RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Old news, but really read-worthy for all EU gamers on these boards... Feel free to spread the news and post on Steam boards, that in EU the customers still have the right of the First Sale on software ;(

...The European Court of Justice has ruled that customers have a right to resell software they purchase regardless of whether the software was originally distributed on a physical medium or downloaded over the Internet....

Limitations

However, the CJEU did place two limitations on the resale rights, both of which apply to what UsedSoft has been doing. In cases where the 'first acquirer' had bought a licence covering more users than needed, the court said they could not then divide the licence and "resell only part of it".

"Furthermore, the Court states that an original acquirer of a tangible or intangible copy of a computer program for which the copyright holder's right of distribution is exhausted must make the copy downloaded onto his own computer unusable at the time of resale," the CJEU added.

http://arstechnica.c...oaded-software/

So if you have purchased some games over Steam, which you did not enjoyed as much as marketing has said to you, or you feel that you have been cheated by 6 hours singleplayer for 60EUR, it should be legal to sell that piece of software in European Union.

And if you like lawyer talk, here is the link to the InfoCuria - Case-law of the Court of Justice:

http://curia.europa....t=1&cid=5213884

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Old news, but really read-worthy for all EU gamers on these boards... Feel free to spread the news and post on Steam boards, that in EU the customers still have the right of the First Sale on software ;(

It has been discussed before.

Until Valve/EA lose a major court case over this nothing changes.

The whole ruling will likely prove meaningless anyway.

The time to fight for right of resale was when developers declared their software a licensable service instead of a product.

i'll believe it when i see it, but if the kickstarter does open up, then yeah, i'm going to be all over it

just thinking about it makes me want to replay torment...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Well yeah, I'm sure the win8 app store and native Live integration has nothing to do with it. If MS goes full Apple- pretty much inevitable now that its closed system is so successful- steam is dead on windows medium term and Gabe knows it. I do wonder how many steam fans would actually switch to Linux if told to.

So if you have purchased some games over Steam, which you did not enjoyed as much as marketing has said to you, or you feel that you have been cheated by 6 hours singleplayer for 60EUR, it should be legal to sell that piece of software in European Union.

Not necessarily. The case that was judged was very specific : an unlimited licence that could be applied to a software which was otherwise completely free to download. You have to pay the game before downloading it with Steam. And they could bypass it by limiting the licence's duration, even if extend it is free.

http://www.rockpaper...escape-2-do-it/

OK fan-persons, squeegasm to your hearts content.

I am not excited. The game was "complete" in my book and i do not see a reason to do a sequel.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I somehow think that more people want it today than 10 years ago. Simply because of hype and nostalgia.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I just watched it normally.

Probably going to play Crysis 3, simply because of the bow, as I am a bow shooter myself and it is just damn cool.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It looks great graphically, as expected, but man, could they integrate an anymore uninspired story? I was bored of those voice actors/characters in Crysis 1 already. I'll pick it up once it reaches the bargin bin for it's tech.

Also, didn't they say they were going back to sandbox gameplay like Far Cry and Crysis 1 to an extent? It looks more like Crysis 2 from the preview.

Edited by Blodhemn

I somehow think that more people want it today than 10 years ago. Simply because of hype and nostalgia.

Nostalgia doesn't work with me - it tends to severely disappoint.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

crysis 1 and 2 were both mediocre at best, im definitely skipping this

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition news.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2009/post-if-you-just-pre-ordered-countdown-spoilers

1 new adventure, 3 new characters, a monk, a wild mage, and a blackguard. Ready for pre-order, releases in September on the 18th.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition news.

http://forum.baldurs...ntdown-spoilers

1 new adventure, 3 new characters, a monk, a wild mage, and a blackguard. Ready for pre-order, releases in September on the 18th.

... and the official site with the pictures and all is completely hammered. Again.

Looks like I'll have to get the PC version, too, so that I can show my support for the project. It's not like I haven't bought this game 3-4 times already, what's another 3.

Edit: each of the characters comes with an adventure, too.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif