Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cartoon/Anime/Comic settings you would like to see a rpg set in

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

BUt Champloo is just Edo period with rap. It was a great anime but i haven't got the slightest idea why it'd make a good rpg.

Because the 3 main characters are so awesome. A game based on them doesn't have to follow the actual anime plot y'know...you could base a rpg around those characters that occurs soon after the events in the anime. Or something.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2495 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I do not see any cartoons making exceptionally good rpg's full of depth. Basically because by their nature cartoons and comics are fairly shallow. I could not choose a cartoon, as the last time I watched any was when I was a kid in the 80's, and I have no real desire to see Danger Mouse revisited.

So you haven't seen any cartoons since the 80s, but cartoons have no depth. Watch G.I. Joe Renegades, Young Justice, Justice League Unlimited, Ben 10, Thundercats(new one) etc. Modern Cartoons are made by people who grew up enjoying the ones of the 80s, but try to do it better.

Amentep

Amentep

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3173 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Thinking about it a bit, I'd love for an RPG game set in Imagawa's GIANT ROBO: THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL universe. Not entirely sure how it'd work, but I thought that was a great distillation of a sort of "everything and the kitchen sink" universe since it homages so much of Yokayama's career, not just Giant Robo and had a lot of fun ideas to play around with.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I do not see any cartoons making exceptionally good rpg's full of depth. Basically because by their nature cartoons and comics are fairly shallow. I could not choose a cartoon, as the last time I watched any was when I was a kid in the 80's, and I have no real desire to see Danger Mouse revisited.

So you haven't seen any cartoons since the 80s, but cartoons have no depth. Watch G.I. Joe Renegades, Young Justice, Justice League Unlimited, Ben 10, Thundercats(new one) etc. Modern Cartoons are made by people who grew up enjoying the ones of the 80s, but try to do it better.

Agree with Oerwinde. There are still plenty of "very young" cartoons, to be sure, but there are also plenty of more adult cartoons, anime, and comics. The Walking Dead, for example. Even Superman got the "dark and tormented" treatment a while back.
I haven't personally seen many of the modern day versions of my childhood cartoons (like GIJoe/Justice League etc) but...shrug...I figure if they have more adult themes now, that they're just as likely to have RPG potential as something like South Park. :disguise:

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3919 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The setting should be somewhat established though and important in the manga/comic/cartoon/anime itself. Charachter driven narratives are fine but as others said before if the setting itself is easily replacable its kinda missing the point of this thread.

Thats also why I thought FMA is a really good suggestion. Or Avatar too. Or HxH as I suggested.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The setting should be somewhat established though and important in the manga/comic/cartoon/anime itself. Charachter driven narratives are fine but as others said before if the setting itself is easily replacable its kinda missing the point of this thread.

Thats also why I thought FMA is a really good suggestion. Or Avatar too. Or HxH as I suggested.

But chr. driven narratives are all there really are anymore. No setting is really original. It's the story and characters within that setting that give it spark. Game of Thrones would be just another medieval setting with kings and princes if it weren't for the characters and the fact the author likes to kill them off willy nilly, unlike most authors.

Avatar's setting isn't original. Far from it. Adding sci-fi space props and CGI humanistic aliens to such a setting does not make it original.

Edited by LadyCrimson, 16 April 2012 - 11:19 AM.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6720 posts
One of the cartoons of my youth had a very thinly veiled allegory to Third Reich and German occupation.

Posted Image

Nowadays, in our politically correct society stuff like this would never be able to pass.

Sannom

Sannom

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1267 posts
  • Backer

Avatar's setting isn't original. Far from it. Adding sci-fi space props and CGI humanistic aliens to such a setting does not make it original.

Avatar : The Last Airbender, the cartoon series, not the Cameron movie :no: Your point still stands, obviously, but this is a confusion that should always be corrected :biggrin: .

In a FMA setting, I want to play an Armstrong spawn with a bonus in every skill there is but with a big narcissistic malus of some sort :w00t: A subset with the characteristic 'huge' would be appreciated. And of course, the obligatory two names.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Avatar : The Last Airbender, the cartoon series, not the Cameron movie :no: Your point still stands, obviously, but this is a confusion that should always be corrected :biggrin: .

Oh....I did it again. :blush: My sig gets more apt every year.
I tried watching that anime once, because I heard such good things about it. It was a little too...youthful in execution for me, couldn't get into it. But yes, my point still stands. ;)

Aedelric

Aedelric

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 473 posts

So you haven't seen any cartoons since the 80s

Correct.

Edit -

Thundercats(new one)

They remade Thundercats? How dare they!

Edited by Aedelric, 16 April 2012 - 11:54 AM.

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2169 posts
  • Silver Backer

Oh....I did it again. :blush: My sig gets more apt every year.
I tried watching that anime once, because I heard such good things about it. It was a little too...youthful in execution for me, couldn't get into it. But yes, my point still stands. ;)

Well maybe the new one, The legend of Korra, might be more to your liking. It just started on April 14th with the first 2 episodes.

yeah. It has some bright moments but it feels rushed most of the time.

C2B

C2B

• Members
  • 3919 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

But chr. driven narratives are all there really are anymore. No setting is really original. It's the story and characters within that setting that give it spark. Game of Thrones would be just another medieval setting with kings and princes if it weren't for the characters and the fact the author likes to kill them off willy nilly, unlike most authors.

Oh, please. Please not the "original" argument. It's not what I'm talking about in the slightest.

As do charachters so can settings be well executed with (for example) political struggels, economies and larger themes. Not to mention lore. And Game of Thrones, apart from the charachters has a lot of that too. So, the point is kinda moot.

By your logic why would writers want to write something aside from the established charachters in a setting anyway if it apparently doesn't matter?

It does.

(Sorry, if I'm being rude :). It was just kinda my point to talk about settings which you can set interesting charachter driven narratives IN)

Edited by C2B, 16 April 2012 - 12:24 PM.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
No, it's not rude per se, just an opinion, but I guess maybe it's a sore spot with you. :lol:

Of course settings can be important or influential to a work, I never said they weren't. In reality you often need both things (chrs. + environment) to work well together for it to be a success (imo). I find it rare that a lot of film/game/tv etc. work can stand alone entirely on just one or the other. But between Majek's "Champloo is just Edo period with rap" and your comment, it sounded as tho some kind of atypical variation (eg, "original") of the commonly known settings was taking a higher value place in terms of RPG, and I don't think that's true at all. Also, originally I was taking "setting" to mean more the actual setting - the period, the time, the place, the architecture and perhaps known social structure of said period that the story of the characters is woven through - not so much the story thematic setting (political struggle, moralistic struggle).

"Just another castle/serf setting." "Just another city in space setting....." "Just another dull historical period setting" and so on and so forth. While it's true there are some more common settings that may become mundane or whatever to some people, to others those settings are still not necessarily "easily replaceable" just because it's a common/not unusual setting.

Does everything have to be chock full of "lore", weird and unusual variations of a theme/setting, in order to be "not replaceable," interesting, or worthy of RPG? I'd much rather have interesting characters that I can relate to than a cool-looking setting, vs. the other way around. Guess that's just me tho?

Edited by LadyCrimson, 16 April 2012 - 01:30 PM.

C2B

C2B

• Members
  • 3919 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

But between Majek's "Champloo is just Edo period with rap" and your comment, it sounded as tho some kind of atypical variation (eg, "original") of the commonly known settings was taking a higher value place in terms of RPG, and I don't think that's true at all.

Does everything have to be chock full of "lore", weird and unusual variations of a theme/setting, in order to be "not replaceable," interesting, or worthy of RPG? I'd much rather have interesting characters that I can relate to than a cool-looking setting, vs. the other way around. Guess that's just me tho?

1. I don't agree with him. The edo period (or a fictional version of it) is certainly a interesting background. It's a little more used than other settings but that doesn't make it bad.

2. It helps. And I want interesting charachters too. But interesting charachters don't have to be already established ones. A setting can give birth to really great charachters due to its quirks. This is especially evident in everything Avellone writes. TNO, Kreia, Dean, Elija, the think tank.

And again, I meant this thread to highlight interesting settings that rpg's can use as a background. From an economical perspective, from a thematic perspective or just general stuff. For example how *magic* works in said settings.

Again mentioning FMA and HxH here since both use a rather *interesting* system regarding it.

Edited by C2B, 16 April 2012 - 02:42 PM.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
i'll take an interesting setting over a unique one any day. and no those two concepts are not the same, though there is certainly some overlap in many cases
  • Oerwinde likes this

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2495 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

So you haven't seen any cartoons since the 80s

Correct.

Edit -

Thundercats(new one)

I'm enjoying it. I tried watching the originals on Teletoon Retro, but Snarf and the preachyness ruin it for me. New one is a bit more Anime in feel, but the world is much better developed and the villains aren't bumbling jokes.

Majek

Majek

• Members
  • 2169 posts
  • Silver Backer

I'm enjoying it. I tried watching the originals on Teletoon Retro, but Snarf and the preachyness ruin it for me. New one is a bit more Anime in feel, but the world is much better developed and the villains aren't bumbling jokes.

No? What about the great and powerful Mumm-Ra ... oh wait, he's the biggest weakling of them all. >_<

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1391 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ghost in the Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist and maybe Evangelion but god knows how anyone would make a traditional RPG out of it.

The FMA setting would work rather well, though.

Aye, I always thought the world was perfect for an adventure/RPG, it's full of well executed cliches and happens to look gorgeous, great characters too.

Bos_hybrid

Bos_hybrid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2118 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I liked the Guyver series as a kid, I would probably give that a look for old times sake, would probably hate it now though. Rose tinted glasses and all that.

Can't even remember if the setting would even make a good rpg.

Majek

Majek

• Members
  • 2169 posts
  • Silver Backer
So we're clear, which FMA setting? The manga/second anime or the first anime? Similar but different in the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users