Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
628 replies to this topic

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 7212 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
How does reselling downloaded games even work? It seems like a terrible idea, to be honest.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7012 posts
  • Backer

How does reselling downloaded games even work? It seems like a terrible idea, to be honest.

Seriel keys/product ID, if I had to guess.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 7212 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ok, so you sell your key to someone else, how is it going to be deactivated for you?

Also, isn't this just going to lead to even more online DRM checks?

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7026 posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5rVlCYt25U

When did Double Bear hire Prosper?

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2029 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
This is hardly prosper quality level.

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3206 posts

Because of the trailer, or because of the game? Elaborate please.

because of the game, of course

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16270 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
"Shipped != sold. But those are still decent numbers, although the sell through numbers are probably quite a bit lower. "

The article was very clear. It sold 3.5mil+ copies. Why argue with facts? L0L 'Decent' numbers. :p

pmp10

pmp10

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 866 posts

Ok, so you sell your key to someone else, how is it going to be deactivated for you?

It's about the principle of reselling a 'license' to a game.
So in theory you could legally sell your steam/origin account with games attached to it.

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2132 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

"Shipped != sold. But those are still decent numbers, although the sell through numbers are probably quite a bit lower. "

The article was very clear. It sold 3.5mil+ copies. Why argue with facts? L0L 'Decent' numbers. :p

The article was misquoting it's source. The mass effect 3 has sold 3.5 million copies was a link to another article. Quoting from that:

"EA announced today that Mass Effect 3 shipped over 3.5 million copies in the first week of release, selling 890,000 units in the first 24 hours of North American sales alone."

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16270 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It sold 3.5mil+ copies. 'Nough said. no amount of silly double spin talk by you changes that fact.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1649 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The article was misquoting it's source. The mass effect 3 has sold 3.5 million copies was a link to another article. Quoting from that:

"EA announced today that Mass Effect 3 shipped over 3.5 million copies in the first week of release, selling 890,000 units in the first 24 hours of North American sales alone."

Bro, Volourn.

NPDs did suggest that ME3 sold through most of those 3.5m and probably sold about as much as either ME game did over their lifetime in that first month. Even if sales fell off a cliff after that it had already done enough to be profitable.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 7212 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's about the principle of reselling a 'license' to a game.
So in theory you could legally sell your steam/origin account with games attached to it.

Again, it sounds like a terrible idea.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8092 posts
This verdict means you actually own the software that you buy. It means you own your OS and can resell it later, for example.

Only on the internet can you find someone who thinks this is a bad thing.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 7212 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

This verdict means you actually own the software that you buy. It means you own your OS and can resell it later, for example.

Only on the internet can you find someone who thinks this is a bad thing.

We've got a separate thread for this now, so I will explain why I think it is bad there.

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8226 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Some of you will dismiss this entirely, but Right now the mists of pandas expansion is getting it pre patch tossed to the public, meaning tha'tll go into effect probably in sept oct...........

And a month beyond would be the expansion release or so

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4621 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

EU rules you can resell downloaded games.

Interesting.

This sadly won't change anything long-term.
Companies still consider EULAs binding even in countries that had ruled against them.
If they pretend it didn't happen for long enough it will go away.

Haha, they're dealing with the European Commission now, the most efficient and ruthless bureaucracy in the history of mankind, the reason why you get that "pick a browser" screen in Windows... in Europe.

I assume it'll force Steam & co to create a used game marketplace, where the games can be sold and traded in-system. I also assume that they'll be allowed to take a slice off the top for running it. I additionally assume that publishers will want a part of that slice.

Edited by Nepenthe, 03 July 2012 - 11:55 PM.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2099 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

StarDock had this option by default on their digital distribution service Impulse. Unfortunately, I do not know if it still has the option after it was sold to GameStop.

EDIT: You sold your game back to Stardock for a some amount, which was of course lower than current "new game" price, and it was unbound from your Impulse account.

Edited by Mamoulian War, 04 July 2012 - 02:59 AM.

Jaesun

Jaesun

Fabulous Paladin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1910 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Kaiija
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

http://www.eurogamer...sword-developer

Watchmen co-creator Dave Gibbons plans to make a new, original adventure game with Beneath a Steel Sky and Broken Sword developer Revolution Software, Eurogamer can reveal.
The comic book artist will be involved in the creation of the game "from the ground up", and will direct the look of it, Gibbons told Eurogamer in an exclusive interview at the GameCityNights event in Nottingham last week.

Well, this is promising.

It was interesting until you read this:

While platforms remain undecided upon, likely candidates are mobile devices such as the iPad and iPhone - where Revolution has seen a good deal of recent success with updates of its back catalogue of titles.

Meh.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7012 posts
  • Backer
http://gamepod.hu/hi..._pc_verzio.html
FF VII PC finally announced.

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit