Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cartoon/Anime/Comic settings you would like to see a rpg set in

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1380 posts
I never read the manga but I prefer the first anime, it had more character and sense of adventure, I enjoyed Brotherhood though, if only for the fight scenes, Fuhrer Bradley finally gets a chance to shine.

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3844 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Manga/Brotherhood for me. More interesting layers to the setting, IMO.

Both are usable though.

Edited by C2B, 17 April 2012 - 05:06 AM.

Orchomene

Orchomene

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The Black Moon Chronicles.
It's logical, the comics come from a DnD PnP campaign, after all.
Edit : the drawer has then done graphic designs for Homm5, but the comic books were before.

Edited by Orchomene, 17 April 2012 - 09:39 AM.

Sannom

Sannom

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1261 posts
  • Backer

I liked the Guyver series as a kid, I would probably give that a look for old times sake, would probably hate it now though. Rose tinted glasses and all that.

I remember it being far too gory for my young self, with some weird powers (the chest-beam is still weird to me to this day). I wonder how I would think of it today...

So we're clear, which FMA setting? The manga/second anime or the first anime? Similar but different in the end.

Manga and second anime for me, if only for the awesomeness that is King Bradley and the layers added to a few characters :biggrin: . I was a big fan of the few panels Basque Gran was in. Couldn't have made him more different that the first anime's version though.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6922 posts
  • Backer

Edit : the drawer has then done graphic designs for Homm5, but the comic books were before.

I think there was an MMO made around 2002?

Orchomene

Orchomene

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ma

Maybe. I'm not into MMO, so I really don't know.

Oner

Oner

• Members
  • 6922 posts
  • Backer

Ma

Maybe. I'm not into MMO, so I really don't know.

Yep, they did.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

1. I don't agree with him. The edo period (or a fictional version of it) is certainly a interesting background. It's a little more used than other settings but that doesn't make it bad.

2. It helps. And I want interesting charachters too. But interesting charachters don't have to be already established ones. A setting can give birth to really great charachters due to its quirks. This is especially evident in everything Avellone writes. TNO, Kreia, Dean, Elija, the think tank.

And again, I meant this thread to highlight interesting settings that rpg's can use as a background. From an economical perspective, from a thematic perspective or just general stuff. For example how *magic* works in said settings.

Again mentioning FMA and HxH here since both use a rather *interesting* system regarding it.

Ah, I think I understand. Some of this (for me) probably boils down the reason why we play games, again. Stuff like lore & politics perse doesn't mean much to me most of the time, but that's a different thing.

In terms of place/time settings, I would still like to see more RPG's that are in what you might call "real" settings, with perhaps alternative history changes (like FNV). I'd also like to see more cultures explored/used as the backdrop, hence Edo period. Kind of tired of the futuristic dark urban punk-city look, fantasy forest, etc. Asian, Roman, ancient European (non-medieval/castle) themed/influence settings I would enjoy seeing. You could still have magic and/or oddball stuff in them. There are plenty of magical/monster legends in Asian/other cultures, for example. I might even like something like "Asian culture on a Mars colony" setting. Especially if the RPG was more of a mystery than the save the world theme. Like...something similar to some of the Earth colonies from Asimov's Robot mystery novels (Elijah Bailey)...that sort of setting might be cool.

Anyway.... I don't watch enough anime or read enough comics to give a good list of specific examples I like from those sources, I'm afraid.

Edited by LadyCrimson, 17 April 2012 - 11:54 AM.

Zoma

Zoma

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1355 posts
3 settings I really love to see them materialized:

Cthulhu Mythos

Arkham_Horror_revised_box.jpg

I just recently got the digital version of the board game "Elder Signs: Omen". Despite the gameplay simply a direct translation of the board game itself, I can't help but feel there's a strong potential it could become a proper RPG games. The range of characters you can select to form a party of 4 investigators, each of them unique and appeared to have distinct personalities, in the game helped me to be immersed and feel attached to characters despite being in a blank slate. Imagine if Obsidian's talents is used to fill the slate. The atmosphere of the game is great, plus some time based mechanics also brings a sense of urgency to the gameplay.

Gameplay demo:

Boardgame wise:

Heavy Gear

51ZK87GT7EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
there already is a call of cthulhu rpg, it just hasn't been adapted into any video games as far as i know. its a great game though

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/1568821816

Amentep

Amentep

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2945 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth by Headfirst was based on the RPG CALL OF CTHULHU.

Headfirst were going to do two other games (BEYOND THE MOUNTAIN OF MADNESS and DESTINY'S END) but the company went belly-up (also taking the Deadlands game with them).

I'd love to see an RPG set in the DEADLANDS universe (Headfirst was making an action game as far as I could tell).

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
i thought that game was more of a first person shooter/adventure game and less of a turn based rpg?

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6479 posts
The game was only finished because of Bethesda. It was in development hell for quite a time.

Pity Bethesda didn't get behind the project much earlier or even bought Headfirst. Then we would have two more awesome Cthulhu games. A game based on Mountains of Madness would've been so good (the movie's been canceled too, btw).

Oner

Oner

• Members
  • 6922 posts
  • Backer
I wouldn't mind a Rainbow Six-like tactical shooer/simulator set in Appleseed, playing as E-SWAT.

Amentep

Amentep

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2945 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

i thought that game was more of a first person shooter/adventure game and less of a turn based rpg?

I'm sorry, I guess I was confused when you said "it just hasn't been adapted into any video games" as not being a specific reference to the setting being turned into a turn-based RPG. The game that was made was a survival horror game, not an RPG, but was based on the Call of Cthulhu RPG (including adapting the sanity system of the P&P game).

Cantousent

Cantousent

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4616 posts
  • Gold Backer
I think Obsidz, having been on the verge of releasing an Aliens game, would have had an easier time with Cthulu and, moreover, could have made a real franchise out of it. Alas, to paraphrase, there is no sadder phrase from mouth or pen than these four words "what might have been." At any rate, my thinking is a tad dimminished right now, but I think Bloodmoney would be a better setting that Rainbow Six. Awesome setting.

I really enjoyed that clunky ol' game, Dark Corners of the Earth. i can' remember who suggested it, maybe Wrath, but it was worth the money. Nevertheless, it wasn't an RPG and I'd buy an Obsidz Cthulu RPG sight unseen.

Serrano

Serrano

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 877 posts
I think the Venture Brothers setting would make a really great fit for a videogame.

Edited by Serrano, 20 April 2012 - 11:42 PM.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 684 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'd also like to add Darker than Black

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1380 posts
I watched the first season of Darker Than Black, I got some enjoyment but it suffered from the same problem that plagues most of the potentially great anime, it completely ****ing falls apart in the third act.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2296 posts
My completely selfish position is that the big O avoid any horror IPs - because I don't do that genre, and thus would hate to miss out on the anticipation of, and later the playing of, any such announced game. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users