Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fallout game on here, maybe?

Fallout roleplaying

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5626 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Just had a thought: Fallout has a pen and paper game equivalent, right?

How about we do a game on here while we're killing time waiting for our next post-apocalypse fix?

I've got quite a neat starting premise, but I reckon we will need a total of three referees/GMs to keep the pace up. We have to agree on general themes and storyline, but get to run our own casts of villains and mini-arcs within the bigger game.

Overall I see the theme as having a little humour, and not a little on lampooning fantasy cliches in an apocalypse setting. Mechanically we could agree to run the game on a chat channel like Steam but obviously we'd want to post the highlights on here.

Anyone interested?

Again, that's two to four players, and three refs.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5627 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I've been tossing around ideas for a Fallout PnP campaign for a loooong while, but tbh, I usually just play with my circle of friends and have never done a campaign on the internet so I don't know if I'd like to start DMing immediately. Assuming the rhythm is not too frantic, count me in as interested as a player though.
  • Walsingham likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm in to play.
  • Walsingham likes this

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7018 posts
  • Backer
Another player willing and able! ,o/
  • Walsingham likes this

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4581 posts
  • Backer
We tried running a V:tM campaign over IRC, which Ender graciously offered to GM. We used IRC because it was cheap, unobtrusive and offered inbuilt die support in the form of bots. Only lasted for a few sessions mostly due to trouble getting people from different timezones to agree on (relatively) reasonable schedules, and Ender ended up burning out. It was pretty damn awesome, while it lasted. The thread with the session transcripts should be around here somewhere.

If you can get over the organizational problems, you'll be on for some nice roleplaying with peeps here.

Edited by 213374U, 08 April 2012 - 03:15 AM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah, I think GMs did too much work up front fleshing out a lot of different things. I think we should keep it simple until it gets off the ground. Wals, I don't see you getting 3 GMs from here alone..

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5626 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Copy that. :) Maybe set it on the back burner for now. But if we can get enough GMs then we kick start.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5627 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm not sure why you want so many GMs?

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5626 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm not sure why you want so many GMs?

To keep play moving, and also because it's my long-standing conviction that you need a plot GM and an NPC GM.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5627 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Fair enough, but it seems a bit overkill to me considering we won't be many players Wals. If your idea is too big to handle it alone, have you considered scaling it back? It would also offer a good test bed for the concept in case you intend to re-use it, show you what was wrong with it, how we react, etc.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5626 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm guessing two may be needed in case one of us gets ill or what have you. Good way to avoid losing momentum.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5627 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Truth is, I really doubt we'll have momentum unless we run rule-lite quickie sessions, because most of us are in different time zones and because of work/life.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Do it, Wals! We can have short weekly sessions or something.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5627 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
As long as I can play a ghoul conman or a paranoid survivalist I'm in.

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4016 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aqua Regis
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Fwiw, I would recommend not relying on IRC. It works smashingly for some things (combat, etc) but it amplifies the problems that PnP has when you're actually doing it in the real world - namely, needing to have everyone together at once. Most PnP games die before they're completed, that is the rule, it's just a fact of life. But if you're setting a time when people MUST be available, your game will die before it gets fun.

Not to toot my own horn, but I've been running a Van Buren(ish) PbP game (or "Play by Post", on a message board) for awhile. PbP is easier to organize (and soooooooooo much better for record-keeping) but it is slow as hell - The Prologue in Tibbets was basically 4 months of playtime. But if you have a solid cast of regulars on a forum such as this one, and a lot of patience, it can work.

Edited by Pop, 15 April 2012 - 08:13 PM.

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4016 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Also if you guys were planning on a VB run, you might want to wait a few weeks / months, there should be a blog post coming down the pipe on this very site that could illuminate some things ;)

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4016 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
As an addendum, if you're going PbP, try using http://www.rptools.net/ and http://rolz.org/, both of which are free, the former of which allows for fairly sophisticated tactical combat, at least with the right GM initiative. I know people who run X-Com games on it. For my game I just use it as a basic grid / token system for basic combat. Basic.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You're right about the logistics, but I would also enjoy the copresence, virtual as it is - especially since I have little experience with P&P and would feel more comfortable going with the flow in real time. Whatever happens, though, is good!

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4016 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'd say PbP is much easier on folks if they're not so much into improvising. They can get much more "in-character" when they have time to plan out their posts and actions. You can round robin it (take turns, basically) but that rarely ever keeps for long.

And really, with time zone differences, there are few good choices beyond it.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5627 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
So Wals? I'd offer to GM but we'd be 2 GMs and 2 players which seems frankly incredibly excessive to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users