Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Future of the Dragon Age franchise

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

Amentep

Amentep

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3380 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

3. Synthesis

I think that would be Enhancement! in DA.

The origin of Sandal - revealed at last!

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
i liked a lot about DA2, but the mistakes they made were big ones, and led to the game ultimately being just "ok".

it was really fun for one playthrough, but then once you stop to think about what happened, and try re-playing... the game gets bad really fast.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2885 posts
Unless they are going to go back to making a DA honest to god CRPG count me uninterested.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4583 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hi

We talked about this on a separate thread already, but I decided to make a new one so those interested wouldn't miss the info.

The news is: the executive producer for the DA franchise posted on the BIO forums, talking about the future of the franchise. Most importantly, the following things are confirmed:

a) No more DLCs or expansions for DA2. Possibly patches.
b) They are working on a new DA game.

Frankly, at this stage, neither of those is really news. DA3's been known for ages, and the utter silence since that last (not bad) DLC came out has pretty much suggested that there will be no more. Frankly, the only news here is that they actually were planning AN EXPANSION for the game in silence.

Mike Laidlaw's been moved to a different position (he never was the project director aka casey hudson of DA2 in any case, just the one to give the project a face), but I doubt that anything barring no auto attack in the console versions can be really laid (heh) at his door.

Dragon Age 3: Cataclysm

The old god child will give Hawke/warden three choices at the end.

1. All Qunari & Mages die
2. Blood control of all Mages
3. Synthesis

:yes:

Wow. I think the amount of jaded sarcasm in this thread is actually giving me an allergic reaction. Haven't played ME3, but I can't believe it's that bad. And after seeing the decisions they made with regards to c&c between DAO and DA2, I'm neither surprised nor particularly disappointed.

I guess this is just this week's "let's bash BIO" thread.

Now, where are my antihistamines?

Yeah, I've been taking massive amounts of **** for defending Bio for years, yet I've suddenly realigned myself for no reason? The problem with ME3 isn't that it's bad, it's that it's a really good game with a ****ING TERRIBLE ending, with the added bonus of being the final solution to a trilogy. It's like Return of the Jedi ending right when they are attacking the Death Star only to immediately reveal that Darth Vader used to be a whiny kid and two different miserable actors before fading to black :p

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4568 posts
  • Backer

Yeah, I've been taking massive amounts of **** for defending Bio for years, yet I've suddenly realigned myself for no reason? The problem with ME3 isn't that it's bad, it's that it's a really good game with a ****ING TERRIBLE ending, with the added bonus of being the final solution to a trilogy. It's like Return of the Jedi ending right when they are attacking the Death Star only to immediately reveal that Darth Vader used to be a whiny kid and two different miserable actors before fading to black :p

That bad, huh?

Guess I'll just wait and see, then. I'm not too worried, to be honest, I'm on record as liking the Lacroix ending in Bloodlines. :p

Slinky

Slinky

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2144 posts
  • Backer
Just remember if the indoctrination theory proves to be right (as I personally believe), the really crappy ending will turn in to one of the best endings ever in record time.

Though even if that happens, I'm not going to be all that happy if the real ending dlc has to be bought.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9485 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
There is nothing good about indoctrination theory. It is still a terrible ending. Probably worse, because it's not an ending at all. It's just "rocks fall, everyone dies" outside the boss room. Except maybe you survive the rocks and it fades to black.

Slinky

Slinky

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2144 posts
  • Backer

There is nothing good about indoctrination theory. It is still a terrible ending. Probably worse, because it's not an ending at all.

I get that, would have been much better if the game wouldn't have "ended" there.

It's just "rocks fall, everyone dies" outside the boss room. Except maybe you survive the rocks and it fades to black.

I don't get that, what rocks? Who dies? Huh wat?

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9485 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

There is nothing good about indoctrination theory. It is still a terrible ending. Probably worse, because it's not an ending at all.

I get that, would have been much better if the game wouldn't have "ended" there.

It's just "rocks fall, everyone dies" outside the boss room. Except maybe you survive the rocks and it fades to black.

I don't get that, what rocks? Who dies? Huh wat?

Indoctrination theory posits that Shepard dies and humanity loses in two of three endings. And is surrounded by rubble (rocks) in the third. The squadmates that went to the beam are definitely dead.

If you're unfamiliar with the concept of "rocks fall, everyone dies" that's another thing.
http://tvtropes.org/...allEveryoneDies

This is what happens in role playing games when the game master gets utterly fed up with the players: he kills them all spectacularly.

Regardless of the cause, if the GM goes as far as Rocks Fall Everyone Dies, the campaign has failed on a grand scale.

This is often considered a bad thing.

Slinky

Slinky

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2144 posts
  • Backer

Indoctrination theory posits that Shepard dies in two of three endings. And is surrounded by rubble (rocks) in the third).

Spoiler

And there is isn't any proof that the squad members shepard had with him died, while that sure is a possibility. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Edited by Deathdealer, 21 March 2012 - 05:49 AM.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9485 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Which is a terrible ending. Far from "one of the best endings ever."

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5312 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
That'd be clever on their part. But fooling their customers that way won't go down very well, I wonder if all the leads to this are just proof of them planning this but then axing at the end due to some reason. So how does the Normandy and Stargazer bit fit into things with this theory?

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2697 posts
oops, mispost

Edited by Humanoid, 21 March 2012 - 05:50 AM.

Slinky

Slinky

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2144 posts
  • Backer

Which is a terrible ending. Far from "one of the best endings ever."

Heh, I personally find it awesome that the game also "indoctrinated" the player. You have to agree that is not something you often see in a game where things are far from what they look like. (If the theory proves right of course)

That'd be clever on their part. But fooling their customers that way won't go down very well, I wonder if all the leads to this are just proof of them planning this but then axing at the end due to some reason. So how does the Normandy and Stargazer bit fit into things with this theory?

Yeah I've been wondering too if they just axed it out from the final product just to sell lots of DLC. NOT NICE if that's the case. No idea what's with the normandy scene, the stargazer is probably just some continues in the next episode type thing,,

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9485 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Heh, I personally find it awesome that the game also "indoctrinated" the player.

Making me think the ending to the game is terrible is not "indoctrinating" me.

This is no more mind control than locking someone in a room with three doors that all lead to a punch to the throat is a clever prank. But hey, one of the three doors also has losenge.

The correct answer to any such game is not door number 1. It is to not play.

Slinky

Slinky

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2144 posts
  • Backer
I sense bitterness around here somewhere :p

Edit: Just remember, if this thing happens to be true, the ending of ME3 is just the ending for that game, not the trilogy nor the story. Now I try not to talk about it anymore, going to see bio's next move.

Edited by Deathdealer, 21 March 2012 - 06:14 AM.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5312 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hm, if it's a trilogy how can the third game's ending not be an ending to the trilogy ? :p

Slinky

Slinky

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2144 posts
  • Backer
DLC being part of ME3 and all that crap. Don't ask me, just being high by false hopes and such here :p

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4028 posts
  • Gold Backer

I sense bitterness around here somewhere :p

Edit: Just remember, if this thing happens to be true, the ending of ME3 is just the ending for that game, not the trilogy nor the story. Now I try not to talk about it anymore, going to see bio's next move.

Don't hold your breath. If ending DLC is released it will be because Bio has been scrambling the past couple weeks to throw something together with the most popular fan theory rather than something that was planned out in advance.

If they actually had something like this in the works the PR machine would be tripping over itself to reassure people to just hold on rather than the current focus of "We're listening to your complaints and we're collecting feedback".

Edited by Deraldin, 21 March 2012 - 06:27 AM.

Slinky

Slinky

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2144 posts
  • Backer

Don't hold your breath. If ending DLC is released it will be because Bio has been scrambling the past couple weeks to throw something together with the most popular fan theory rather than something that was planned out in advance.

Even that would be better than leave it like it is though.

If they actually had something like this in the works the PR machine would be tripping over itself to reassure people to just hold on rather than the current focus of "We're listening to your complaints and we're collecting feedback".

For some reason I feel like they WANT people to go all hurr durr about the ending. And then drop the bomb later.

But who knows, let's see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users