What are you playing now?

Finished mapping level 2 in Grimrock. Portals were playing havoc on my map making skills. I think I could go through it blindfolded now though.

So far I've got 9/71 secrets, 1/7 treasure (this reminds me of Wolfenstein 3D :biggrin: ).

The designers have a sense of humor too, the level snakes back in on itself with the exit being one or two nodes away from the starting location.

Its so much easier when you have a map to fall back on. I played a bit without the map a bit and after turning around because of combat I completely lost my bearings.

Still, I'd never play it with the automap, its sooooo sweet to play this way.

I wonder when it became a sin to make fun games.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Salvatore didn't work on the characters at all, he was only involved in the lore of the world.

And it's not like he's known for creating a multitude of interesting characters. He's milked the same ~6 for, what, two decades now? :p

Meanwhile, I'm doing my second playthrough of ME3 (currently at Rannoch) and slipping in a multiplayer match at the beginning and end of every gaming session. Leveling up my Krogan and Turian Sentinels for possibly trying higher difficulties later and infiltrators to get another promotion to GaW.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

And it's not like he's known for creating a multitude of interesting characters. He's milked the same ~6 for, what, two decades now? :p

To be honest, I don't really like Salvatore's work all that much from what I read, but I can't really blame him for something he wasn't involved in. 38 Studios made a really big deal about their 'visionaries' (who actually, from what I understand, didn't do a lot of hands-on work on the actual title save for maybe Rolston), so the misunderstanding is totally understandable. I can't comment on KoA:R characters besides the demo, and they weren't anything special there, nope.

Forza 3. Shift 2 was free on PSN+ but i didn't really like it, so i started forza on xbox instead. Much better.

I liked Gran Turismo meself.

Meh, that has too much physics for my liking . :)

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Pre-purchasers get automatically invited for the "open" beta events.

Oh, wasn't aware of that. Well if you will participate, I'd like to read some impressions if you're willing. Especially if you played gw1.

Sure, and yes, I did play 1.
  • Like 1

I picked up KoA again...but I think I'm going to have to bow out. There's not much interesting going on and I feel like I'm just running around to a variety of points people point me to and killing monsters and repeating.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Salvatore didn't work on the characters at all, he was only involved in the lore of the world.

Ah. Which would explain why the lore was the only part that seemed even a tiny bit fleshed out.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Its so much easier when you have a map to fall back on. I played a bit without the map a bit and after turning around because of combat I completely lost my bearings.

I'm too weenie to not have the automap option just in case, but I've hardly had to use it. Think I've looked at it three times, and then only because I lost my bearing re:what direction I was facing in and was too lazy to walk a distance to figure out if I was going in the direction I'd intended. Funny...terrible memory for text/verbal things but visual memory is super high.

Is Evasion supposed to work only on physical damage? Because I swear my Rogue, who has 24 Evasion, usually takes very little damage against, say, those poison spitters...her health will be almost full while the others have just a sliver left or something. ie, like her Evasion is kicking in.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Caved and bought Legends of Grimrock. It is awesome sentimental goodness.

I'm on the verge of caving too. I don't much care for hack and slash, but if the pacing isn't Diablo and the puzzles are intelligent, I might have fun.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Never played Ultima Underworld or other games of the type, watched a few vids and LPs but I probably wouldn't be interested if the Codex weren't drooling all over. I'd have preferred turn-based as the whole 'waltz-y dodging' stuff seems silly, but most importantly, it's a no-frills party-combat dungeon crawl, which is fantastic, but is there enough variety in abilities, tactics and enemies?

Still waiting for the next CK2 update so got nothing, but maybe AOD demo will update soon..

Grimrock also just has a great simple character design that really brings back the memories. My first RPG was Might and Magic 3, and this immediately felt comfortable for me. It's nifty and well worth the price of admission.

I do hope we move out of the catacombs eventually, I prefer to adventure in the open air.

I'm too weenie to not have the automap option just in case, but I've hardly had to use it. Think I've looked at it three times, and then only because I lost my bearing re:what direction I was facing in and was too lazy to walk a distance to figure out if I was going in the direction I'd intended. Funny...terrible memory for text/verbal things but visual memory is super high.

Is Evasion supposed to work only on physical damage? Because I swear my Rogue, who has 24 Evasion, usually takes very little damage against, say, those poison spitters...her health will be almost full while the others have just a sliver left or something. ie, like her Evasion is kicking in.

Dunno, mine is in the back row along with the mage and takes damage only rarely. I never allow enemies to hit me from the side or back if I can help it.

Finished level 3 now, had a particularly difficult time against some green blobs.

Grimrock also just has a great simple character design that really brings back the memories. My first RPG was Might and Magic 3, and this immediately felt comfortable for me. It's nifty and well worth the price of admission.

I do hope we move out of the catacombs eventually, I prefer to adventure in the open air.

I think there are no outside locations in the game.

Ahah....I discovered my EVGA Precision program has a framerate limiter option. So I set Grimrock's .exe to a limit of 100, and now I can turn vcync off/the temp stays around 60-65. Yay! (without limits/vsync it runs at a near constant 250ish for me).

@Drowsy - I'd forgotten about poison resistance, I think that was probably it. She took that trait that gives her more. :blush: Poison (maybe all area magic), will hit them even if they're in the rear. Maybe a little less so but it definitely does. If you're terrible at avoiding, like me, you find that out quickly. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think there are no outside locations in the game.

I'm sure there aren't, I meant for future games.

Almost done with Guild Wars now. Whoever came up with combining the end bosses of two campaigns and put them at the end of a 20 minue long mission should be punched. And then there's the bonus objective: ignoring the bosses for another 5 minutes, letting them punch you.

Inspired by the Kickstarter discussion thread, MOO2, for the first time in about 7-8 years. Getting crushed on average difficulty a number of times, could only win (and easily at that) with the overpowered Creative perk. Never was particularly good at it, mind, and I remember the reason not loving it as much as I could is one primary annoyance, building bloat. Just so many uninteresting things to build by the lategame that it becomes a chore.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm just finishing up KoA for the achievements. That's usually how I can tell I've lost interest in the game; when I no longer play because I'm enjoying myself.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Legend of Grimrock

Did not think I'd enjoy it half as much as I am. The pacing is definitely not bad. It's good to have the tension about whether a battle is coming up. And the puzzles are well thought out.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Level 5 dungeon in Grimrock now, the game is still quite good.

Any RPG fan should have it in his collection, so sayeth the wise Alaundo.

Tribes Ascend. Nothing so sexy as hitting someone midair with a disc from 200 m.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Avadon: The Black Fortress. I don't know how much I have left. I think I've been to each region twice now. Probably not much left now. Will try to finish a couple of quests that were too difficult for me earlier, and then hopefully the end game stuff will be next.

Level 6 in grimrock, its starting to get a bit harder.