Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mass Effect 3

...and thanks for all the Fish

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
571 replies to this topic

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts

I don't think the fleet commands are clever enough to realize that. See their carpet formation in the battle at Earth, for example :p

Spoiler

In response to Oblarg: AS I said no way are we going to agree on the points. I'd say forget the collectors...Normandy is the ONLY ship in the galaxy to basically take down a Reaper on it's own that we've seen. How powerful do you consider a Reaper? Is that good enough for you yet? Going back to my post above though, even if we can't agree, we can still agree to be chums and not let a trivial disagreement on the strength of the Normandy be the divisor. You're not going to convince me, I'm not going to convince you...so let's say cheers all and agree upon that.

Edited by greylord, 20 March 2012 - 10:00 AM.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5393 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Normandy breaks Sovereign's back with some torpedo or something after the fleet pounded on it and it's shields failed. Plot weapon I guess, heh.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7048 posts
Sovereign's shields were down after Shepard beat Kermit. Even a Reaper is fair game without shields. Otherwise conventional weaponry can't even scratch Reaper shields.

In ME3 it's mentioned 3 dreadnoughts with thanix cannon (based on reverse engineered Reaper tech) can destroy a Reaper dreadnought.

Reaper destroyers land on planets, which weakens their shields, making it possible to take them down with two shots from the Cain or orbital strikes.

Edited by virumor, 20 March 2012 - 10:32 AM.

Oblarg

Oblarg

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 878 posts

Normandy breaks Sovereign's back with some torpedo or something after the fleet pounded on it and it's shields failed. Plot weapon I guess, heh.

Yeah, I always thought of that as a cinematic touch more than anything - I thought it was made pretty clear that the fleet destroyed Sovereign, not the Normandy.

Giantevilhead

Giantevilhead

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
If they were smart, they'd use nukes. The Normandy is big enough to easily carry over 100 modern day megaton yield warheads. With the tech level of the ME universe, they can probably make gigaton yield nukes small enough to be carried by ships.

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5145 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

If they were smart, they'd use nukes. The Normandy is big enough to easily carry over 100 modern day megaton yield warheads. With the tech level of the ME universe, they can probably make gigaton yield nukes small enough to be carried by ships.

Somehow, that would've been awesome if the first two games would've been, atleast partly, about manufacturing a ****load of nukes for battlereadiness against the Reapers. A couple of teratons of nuclear fission and there wouldn't have been a single reaper left. It would fit the renegade option as well: "Screw those protheans and their flimsy high-tech. We're going to blow **** UP!"

In the end of ME3, Shepard should've had the option of collargrabbing the god child, throw him into the device(s), plant a nuke on the station (with a grafitti painting of a middle finger) and blow the whole thing up (with convienent timer that makes for a great escape-scene). The reapers are the disabled and it's partytime at Omega.

Giantevilhead

Giantevilhead

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
By the same token, if the Reapers were smart, they'd use nukes too.

A Reaper invasion would be much more effective if they started by detonating nukes high in earth's atmosphere, creating EMP's to knock out all civilian technology and communications. Followed by nuclear strikes to obliterate earth's military bases. Then they come down to tear apart the bunkers that were hardened against nukes. Earth would then be left defenseless with most of its population alive and ready to be harvested.

It would have also been smart for the Reapers to place nuclear mines next to the Mass Relay so that any ship coming through without Reaper access codes gets a healthy dose of radiation.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
If we would try to explain this with "logic", there would be no ME series at all.

Any civilization that can travel the stars probably also has the power to obliterate whole planets in a matter of hours. But that's not what BioWare wanted, 'cause ya know, it would be a pretty short and pointless game.

Sci-Fi is dead, especially the Science part in it.

Giantevilhead

Giantevilhead

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
But they would also establish certain conventions of war to prevent mututally assured destruction.

Unless you are the only spacefaring civilization, you can't just go around nuking your enemies to oblivion or other spacefaring civilizations would do the same to you.

Edited by Giantevilhead, 20 March 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2955 posts

But they would also establish certain conventions of war to prevent mututally assured destruction.

Unless you are the only spacefaring civilization, you can't just go around nuking your enemies to oblivion or other spacefaring civilizations would do the same to you.

And that its why the world of Fallout it's lush green since people can respect convections and....Oh.

Giantevilhead

Giantevilhead

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

And that its why the world of Fallout it's lush green since people can respect convections and....Oh.

Except in Fallout, the world was already dying before the Great War. If they didn't nuke themselves, they would have all died from famine, disease, overpopulation, and resource shortages.

Also, the kind of weapons civilizations with FTL travel can develop would be powerful enough to wipe out worlds leaving no technology or survivors. Which means that if they had a massive interstellar war using those kinds of weapons, there would be no way to actually set a TV show/movie/book/game in that universe since everyone would be dead.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts
New thread
New thread
New thread

:skull:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users