Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
588 replies to this topic

Llyranor

Llyranor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6800 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Gabrielle
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Turn-based party-based RPG? Sign me up! I pledged 65 for the cloth map!

Maybe I should start a Kickstarter for my janitor RPG.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm in it to win it. glad to see they are making more than they hoped for. if this turns out well i really hope we see a return of classic crpg style games. which died completely without explanation at the height of their popularity :(
  • PoetAndMadman likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8766 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
They died when bio moved away, interplay bearhugged black isle to jump off a cliff together, and the industry itself became even more big budget, etc. RTS had pretty rough few years, too.

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3192 posts
are RTS games even being made today? I don't remember any except SC 2 and DoW 2, and that was a few years ago already

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9789 posts

are RTS games even being made today? I don't remember any except SC 2 and DoW 2, and that was a few years ago already

They are twelve a dozen. Checking places like Gamersgate, Strategy First, Matrix Games etc. is rather depressing sometimes. 19 out of 20 games that calls themselves "Strategy" is just rts games (not an exact count, just an impressionistic version).

Oblarg

Oblarg

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 878 posts

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is coming out this year.

Orchomene

Orchomene

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm in for 65 bucks.

molarBear

molarBear

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts
today someone just pledged to $10,000 tier :)

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2228 posts
  • Silver Backer
Heh the $10ks were full the first day, but i looks like they've increased the number of possible backers for those tiers now.

Humodour

Humodour

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 3563 posts
If I'm reading it right, they've now raised $1.5 million dollars for Wasteland 2 with 27 days to go. They've stated that this means they'll release Linux and Mac versions as well.

Double Fine raised $3.3 million and theirs has finished.

Those are some pretty large numbers. I'm curious though, who owns the IP? And can these devs then sell the finished products online via Steam to make further cash?

Edit: And to think Gorth and co were only recently ranting about how piracy has killed the game industry. Yeah right. I don't think I've ever seen it stronger, more varied, more multi-platform, or more open to independents (and Kickstarter is but one reason among many).

Edited by Krezack, 21 March 2012 - 02:04 AM.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5621 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

And can these devs then sell the finished products online via Steam to make further cash?

That's the plan.

On the IP: inXile owns the Wasteland IP, bought it back from EA. Double Fine will presumably own the IP since I think they're working on a completely new one.

Humodour

Humodour

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 3563 posts

And can these devs then sell the finished products online via Steam to make further cash?

That's the plan.

On the IP: inXile owns the Wasteland IP, bought it back from EA. Double Fine will presumably own the IP since I think they're working on a completely new one.

Awesome.

Based on what Brian Fargo's describing in the YouTube video, it's going to be a combination of Jagged Alliance 2 and Fallout 1/2. I think I'll pledge some bucks.

Edited by Krezack, 21 March 2012 - 02:12 AM.

vault_overseer

vault_overseer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Silver Backer
HUGE NEWS:
http://www.rockpaper...-one-condition/

pmp10

pmp10

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 861 posts

HUGE NEWS:
http://www.rockpaper...-one-condition/

Now that's confusing.
I thought Obsidian was thinking on kick-starting a project of their own.

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4055 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Now that's confusing.
I thought Obsidian was thinking on kick-starting a project of their own.

Hopefully they still do. If they don't I can't view that as a very smart decision.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2928 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It has now reached $1,7 million. Only $400K remains!

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
im guessing this is more of a: "here obsidian, have some money and let us borrow some of your expertise and tools to help make this a hit. if it is a hit, then we'll help you on your kickstarter when that gets going, and hopefully it will prove to the world that people still want and can make these kinds of games."

teaming up for the greater good etc. im guessing the extra money goes straight to obsidian, and is probably barely enough to cover the expenses they anticipate in lending their help to Wasteland 2.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hm. Never played Wasteland...I'll have to research/read more in depth this weekend. But I like rpg's, post-apocalyptic, and supporting good projects when I can....so if I like what I read I'll pledge something.

And if Obsidian themselves kick-starts their own rpg project, I'll be on that one too.

MacMichael

MacMichael

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:RogueMacMichael
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Supposedly Obsidian would only be helping with the design work and licensing tools, which I assume means Onyx, for the game. They aren't doing any of the programming.
http://wasteland.inx...3f5f660702e79bb

Humodour

Humodour

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 3563 posts

Supposedly Obsidian would only be helping with the design work and licensing tools, which I assume means Onyx, for the game. They aren't doing any of the programming.
http://wasteland.inx...3f5f660702e79bb

If Obsidian are giving them the engine that THEY coded, then of course Obsidian are doing programming. They're also going to continue doing programming to help Inexile maintain and adapt the engine.

What I find more interesting is that Obsidian will be helping out with design work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users