Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Future of the Dragon Age franchise

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4024 posts
  • Gold Backer

Don't hold your breath. If ending DLC is released it will be because Bio has been scrambling the past couple weeks to throw something together with the most popular fan theory rather than something that was planned out in advance.

Even that would be better than leave it like it is though.

If they actually had something like this in the works the PR machine would be tripping over itself to reassure people to just hold on rather than the current focus of "We're listening to your complaints and we're collecting feedback".

For some reason I feel like they WANT people to go all hurr durr about the ending. And then drop the bomb later.

But who knows, let's see what happens.

I agree on your first point.

As for the second, you're half right. They want LOTS OF SPECULATION about the ending. I don't think they thought about the second portion.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3550 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
How would shipping the "real" ending several weeks after the game was released be a smart move? The people that post on forums are a small percentage of the people who purchased the game, so the vast majority of people who purchased the game would have no idea of this and just feel burned.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5203 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
http://blog.bioware....012/03/21/4108/

To Mass Effect 3 players, from Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder of BioWare

As co-founder and GM of BioWare, Im very proud of the ME3 team; I personally believe Mass Effect 3 is the best work weve yet created. So, its incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the games endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.

I believe passionately that games are an art form, and that the power of our medium flows from our audience, who are deeply involved in how the story unfolds, and who have the uncontested right to provide constructive criticism. At the same time, I also believe in and support the artistic choices made by the development team. The team and I have been thinking hard about how to best address the comments on ME3s endings from players, while still maintaining the artistic integrity of the game.

Mass Effect 3 concludes a trilogy with so much player control and ownership of the story that it was hard for us to predict the range of emotions players would feel when they finished playing through it. The journey you undertake in Mass Effect provokes an intense range of highly personal emotions in the player; even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that has genuinely surprised us. This is an issue we care about deeply, and we will respond to it in a fair and timely way. Were already working hard to do that.

To that end, since the game launched, the team has been poring over everything they can find about reactions to the game industry press, forums, Facebook, and Twitter, just to name a few. The Mass Effect team, like other teams across the BioWare Label within EA, consists of passionate people who work hard for the love of creating experiences that excite and delight our fans. Im honored to work with them because they have the courage and strength to respond to constructive feedback.

Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. Youll hear more on this in April. Were working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback weve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

The reaction to the release of Mass Effect 3 has been unprecedented. On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and were planning to directly address it. However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s. Net, Im proud of the team, but we can and must always strive to do better.

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary.

If you are a Mass Effect fan and have input for the team we respect your opinion and want to hear it. Were committed to address your constructive feedback as best we can. In return, Id ask that you help us do that by supporting what I truly believe is the best game BioWare has yet crafted. I urge you to do your own research: play the game, finish it and tell us what you think. Tell your friends if you feel its a good game as a whole. Trust that we are doing our damndest, as always, to address your feedback. As artists, we care about our fans deeply and we appreciate your support.

Thank you for your feedback we are listening.
Ray

Edited by Malcador, 21 March 2012 - 07:14 AM.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2566 posts
It'd be like the little post-credit scene in certain movies that plays when everyone except the janitor has left, only worse.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4493 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

How would shipping the "real" ending several weeks after the game was released be a smart move? The people that post on forums are a small percentage of the people who purchased the game, so the vast majority of people who purchased the game would have no idea of this and just feel burned.

Didn't seem to be a problem with Fallout 3,

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15729 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Meh. Mountain in a mole hill. ME3 ending > BG2 ending. No contest. More importantly, ME3 ending > ME3 beginning

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3550 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Eh? FO3's ending was never supposed to be some clever mindjob, it just stunk. Those advocating that ME3's ending is the BESTEST SEKRET the world has ever seen are the ones saying this is smart when in fact 95% of the user base will never know of THE SEKRET because they dont visit forums. Besides, who knows how many people even tried the FO3 ending redo.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
i didn't know they did a redo of the fallout 3 ending. that ending was such a pos i never even bothered with the main quest in subsequent playthroughs.

you know what game had a great ending? fallout. the ending of that game was perfect.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15729 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It was good but it was not perfect.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4493 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

i didn't know they did a redo of the fallout 3 ending. that ending was such a pos i never even bothered with the main quest in subsequent playthroughs.

It was changed via the Broken Steel DLC (instead of dying, you just get sick and the game continues). IIRC, there were other changes, too, but this is the one I am particularly referring to.

Eh? FO3's ending was never supposed to be some clever mindjob, it just stunk. Those advocating that ME3's ending is the BESTEST SEKRET the world has ever seen are the ones saying this is smart when in fact 95% of the user base will never know of THE SEKRET because they dont visit forums. Besides, who knows how many people even tried the FO3 ending redo.

Well, I don't have the sales numbers for Broken Steel and the ultimate edition of FO3, but I've been under the impression that they were both profitable, well-received ventures :p

Apart from that, I can't help but feel you're answering somebody else, as it has nothing to do with what I was saying (the core problem with ME3's ending being that it sucks, and not really that differently from FO3, artistic pretensions notwithstanding).

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3550 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Apart from that, I can't help but feel you're answering somebody else, as it has nothing to do with what I was saying (the core problem with ME3's ending being that it sucks, and not really that differently from FO3, artistic pretensions notwithstanding).

I was responding to Deathdealer's above post where he feels its a great idea to hide the "real" ending until weeks down the road and then springing it will rewrite gaming history. My positon is that it is not a good idea as most users will never get to know the "real" ending because they are not forum dwellers. Im not sure what you were responding to initially if not that.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4493 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I was responding to Deathdealer's above post where he feels its a great idea to hide the "real" ending until weeks down the road and then springing it will rewrite gaming history. My positon is that it is not a good idea as most users will never get to know the "real" ending because they are not forum dwellers. Im not sure what you were responding to initially if not that.

oright. I think you underestimate the amount of people who still get plenty of information about games without being "forum dwellers", though. It sure would rewrite gaming history, but considering the gamestop-induced lifespan games have these days... sigh.

Edited by Nepenthe, 21 March 2012 - 10:42 AM.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6724 posts
FO3 was just one game. In case of ME3, the outrage is so great because it's the ending to a trilogy that was always about feel-good space opera and overcoming against all odds... and the actual ending just throws everything out of the window.

I can't really think of another game series that ends on such a sour note. Maybe Broken Sword 4.
  • Drowsy Emperor likes this

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2566 posts
But Broken Sword 4 wasn't meant to be the end of the line as far as I know - doubly so now that Broken Sword 5 is likely to be released this year thanks to the success of the remastered predecessors. Further, BS4 was outsourced for the most part to another developer I think.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
re-writing the ending of anything is, imo, worse than writing a bad ending to begin with. (if video games want to be taken seriously - if they don't... well then who cares anyway, it was a stupid story about space robots)

Azdeus

Azdeus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

re-writing the ending of anything is, imo, worse than writing a bad ending to begin with. (if video games want to be taken seriously - if they don't... well then who cares anyway, it was a stupid story about space robots)

Well, as someone pointed out on RPS, Blade Runners Directors Cut did rewrite itself. Don't know how valid this claim is though, might be someone here that has seen both versions.

That said, I do agree with your point. Rewriting the ending is a really bad idea.

I really find it funny to read all the peoples wishful thinking and denial-fu theories about what the ending really is. Just so that they can feel good about the ending!

Edited by Azdeus, 21 March 2012 - 04:23 PM.

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts
Blade runner is interesting to debate. There is more than two versions out there...I'd have to look at my disks, but I think there are at least 3 to 4 versions. The Theatrical, the Directors, and the Final. I personally like the Theatrical best. Maybe it's because I like monologues...or perhaps maybe I am simply a sucker for happy endings.

I remember watching another version with my wife, the elevator closes and the movie ends and she says...that's it? I grinned (still liked it...have no fear), and...dare I say it...mocked her? Okay...didn't exactly mock her...simply said yes, and went to finish my popcorn in another room.

I don't think it really rewrote itself. It added to the idea that the main character was a replicant himself. It doesn't conclusively state that however, so there's "Lots of speculation for everyone."

:w00t:

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1936 posts
I have all the versions of Blade Runner (except the unedited studio version obviously) and its not a good comparison. Ridley Scott was forced to implement things he didn't want to. First chance he got to do it, he cut that material out, mainly a clear happy ending and Ford's monologue (which Ford himself hated too). To put it bluntly its a case of suits hijacking the creative process and the artist reclaiming his work.

Besides BR was a financial flop so its hard to argue that the changes were made to sell the movie or please the fans. The man wanted to see his vision through and it paid off (unexpectedly) in the end.

ME3's original creators simply screwed up their own work and its arguable they didn't even have a vision to begin with. That's all there is to it.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor, 21 March 2012 - 09:31 PM.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15729 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
"ME's original creators simply screwed up their own work. That's all there is to it. "

Except the original ME writer or whatever has stated quite clearly that his planned ending is different then the one the game actually has so obviously what you just wrote is wrong. (this has nothiong to do qiath the quality (or lack of quality).

P.S. the 'suits' can't 'hijack' soemthing, btw, that they are paying for. If you want ultimate creative cotnrol, pay up or shut up.

Edited by Volourn, 21 March 2012 - 09:29 PM.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1936 posts

Except the original ME writer or whatever has stated quite clearly that his planned ending is different then the one the game actually has so obviously what you just wrote is wrong. (this has nothiong to do qiath the quality (or lack of quality).

Where?

Ah you're referring to the typo. I forgot the 3.

Besides, it doesn't change anything - someone or other from BW openly admitted that they never thought the ending out and only had concepts they wanted to implement.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor, 21 March 2012 - 10:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users