What you did today

Tale

Having a sober day today, which has been a while now.

For the last week, I've only gotten evening shifts at work which means that I typically get off at 9:30pm or thereabouts. Trouble is that I know a group of people who, for some reason or another haven't worked a lot lately (some also work late, some have gotten laid off at work, some have broken up with girlfriends, some are happy with the nice weather we've been having, some are typical bums). These people are the kind of people who are very generous and charitable, so you know that you'll always be treated well when you show up there (the home of one particular guy there) as long you bring some beer or wine of your own every now and then to treat the others to. And of course, the guy lives like 5 minutes away from where I work.

So it's been plenty of late-night drinking and while it thankfully has been very nice atmosphere, with lots of playing music and singing and people getting happy-drunk but not to the point where they puke all over the place, I must say that I'm really feeling the after-effects now. Reeeeally tired. So it's gonna be good to go back to a regular schedule and all that.

Still, must say it's been a very pleasant and fun week. It's always great fun to have a group like that where you can just end up without having to plan it for weeks before, and then just having a jolly ol' time despite some of the people facing some hardships in their life at the moment. Good camradarie in the group.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

A jolly good time with friends is among the most difficult things to have. And if some of them can be your gaming buddies, even better. (We better get a Diablo 3 group going on here.)

3 more days until end of the year, then 48 hours of frantic packing, then 48 hours of planes and airports. The papers are mostly done, and I've finished Risen 2 before leaving, so mission accomplished. :dancing:

Finally broke through the 600HP barrier together with my father on his car. Feels ****ING AWESOME! :D

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Got a cold, damned coworkers showing up with their diseases.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

For the last week, I've only gotten evening shifts at work which means that I typically get off at 9:30pm or thereabouts. Trouble is that I know a group of people who, for some reason or another haven't worked a lot lately (some also work late, some have gotten laid off at work, some have broken up with girlfriends, some are happy with the nice weather we've been having, some are typical bums). These people are the kind of people who are very generous and charitable, so you know that you'll always be treated well when you show up there (the home of one particular guy there) as long you bring some beer or wine of your own every now and then to treat the others to. And of course, the guy lives like 5 minutes away from where I work.

So it's been plenty of late-night drinking and while it thankfully has been very nice atmosphere, with lots of playing music and singing and people getting happy-drunk but not to the point where they puke all over the place, I must say that I'm really feeling the after-effects now. Reeeeally tired. So it's gonna be good to go back to a regular schedule and all that.

Still, must say it's been a very pleasant and fun week. It's always great fun to have a group like that where you can just end up without having to plan it for weeks before, and then just having a jolly ol' time despite some of the people facing some hardships in their life at the moment. Good camradarie in the group.

I hear you, man. The more ****ed up work has got, the more I just want to lose myself in tunes and wine in the evening.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I should try that, usually I just channel my work stress into impotent death threats or hatred of our clientele.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

hatred of our clientele.

That sounds like Kaspersky support... :p

Tomorrow is going to be one of those days where I wish public holidays were the same countrywide. Microsoft is doing a training course online out of Singapore tomorrow and that means i have to go to work, even though it is a public holiday here (but not in the rest of Australia). Bye bye long weekend.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

nelson_ha_ha.jpg

But at least you get to learn stuff. My company's training policies have led my team to essentially train ourselves. Means I have to give presentations on some area of our product to my team mates, all at -30 CHR :lol:

But at least you get to learn stuff. My company's training policies have led my team to essentially train ourselves. Means I have to give presentations on some area of our product to my team mates, all at -30 CHR :lol:

Yeah, I could have said no, but that would be like shooting myself in the foot :sweat:

Funny how training always feels like it comes after the point where you needed it the most. It's been a recurring experience the last 15 years. Still, it's nice to catch up on some things and see if you did figure out most of the worthwhile stuff or if there was still room for improvement.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Cutting up vinyl covered garden-type fencing to tack up/lean up against the fences to discourage the 20 neighbor's cats (seriously....) from using our backyard as a highway. Can't keep them out entirely, I know that...just trying to make it feel less "safe" to easily escape from so they won't want to use it as a pass-thru/consider it part of their own yard so much. Wouldn't normally bother, but they're pestering my new outdoor cat too much lately. :/

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My new position keeps sending me on team building and awareness exercises. I keep objecting on the grounds that team work and forward thinking are why they hired me in the first bloody place. I am becoming increasingly enraged by their wasting my time.

A younger me might have enjoyed being taken on paid jaunts around the country. But i find as I age that I insist that work time be used for work!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A younger me might have enjoyed being taken on paid jaunts around the country. But i find as I age that I insist that work time be used for work!

So you're getting senile in your old age then ? :p

I hear you, man. The more ****ed up work has got, the more I just want to lose myself in tunes and wine in the evening.

And even though work has been beating me up a bit lately, I must say that the nicest thing is just to have that feeling of having a place where you can always go and be welcome. One of the greatest annoyances in my life is how much of a goddamn headache it can be at times just to get together with friends. If it's not work, it's scheduled gym-time, or blablablabla. Drives me batty at times since I'm not that great of a planner.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Lost about 3,000$ due to third party abuse of my credit card .. incidentally 2 of my friends have just experienced the same, we are trying to figure out where our information could've been stolen and if there's a connection to our 3 cases.

Not so worried though, the banks here are usually pretty lenient in these cases and tend to view it as a theft of their money rather than their customers (and cover the losses).

Fortune favors the bald.

Lost about 3,000$ due to third party abuse of my credit card .. incidentally 2 of my friends have just experienced the same, we are trying to figure out where our information could've been stolen and if there's a connection to our 3 cases.

Not so worried though, the banks here are usually pretty lenient in these cases and tend to view it as a theft of their money rather than their customers (and cover the losses).

Seems to be a lot of that going on, heard one of my coworkers had U.S. Walmart purchases show up on her's just this weekend. :p

Which is kind of hardcore, since it suggests they've actually cloned a physical card instead of just the info for online purchases.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. I have a credit card for one of my overseas bank accounts that I never use (normally), which I used as you normally would do when you check in at a hotel reception (this one in Sydney). We just need to make an imprint of your card Sir... sure. 2 weeks later I got a phone call from my bank overseas, checking if I by any chance were in the US and Canada right now? Nope. Strange, somebody just spent $6000 on rental car, travel and vacation :blink:

I filled out some kind of fraudulent use form sent by Visa and I got every cent back again. Gave them the name of the Hotel in Sydney too. Since it was the one and only time that Visa card saw action in 18 months, it was sort of easy to narrow down who had abused the information.

It's still a rather bad way to start a Monday though.

I hate the logistics of international banking, and imagine things will get really inconvenient if I ever fall victim to that kind of stunt. I'm a poor student with no real credit history or assets but my money is spread out between NZ and US accounts, I also do a lot of online transactions with Korean business (which perform the most effective form of xenophobic discrimination possible: everything is in Korean and you need not only a Korean credit card, but one tied to your national citizen ID, which generally means I have to make a lot of calls to Korea begging to buy their freaking products), and every time I try to do anything there's a lot of merry-go-round of moneys and regulations. Not to mention PayPal has now blacklisted my US credit card for a series of weird reasons, when I'm just an ordinary dude that wants to buy stuff from 3 different countries.

Couldn't happen here. There wouldn't be enough room in the trains for them to get their instruments out. Cool looking stations and trains though.

Awesome. Not to put a damper on it, but is that the actual recording / how did they record that? How come there is no ambient noise and the volumes/positionality is so perfect? Or did they just overlay a 'proper' version?

Awesome. Not to put a damper on it, but is that the actual recording / how did they record that? How come there is no ambient noise and the volumes/positionality is so perfect? Or did they just overlay a 'proper' version?

Going to guess it was recorded on a variety of trains, maybe on several different days (due to how many different angles there are) and the music track put on top of the video then. Still, pretty awesome. :)

To lighten the mood a bit, I really wish this had been the start of my monday instead.

I'm normally not a fan of the flashmob "phenomena" as most of them aren't funny or particular entertaining, but the few that are, are very much so. One of the more fun ones I remember seeing on youtube was these Aussie guys (I posted another video with them previously in the music thread) who after a concert at an English festival gathered hundreds of followers, tought them the verses and then marched around terrorising a small town singing Slavonic warsongs.

officially moved, got my internet back up and running just now... don't have a place to put my arm and mouse and keyboard.... kind of annoying, will probably fix it with boxes.

God this is expensive.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.