Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cartoon/Anime/Comic settings you would like to see a rpg set in

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3973 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
We discussed this already previous to the South Park reveal, but I think its a interesting topic to discuss. Archer for example is frequently mentioned as a perfect setting for a "spiritual" Alpha Protocol sequel.

So, what's your favourite?

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8744 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I actually can't remember what Archer was, but I'll be a sourpuss and say make their own settings, there's nothing so super-wonderful out there unless it's something like D&D where you by and large make your own stories and settings for the game.

Not to mention, I don't mind anime and cartoon styles, but they'd be pretty silly to look at in games.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2820 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'd love to see a new Cowboy Bebop game.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5612 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Not to mention, I don't mind anime and cartoon styles, but they'd be pretty silly to look at in games.

Ehr.. why?

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 868 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy, Gantz (only half kidding) and of course TMNT :p

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2513 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Green Lantern or Thundercats. The new Thundercats setting is perfect. Magic and technology, and several races to choose from. GL would just be fun to build your own GL. Do a character creation system where you build your race using custom powers and drawbacks. Since your powerset and costume will largely be the same as a GL.

C2B

C2B

• Members
  • 3973 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
HunterxHunter

Because of its moral ambiguity, its crazy balance of power (Probably also influenced by my desire to play an rpg with combat scenarios where the goal is to just *somehow* survive) and its general bleakness.

Also I still love stuff like Meteor City being the ****hole/dumping ground of the world while in turn a place that is completly off the grid too.

Sannom

Sannom

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1267 posts
  • Backer
I wonder if you could do a spiritual sequel to Alpha Protocol with the setting of XIII.

A RPG in the De Capes et de Crocs universe could have some potential : travels to a fantasy moon where honor matters are settled in poetry contexts, anthropomorphic animals of all kind, sentient rocks and pebbles, inspiration from La Fontaine, Moliere, Cyrano de Bergerac, and a ton of strange things and characters. Plus I heard there is an actual RPG source book that could be created for the setting.

As far as cartoons go, the Last Airbender universe is an obvious candidate.

Anime... hum I wonder how a Fullmetal Alchemist RPG would turn out? It does have a rather wide range of characters and possibilities for character archetypes, but I'm somewhat unconvinced.

The world of Naruto would be a more natural choice, plenty of things to use for the building of characters, a rather big world with political struggles, etc. The author himself doesn't use it very well in my opinion, but it could be salvaged by another team!

Janmanden

Janmanden

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 718 posts
I don't know if there are any Tintin games, but I think they would probably be more like Adventure games. RPG of a comic seems a bit odd as it would be akin to playing Shepard in ME, somehow. The character is just too fixed in his ways already and with full voice over it's just a bit too hard to imagine it differently.. I also mean that if a developer was going to make the transistion the publisher would be all over them to ensure the integrity of their IP. Well, maybe, except for Donald Duck who aspire to be everything else than a poor unlucky loser.. There once was a danish cow-punk band called "Disneyland After Dark", until they had to change it for some reason, but I think it would be fun to see a RPG set in that setting.. Duck Zombies.. Hmmmmnah. Maybe not.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1393 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Last Airbender universe for sure.

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2191 posts
  • Silver Backer
Bravestarr. :D
SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron
Pirates of dark water ( so it could finally end properly :D)

as for comics
Zagor
Il grande Blek
Comandante Mark

:)

Manga though hmmm. Vinland saga, Berserk and the like have settings that are quite common in RPGs, others just wouldn't work.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5259 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Darkwing Duck RPG.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4622 posts
  • Gold Backer
How about a Chtulu CRPG that doesn't suck? I would also like to see a Paranoia CRPG. I know pulling off a real comedy RPG could be tough, but it would be fun. I wouldn't mind seeing something like American McGee's Alice done RPG style. I always loved Under Dog and Super Chicken, but that could tough to license and write. An original concept would be nice, too. How about a Frasier CRPG? I think it would be crazy hard to do, but can you imagine if they managed to pull off the humor? A good sit-com CRPG would go a long way towards broadening gamer demographics.
  • Zoma likes this

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2820 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I forgot to mention Dexter's Laboratory. I still watch it in youtube sometimes.

Make it a puzzle or adventure game.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2084 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion :p

SubBassman

SubBassman

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 103 posts
http://www.kickstart...-universe-again

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6806 posts
Anything in Sigilverse.

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1392 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ghost in the Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist and maybe Evangelion but god knows how anyone would make a traditional RPG out of it.

C2B

C2B

• Members
  • 3973 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ghost in the Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist and maybe Evangelion but god knows how anyone would make a traditional RPG out of it.

The FMA setting would work rather well, though.

Edited by C2B, 15 April 2012 - 05:04 PM.

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8213 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Green Lantern or Thundercats. The new Thundercats setting is perfect. Magic and technology, and several races to choose from. GL would just be fun to build your own GL. Do a character creation system where you build your race using custom powers and drawbacks. Since your powerset and costume will largely be the same as a GL.

Issue with GL is the fact that the rings would be somewhat limited.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users