Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What you did today

the never ending thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
501 replies to this topic

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2672 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Very quiet day today. Dragged out for beers yesterday, and rolling around town like a good 'un. Just contemplating whether I really need to spend a few thousand on improving the insulation and security on the house. I had the quote yesterday and it comes all told to about a grand more than I intended. But then I look at the place and think how much better I'll sleep if I'm warm and safe(er).

And with good insulation..the heating bills will drop a fair bit over the winter...
  • Nepenthe likes this

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4494 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Weekend's passed way too fast. I can't wait for the dissertation to be done for good, it sucks my soul away. Happily Tuesday's off, I'll take it off the unpaid work, too.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8701 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
A familiar story where the piece I'm writing is transforming in nature precisely as I write, so that when I'm done, it will already be something very different in my mind, and what is actually written will be a horror-child caught in an existential crisis between two states of being.

Also, it would probably be better without Risen 2. Grrr.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4494 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

A familiar story where the piece I'm writing is transforming in nature precisely as I write, so that when I'm done, it will already be something very different in my mind, and what is actually written will be a horror-child caught in an existential crisis between two states of being.

Also, it would probably be better without Risen 2. Grrr.

I think it actually gets worse when you're done with that and just working on the index. :D :D:D:D:D:DDDDDDD :(

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 2672 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeesh. Caught a bit of a documentary about "Extreme Couponing".

Okay, spending a "minimum" of 35 hours a week on collecting/arranging/organising coupons, so you can go and do massive shopping sprees that end up costing you $0.. and having hordes of stuff you don't actually use for years if at all.... That's a point where you aren't "saving money" just losing a serious chunk of your life. If the choice is spending a hundred bucks or so, and getting 35 hours of your life back...

Edit:
Hm, and my mothers kindle is starting to go. The battery isn't lasting as long as it should and it doesn't let you switch the thing off. Or rather you can..but then it'll randomly switch itself on or into standby mode over the course of a night..

And kind of annoyed with Amazon about it - looking at the possibilities of picking up a replacement, the UK versions cost ridiculously more then buying it in the US. And Amazon.com no longer allows you to buy them and get it shipped across to the UK (which is how I got it for her birthday about 3 years ago).

I mean, seriously, Kindle Touch 3G in the US = $149. Or.. in the UK = 169 (which translates as $274).

That's a wee bit of a markup.

Edited by Raithe, 29 April 2012 - 12:24 PM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8701 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You can't ask someone to buy & ship from US for you? E.g. I'd be happy to, but (a) you may not want to trust an Internet Person (horror) with moneys, which is understandable, and (b) I'll be out of US for the summer in a week. But maybe you know somebody on the other side?

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 2672 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

You can't ask someone to buy & ship from US for you? E.g. I'd be happy to, but (a) you may not want to trust an Internet Person (horror) with moneys, which is understandable, and (b) I'll be out of US for the summer in a week. But maybe you know somebody on the other side?

I know a few people so I'm giving it some thought.
Heh, of course that's turned out to be an interesting issue - ordering a Kindle and Amazon will automatically set it up to your account unless you tell them it's a gift. So several have been stolen en-route, and the thieves get to buy books and such via the Kindle since they weren't set up with passwords or wotnot. Although that was some months ago, not sure if they've solved that problem yet...

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5204 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Exciting day of vacuuming my penguins and general dusting.

Serrano

Serrano

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 975 posts

Santa?

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9733 posts

Santa?

Wrong pole ;)

After a heavy downpour that lasted more than 30 hours, the silence when it ceased was almost deafening. It also meant a weekend spent cooped up indoors. Managed to catch up a bit on my gaming, but otherwise very uneventful.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4494 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Almost empty office at work, due to holiday tomorrow. Naturally CEO shows up. *snicker*

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2670 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
No work tomorrow. I'm guessing I'll be playing a lot. Risen 2 and Tales of Graces f will get my attention.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8701 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Still in crunch mode as I prepare to move out, leave the country, and finish three articles, and play Risen 2 since I won't have my desktop until September. Obviously, the last is the most important! *fire up*

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3552 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You're already done with your studies and are leaving the states?

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3507 posts
PHD students get an office and a travel stipend. They do here anyway. So why not use it.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8701 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
1 year out of 5 done, but I'll be at home in NZ for a little bit, then France and Korea for research projects. I'll be moving to a different place next year, so timed it to cut down on rent overlap. Which is why my desktop and other things will be languishing here for the summer.

Our school gives us quite a bit of money, but I'm still drawing from my own savings as well.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3552 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Holy cow time flies! I cant believe you've been here a year already. Fair winds and following seas.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3507 posts
Gets worse the older you get. Blink and you will have missed it.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9414 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Started the operation on my mother today. It started bleeding and would not stop. This needs to be immediately followed up with that she's "in no danger" at the moment. But they had to stop the operation and will check to see if the bleeding stopped tomorrow. They've got some balloon plugging the bleed. If it hasn't stopped by tomorrow, they'll cauterize it.

The situation is apparently something that doesn't happen often. The doctor knows it's a possibility, but has never seen it in his practice before.

So, it's all pretty terrifying.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3552 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hope all goes well. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users