RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Crysis was a generic mess, Crysis 2 was not.

Crysis was a sandbox generic mess, Crysis 2 was a linear arcade shooter....and not.

What's an arcade shooter? Aren't these things extinct a long time ago, except in Japan?

Are you talking about sidescroller shooter? Maybe you should first learn to differentiate between the subgenres before using wrong terminology. Shooter is not just shooter.

Edited by Morgoth

You still haven't said why.

Like I owe you an answer. Go play it yourself, if possible, past the tutorial area? Then come back and apologize how right I was.

I didn't played it (because I don't want to spend money on a game that might be ****ty FPS) and you don't want to tell my why it is better than any other FPS. Guess I will never find out then.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

You still haven't said why.

Like I owe you an answer. Go play it yourself, if possible, past the tutorial area? Then come back and apologize how right I was.

I didn't played it (because I don't want to spend money on a game that might be ****ty FPS) and you don't want to tell my why it is better than any other FPS. Guess I will never find out then.

What's there to tell? Some experiences aren't to be told. You have to play it. Besides, it's very cheap at this point.

What I liked on the top of my head? Very thorough setting and believable level design, above average AI, very good punch and physicality to the combat, fantastic soundtrack, very diverse places to visit, overall very well paced. The whole thing just feels "right".

Yeah sorry I didn't summon some voodoo numbers out of my hat, this has to suffice for starters.

Edited by Morgoth

i didn't really like crysis, so i never bothered with the sequel.

dragons dogma demo debut dated and looks delightful

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1223067p1.html

other than some animations looking a bit stiffer than others (which is pretty forgivable given the sheer volume of animations that appear to be in the game from these videos) this game LOOKS fantastic. I just hope it has solid rpg mechanics (has there been any information given out about the mechanics of the game?) and a fun to explore world

seems like all the preview information is just showing a lot of combat and monster variety (which are great, i just want info on the other parts of the game)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Looking forward to Dragon's Dogma myself; I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Dragon's Dogma has the ability to set yourself on fire, then jump on the enemy's back. There's no way for me to not be excited.

• Like 4
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Crysis, apart from the graphics, had costumizable weapons (new thing at the time), good AI (for the humans, though Warhead fixed it for the aliens), a sandbox map instead of corridors, the nanosuit to spice things up (voiced by Norio Wakamoto in the jap version to boot!) and the controls/shooting were quite good.

crysis just wasn't that fun to play. it had lots of good bits, but when put together you ended up with a somewhat bland paste instead of a zesty stew

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Crysis series is not "another ****ty" FPS.

We've got a name for it in Russia - a Y.O.B.A. game, meaning "youth oriented, bydlo approved". Bydlo is a Russian analogue for British chav, well maybe a little broader, but you get the meaning. Crysis is usually given as the most shining example of a YOBA game - a soulless title for a casual half-retarded console player, disguised and sold as a "game". I'm only saying this because you think crysis is something else entirely, while it's only 100% yoba.

Edited by Delfosse

how the hell was crysis a youth oriented game? it was unplayable on anything but a very high end pc when it was released... did a lot of russian youths have incredibly expensive computers in 2007?

Edited by entrerix

how the hell was crysis a youth oriented game? it was unplayable on anything but a very high end pc when it was released... did a lot of russian youths have incredibly expensive computers in 2007?

1- Consoles.

2- What's incredibly expensive? A high end spec has always been around 1k bucks. "Mom I need a new PC for school, this one doesn't do the job anymore!"

• Like 1

Console version of Crysis was released only last year.

Then again, maybe those Russian hacker whizkids ported it already four years in advance.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

My bad. Anyway I remember launching it with my ****ty PC (I think I had Geforce 5800 FX at the time), it worked with minimal graphics and showed between 20 and 40 fps, which is playable. I don't know where this myth is coming from, but Crysis worked on most machines.

being playable at 30 fps on low settings is a pretty Far Cry (tee hee) from what people are talking about when discussing why crysis was a landmark pc game.

i still thought it was a pretty weak game from a "fun" standpoint, but technically it was very very impressive, and not at all youth oriented (which to me would be something like halo, which was marketed from the beginning to kids wanting to play consoles online)

i didnt know crysis was ever even released on consoles, but i guess 5 years later is better than never? (then again, why would anyone want to play crysis on console when the whole point of the game was its technical aspects...)

Edited by entrerix

Hah, sorry, but any FPS is for youth (13-18) and kids (8-13) at the same time. It's just how it works. They're all gonna try it. The old doom and quake weren't youth oriented, they were dark, adult hardcore games, because that's how the market was at the time. Amnesia isn't youth oriented, but the rest is. Anything that isn't exclusively "adult" is automatically youth oriented. And there aren't any "adult only" titles nowadays. Even that **** ID makes, that new "Rage" game, it's supposed to be rated "16+", but in reality it's completely yoba. I had no fun playing it, but 13-16 kids played the **** out of it, it was like a new Crysis for them.

Well, I admit, maybe in USA it's different (or not? I dunno), but I've lived in Europe and Russia for a long time, that's how things are in here.

Edited by Delfosse

The old doom and quake weren't youth oriented, they were dark, adult hardcore games, because that's how the market was at the time.

There was nothing adult or mature in Doom/Quake that would not be found in Doom3/Quake4.

Games have always been aimed at youth as they are by far the largest audience.

yeah, what you (delfosse) are describing sounds totally insane to me, in california the teenagers play xbox only. nothing on pc.

Edited by entrerix

in california the teenagers play xbox only. nothing on pc.

Jeez, what a backwater :biggrin:

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

kids around here are pretty retarded. any game more complicated than call of duty is considered "lame". iphone gaming is considered a valid interest. facebook is better than actually spending time with friends.

avatar was considered "the best movie ever" by several teenagers i ran across a about a year ago

edit: true story: three 13 year old boys told me that fallout new vegas was "lame" and "for old people" when they were explaining why it was not as good as call of duty blackops

Edited by entrerix