Cartoon/Anime/Comic settings you would like to see a rpg set in

C2B

Oh....I did it again. :blush: My sig gets more apt every year.

I tried watching that anime once, because I heard such good things about it. It was a little too...youthful in execution for me, couldn't get into it. But yes, my point still stands. ;)

Well maybe the new one, The legend of Korra, might be more to your liking. It just started on April 14th with the first 2 episodes.

They remade Thundercats? How dare they!

yeah. It has some bright moments but it feels rushed most of the time.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

But chr. driven narratives are all there really are anymore. No setting is really original. It's the story and characters within that setting that give it spark. Game of Thrones would be just another medieval setting with kings and princes if it weren't for the characters and the fact the author likes to kill them off willy nilly, unlike most authors.

Avatar's setting isn't original. Far from it. Adding sci-fi space props and CGI humanistic aliens to such a setting does not make it original.

Oh, please. Please not the "original" argument. It's not what I'm talking about in the slightest.

As do charachters so can settings be well executed with (for example) political struggels, economies and larger themes. Not to mention lore. And Game of Thrones, apart from the charachters has a lot of that too. So, the point is kinda moot.

By your logic why would writers want to write something aside from the established charachters in a setting anyway if it apparently doesn't matter?

It does.

(Sorry, if I'm being rude :). It was just kinda my point to talk about settings which you can set interesting charachter driven narratives IN)

Edited by C2B

No, it's not rude per se, just an opinion, but I guess maybe it's a sore spot with you. :lol:

Of course settings can be important or influential to a work, I never said they weren't. In reality you often need both things (chrs. + environment) to work well together for it to be a success (imo). I find it rare that a lot of film/game/tv etc. work can stand alone entirely on just one or the other. But between Majek's "Champloo is just Edo period with rap" and your comment, it sounded as tho some kind of atypical variation (eg, "original") of the commonly known settings was taking a higher value place in terms of RPG, and I don't think that's true at all. Also, originally I was taking "setting" to mean more the actual setting - the period, the time, the place, the architecture and perhaps known social structure of said period that the story of the characters is woven through - not so much the story thematic setting (political struggle, moralistic struggle).

"Just another castle/serf setting." "Just another city in space setting....." "Just another dull historical period setting" and so on and so forth. While it's true there are some more common settings that may become mundane or whatever to some people, to others those settings are still not necessarily "easily replaceable" just because it's a common/not unusual setting.

Does everything have to be chock full of "lore", weird and unusual variations of a theme/setting, in order to be "not replaceable," interesting, or worthy of RPG? I'd much rather have interesting characters that I can relate to than a cool-looking setting, vs. the other way around. Guess that's just me tho?

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

But between Majek's "Champloo is just Edo period with rap" and your comment, it sounded as tho some kind of atypical variation (eg, "original") of the commonly known settings was taking a higher value place in terms of RPG, and I don't think that's true at all.

Does everything have to be chock full of "lore", weird and unusual variations of a theme/setting, in order to be "not replaceable," interesting, or worthy of RPG? I'd much rather have interesting characters that I can relate to than a cool-looking setting, vs. the other way around. Guess that's just me tho?

1. I don't agree with him. The edo period (or a fictional version of it) is certainly a interesting background. It's a little more used than other settings but that doesn't make it bad.

2. It helps. And I want interesting charachters too. But interesting charachters don't have to be already established ones. A setting can give birth to really great charachters due to its quirks. This is especially evident in everything Avellone writes. TNO, Kreia, Dean, Elija, the think tank.

And again, I meant this thread to highlight interesting settings that rpg's can use as a background. From an economical perspective, from a thematic perspective or just general stuff. For example how *magic* works in said settings.

Again mentioning FMA and HxH here since both use a rather *interesting* system regarding it.

Edited by C2B

i'll take an interesting setting over a unique one any day. and no those two concepts are not the same, though there is certainly some overlap in many cases

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

So you haven't seen any cartoons since the 80s

Correct.

Edit -

Thundercats(new one)

They remade Thundercats? How dare they!

I'm enjoying it. I tried watching the originals on Teletoon Retro, but Snarf and the preachyness ruin it for me. New one is a bit more Anime in feel, but the world is much better developed and the villains aren't bumbling jokes.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm enjoying it. I tried watching the originals on Teletoon Retro, but Snarf and the preachyness ruin it for me. New one is a bit more Anime in feel, but the world is much better developed and the villains aren't bumbling jokes.

No? What about the great and powerful Mumm-Ra ... oh wait, he's the biggest weakling of them all. >_<

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Ghost in the Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist and maybe Evangelion but god knows how anyone would make a traditional RPG out of it.

The FMA setting would work rather well, though.

Aye, I always thought the world was perfect for an adventure/RPG, it's full of well executed cliches and happens to look gorgeous, great characters too.

I liked the Guyver series as a kid, I would probably give that a look for old times sake, would probably hate it now though. Rose tinted glasses and all that.

I remember it being far too gory for my young self, with some weird powers (the chest-beam is still weird to me to this day). I wonder how I would think of it today...

So we're clear, which FMA setting? The manga/second anime or the first anime? Similar but different in the end.

Manga and second anime for me, if only for the awesomeness that is King Bradley and the layers added to a few characters :biggrin: . I was a big fan of the few panels Basque Gran was in. Couldn't have made him more different that the first anime's version though.

The Black Moon Chronicles.

It's logical, the comics come from a DnD PnP campaign, after all.

Edit : the drawer has then done graphic designs for Homm5, but the comic books were before.

I think there was an MMO made around 2002?

Ma

The Black Moon Chronicles.

It's logical, the comics come from a DnD PnP campaign, after all.

Edit : the drawer has then done graphic designs for Homm5, but the comic books were before.

I think there was an MMO made around 2002?

Maybe. I'm not into MMO, so I really don't know.

Yep, they did.

1. I don't agree with him. The edo period (or a fictional version of it) is certainly a interesting background. It's a little more used than other settings but that doesn't make it bad.

2. It helps. And I want interesting charachters too. But interesting charachters don't have to be already established ones. A setting can give birth to really great charachters due to its quirks. This is especially evident in everything Avellone writes. TNO, Kreia, Dean, Elija, the think tank.

And again, I meant this thread to highlight interesting settings that rpg's can use as a background. From an economical perspective, from a thematic perspective or just general stuff. For example how *magic* works in said settings.

Again mentioning FMA and HxH here since both use a rather *interesting* system regarding it.

Ah, I think I understand. Some of this (for me) probably boils down the reason why we play games, again. Stuff like lore & politics perse doesn't mean much to me most of the time, but that's a different thing.

In terms of place/time settings, I would still like to see more RPG's that are in what you might call "real" settings, with perhaps alternative history changes (like FNV). I'd also like to see more cultures explored/used as the backdrop, hence Edo period. Kind of tired of the futuristic dark urban punk-city look, fantasy forest, etc. Asian, Roman, ancient European (non-medieval/castle) themed/influence settings I would enjoy seeing. You could still have magic and/or oddball stuff in them. There are plenty of magical/monster legends in Asian/other cultures, for example. I might even like something like "Asian culture on a Mars colony" setting. Especially if the RPG was more of a mystery than the save the world theme. Like...something similar to some of the Earth colonies from Asimov's Robot mystery novels (Elijah Bailey)...that sort of setting might be cool.

Anyway.... I don't watch enough anime or read enough comics to give a good list of specific examples I like from those sources, I'm afraid.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

3 settings I really love to see them materialized:

Cthulhu Mythos

Arkham_Horror_revised_box.jpg

I just recently got the digital version of the board game "Elder Signs: Omen". Despite the gameplay simply a direct translation of the board game itself, I can't help but feel there's a strong potential it could become a proper RPG games. The range of characters you can select to form a party of 4 investigators, each of them unique and appeared to have distinct personalities, in the game helped me to be immersed and feel attached to characters despite being in a blank slate. Imagine if Obsidian's talents is used to fill the slate. The atmosphere of the game is great, plus some time based mechanics also brings a sense of urgency to the gameplay.

Gameplay demo:

Boardgame wise:

Heavy Gear

51ZK87GT7EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

there already is a call of cthulhu rpg, it just hasn't been adapted into any video games as far as i know. its a great game though

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Cthulhu-Roleplaying-Lovecraft-Edition/dp/1568821816

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth by Headfirst was based on the RPG CALL OF CTHULHU.

Headfirst were going to do two other games (BEYOND THE MOUNTAIN OF MADNESS and DESTINY'S END) but the company went belly-up (also taking the Deadlands game with them).

I'd love to see an RPG set in the DEADLANDS universe (Headfirst was making an action game as far as I could tell).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

i thought that game was more of a first person shooter/adventure game and less of a turn based rpg?

The game was only finished because of Bethesda. It was in development hell for quite a time.

Pity Bethesda didn't get behind the project much earlier or even bought Headfirst. Then we would have two more awesome Cthulhu games. A game based on Mountains of Madness would've been so good (the movie's been canceled too, btw).

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

i thought that game was more of a first person shooter/adventure game and less of a turn based rpg?

I'm sorry, I guess I was confused when you said "it just hasn't been adapted into any video games" as not being a specific reference to the setting being turned into a turn-based RPG. The game that was made was a survival horror game, not an RPG, but was based on the Call of Cthulhu RPG (including adapting the sanity system of the P&P game).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man