Cartoon/Anime/Comic settings you would like to see a rpg set in

C2B

We discussed this already previous to the South Park reveal, but I think its a interesting topic to discuss. Archer for example is frequently mentioned as a perfect setting for a "spiritual" Alpha Protocol sequel.

So, what's your favourite?

I actually can't remember what Archer was, but I'll be a sourpuss and say make their own settings, there's nothing so super-wonderful out there unless it's something like D&D where you by and large make your own stories and settings for the game.

Not to mention, I don't mind anime and cartoon styles, but they'd be pretty silly to look at in games.

Green Lantern or Thundercats. The new Thundercats setting is perfect. Magic and technology, and several races to choose from. GL would just be fun to build your own GL. Do a character creation system where you build your race using custom powers and drawbacks. Since your powerset and costume will largely be the same as a GL.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

HunterxHunter

Because of its moral ambiguity, its crazy balance of power (Probably also influenced by my desire to play an rpg with combat scenarios where the goal is to just *somehow* survive) and its general bleakness.

Also I still love stuff like Meteor City being the ****hole/dumping ground of the world while in turn a place that is completly off the grid too.

I wonder if you could do a spiritual sequel to Alpha Protocol with the setting of XIII.

A RPG in the De Capes et de Crocs universe could have some potential : travels to a fantasy moon where honor matters are settled in poetry contexts, anthropomorphic animals of all kind, sentient rocks and pebbles, inspiration from La Fontaine, Moliere, Cyrano de Bergerac, and a ton of strange things and characters. Plus I heard there is an actual RPG source book that could be created for the setting.

As far as cartoons go, the Last Airbender universe is an obvious candidate.

Anime... hum I wonder how a Fullmetal Alchemist RPG would turn out? It does have a rather wide range of characters and possibilities for character archetypes, but I'm somewhat unconvinced.

The world of Naruto would be a more natural choice, plenty of things to use for the building of characters, a rather big world with political struggles, etc. The author himself doesn't use it very well in my opinion, but it could be salvaged by another team!

I don't know if there are any Tintin games, but I think they would probably be more like Adventure games. RPG of a comic seems a bit odd as it would be akin to playing Shepard in ME, somehow. The character is just too fixed in his ways already and with full voice over it's just a bit too hard to imagine it differently.. I also mean that if a developer was going to make the transistion the publisher would be all over them to ensure the integrity of their IP. Well, maybe, except for Donald Duck who aspire to be everything else than a poor unlucky loser.. There once was a danish cow-punk band called "Disneyland After Dark", until they had to change it for some reason, but I think it would be fun to see a RPG set in that setting.. Duck Zombies.. Hmmmmnah. Maybe not.

(Signatures: disabled) 

Bravestarr. :D

SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron

Pirates of dark water ( so it could finally end properly :D)

as for comics

Zagor

Il grande Blek

Comandante Mark

:)

Manga though hmmm. Vinland saga, Berserk and the like have settings that are quite common in RPGs, others just wouldn't work.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Darkwing Duck RPG.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How about a Chtulu CRPG that doesn't suck? I would also like to see a Paranoia CRPG. I know pulling off a real comedy RPG could be tough, but it would be fun. I wouldn't mind seeing something like American McGee's Alice done RPG style. I always loved Under Dog and Super Chicken, but that could tough to license and write. An original concept would be nice, too. How about a Frasier CRPG? I think it would be crazy hard to do, but can you imagine if they managed to pull off the humor? A good sit-com CRPG would go a long way towards broadening gamer demographics.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Ghost in the Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist and maybe Evangelion but god knows how anyone would make a traditional RPG out of it.

The FMA setting would work rather well, though.

Edited by C2B

Green Lantern or Thundercats. The new Thundercats setting is perfect. Magic and technology, and several races to choose from. GL would just be fun to build your own GL. Do a character creation system where you build your race using custom powers and drawbacks. Since your powerset and costume will largely be the same as a GL.
Issue with GL is the fact that the rings would be somewhat limited.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I don't know much Anime. Saw 'Akira' once and didn't "get it"...

South Park is a WIP, so we can leave that one out too.

As for Comics, I would love some older stuff, like Conan or Richard Corbens 'Den' setting. Maybe 'Blueberry' for those into all things Western and M

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Issue with GL is the fact that the rings would be somewhat limited.

Yeah, would take some creative design work to come up with powers and such for it. New attacks and powers would be ideal DLC for a game like that.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think I would like to see a continuation of the X-men games by RavenSoft.Why? because I enjoyed them and every Anime,Comic,Manga already mentioned has crappy games already made about them. Specially Ghost in the Shell.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I think I would like to see a continuation of the X-men games by RavenSoft.Why? because I enjoyed them and every Anime,Comic,Manga already mentioned has crappy games already made about them. Specially Ghost in the Shell.

The only one mentioned in my list that has a game at all is Conan (a crappy mmo) :(

Oh, forgot to add one of my all time favourites, Francois Bourgeon's 'The Cyann Saga' :sorcerer:

None of those on my lists is likely to get anything but an 'M' rating though :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Black Company and/or Instrumentalities of the Night as a book setting would be fun.

Another interesting one to do would be Nova, the Marvel Comics hero.

And maybe a western dev making a Gundam styled wargame (with my avatar, I had to).

A good throw at the Animated DC universe would probably make for a good game.

Finally, Give S-cry-ed a shot. The entire set up seems built towards a video game..

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.