Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
604 replies to this topic

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Crysis was a generic mess, Crysis 2 was not.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1726 posts
Whatever, it was as stale as the rest of the Space Marine shooters we've been playing these last years.

If that is the best "next gen" gaming that I'm supposed to buy a new graphics card for I think I'll just stick to laughing at people who do.
  • Mamoulian War likes this

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Space Marine shooter? You mean Military shooter. Especially the annualised ones (Battlefield, MoH, CoD), those are the ones who are poison to the FPS genre. Yes, including RAGE from our "beloved" Doom and Quake creators. It's all garbage.

Only worthwhile FPS creators out there these days are Valve, Crytek, and Irrational.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1803 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You still haven't said why.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2677 posts

Crysis was a sandbox generic mess, Crysis 2 was a linear arcade shooter....and not.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Like I owe you an answer. Go play it yourself, if possible, past the tutorial area? Then come back and apologize how right I was.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Crysis was a sandbox generic mess, Crysis 2 was a linear arcade shooter....and not.

What's an arcade shooter? Aren't these things extinct a long time ago, except in Japan?

Are you talking about sidescroller shooter? Maybe you should first learn to differentiate between the subgenres before using wrong terminology. Shooter is not just shooter.

Edited by Morgoth, 16 April 2012 - 06:55 AM.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1803 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Like I owe you an answer. Go play it yourself, if possible, past the tutorial area? Then come back and apologize how right I was.

I didn't played it (because I don't want to spend money on a game that might be ****ty FPS) and you don't want to tell my why it is better than any other FPS. Guess I will never find out then.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I didn't played it (because I don't want to spend money on a game that might be ****ty FPS) and you don't want to tell my why it is better than any other FPS. Guess I will never find out then.

What's there to tell? Some experiences aren't to be told. You have to play it. Besides, it's very cheap at this point.

What I liked on the top of my head? Very thorough setting and believable level design, above average AI, very good punch and physicality to the combat, fantastic soundtrack, very diverse places to visit, overall very well paced. The whole thing just feels "right".

Yeah sorry I didn't summon some voodoo numbers out of my hat, this has to suffice for starters.

Edited by Morgoth, 16 April 2012 - 06:55 AM.

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts
One slight differential, I thought Crysis was actually quite fun.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6922 posts
  • Backer
Me too.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
i didn't really like crysis, so i never bothered with the sequel.

dragons dogma demo debut dated and looks delightful
http://xbox360.ign.c.../1223067p1.html

other than some animations looking a bit stiffer than others (which is pretty forgivable given the sheer volume of animations that appear to be in the game from these videos) this game LOOKS fantastic. I just hope it has solid rpg mechanics (has there been any information given out about the mechanics of the game?) and a fun to explore world

seems like all the preview information is just showing a lot of combat and monster variety (which are great, i just want info on the other parts of the game)

Aedelric

Aedelric

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 473 posts
Crysis never really appealed to me, the whole franchise seemed to rely on the `ground breaking ´graphics.

Dragon's Dogma does look nice, unfortunately not for PC though. :(

Amentep

Amentep

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2923 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Looking forward to Dragon's Dogma myself; I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4360 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
http://www.edge-onli...-over-500-staff (EA to lay off 500 staff)

Edited by Nepenthe, 16 April 2012 - 08:59 AM.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9374 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Dragon's Dogma has the ability to set yourself on fire, then jump on the enemy's back. There's no way for me to not be excited.
  • tripleRRR, Mamoulian War, entrerix and 1 other like this

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6922 posts
  • Backer
Crysis, apart from the graphics, had costumizable weapons (new thing at the time), good AI (for the humans, though Warhead fixed it for the aliens), a sandbox map instead of corridors, the nanosuit to spice things up (voiced by Norio Wakamoto in the jap version to boot!) and the controls/shooting were quite good.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
crysis just wasn't that fun to play. it had lots of good bits, but when put together you ended up with a somewhat bland paste instead of a zesty stew

Edited by entrerix, 16 April 2012 - 09:23 AM.

Delfosse

Delfosse

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 170 posts

Crysis series is not "another ****ty" FPS.

We've got a name for it in Russia - a Y.O.B.A. game, meaning "youth oriented, bydlo approved". Bydlo is a Russian analogue for British chav, well maybe a little broader, but you get the meaning. Crysis is usually given as the most shining example of a YOBA game - a soulless title for a casual half-retarded console player, disguised and sold as a "game". I'm only saying this because you think crysis is something else entirely, while it's only 100% yoba.

Edited by Delfosse, 16 April 2012 - 10:11 AM.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
how the hell was crysis a youth oriented game? it was unplayable on anything but a very high end pc when it was released... did a lot of russian youths have incredibly expensive computers in 2007?

Edited by entrerix, 16 April 2012 - 10:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users