

You're Scottish? :blink:

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5813 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I can't wait for Scottish independence, frankly.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1841 posts
I wish some of our more liberal states would declare independence.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
About time the Scots get serious about unchaining the shackles from Imperial London.

Edited by Morgoth, 10 June 2012 - 12:59 PM.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2669 posts
Scots are British? :blink:

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1841 posts
Scotland is currently part of Great Britain, or what else do you mean?

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2669 posts

Scotland is currently part of Great Britain, or what else do you mean?

So Scots are British but not English? :ermm:
So why did Wals call them countrymen? I'm very confused.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1841 posts
England is part of Great Britain, so are Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. None of the latter are English, but all are British. Britain and England are not the same thing. Scots are Wals' countrymen because Great Britain is the country they belong to.

Edit: Actually I have to correct myself, Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom but not part of Britain I believe.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon, 10 June 2012 - 06:29 PM.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2209 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Which would leave "real America" in the same situation Scotland would find itself: out of money. If you look at the balance of payments between each state's citizens and the federal government in aggregate, the net of federal taxes, spending, and transfers is, in effect, a whole lot of money being taken from the Northeast and the West Coast and given to the states in between.
  • entrerix likes this

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1841 posts
I knew someone would bring that up eventually. I think we'd be fine without the redistributionist subsidies, they always do more harm than good anyway. The extra economic growth we'd get from sane economic policies would more than make up for that. Why is it the job of the Federal government to redistribute income between states?

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2669 posts

Which would leave "real America" in the same situation Scotland would find itself: out of money. If you look at the balance of payments between each state's citizens and the federal government in aggregate, the net of federal taxes, spending, and transfers is, in effect, a whole lot of money being taken from the Northeast and the West Coast and given to the states in between.

On the other hand the change on the House of Representative and Congress could work out to our favor. Although that is hoping for much.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2209 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I knew someone would bring that up eventually. I think we'd be fine without the redistributionist subsidies, they always do more harm than good anyway. The extra economic growth we'd get from sane economic policies would more than make up for that. Why is it the job of the Federal government to redistribute income between states?

It's less a function of purely redistribution than it is of that higher incomes pay more tax, and per capita incomes are generally higher in the "bluer" states. Also, locations of major military installations make a big difference in terms of where money gets spent.

As for the "extra economic growth" thing, well, good luck with that. Sounds like wishcasting to me.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Backer

On the other hand the change on the House of Representative and Congress could work out to our favor. Although that is hoping for much.

Change is coming in November I suspect. And I daresay you will not like it when it does.

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6460 posts

England is part of Great Britain, so are Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. None of the latter are English, but all are British. Britain and England are not the same thing. Scots are Wals' countrymen because Great Britain is the country they belong to.

Edit: Actually I have to correct myself, Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom but not part of Britain I believe.

you forgot Cornwall...

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1841 posts

It's less a function of purely redistribution than it is of that higher incomes pay more tax, and per capita incomes are generally higher in the "bluer" states. Also, locations of major military installations make a big difference in terms of where money gets spent.

As for the "extra economic growth" thing, well, good luck with that. Sounds like wishcasting to me.

Those taxes are for redistribution though, miltiary spending aside. I'm not gowing to retread the economic growth argument, but that would be one way to find out, if historical evidence isn't enough.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Backer

Those taxes are for redistribution though, miltiary spending aside. I'm not gowing to retread the economic growth argument, but that would be one way to find out, if historical evidence isn't enough.

Beware what you wish for. I think that is a near certainty in the not too distant future. I believe it is necassary, unavoidable and undesireable.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2669 posts

Beware what you wish for. I think that is a near certainty in the not too distant future. I believe it is necassary, unavoidable and undesireable.

Maybe i'm too jaded from the last 3 upcoming apocalypses but i'm not buying into this whole foretelling. I mean I still have a mix CD full of songs with end of the world themes, but i'm beginning to doubt I'll ever play it.
  • Enoch likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Backer
Maybe it will never happen. I hope not. I think in the long run it would be for the best but in the short term it would be terrible. But I've made my own preparations if it ever does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users