RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Remind me why we care? What was the selling point of DS apart from difficulty?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Can't wait for the reaction of the master race when they find out that the difficulty is a myth. More so in Dark Souls than in Demon Souls. Not only that, they will get the latest patched version of Dark Souls, which has dumbed down mobs and bosses.

• Like 1

Hey everyone. I just spent half an hour googling the **** out of it, but found nada. I've read on a random site that somebody was trying to make Baldur's Gate 3, and there was even a thread on this forum, which was closed due to its length (how is this even a reason?). Anyway, I'd like to inquire as to its status - is it in a coma, is it dead, but not buried, or is it completely gone and the sources aren't even shared for somebody else to continue? Anyone?

(oohhh, censure?! really??)

Edited by Delfosse

We? Since when do you represent more than your silly self?

Since when is that relevant to the question I was asking?

I haven't heard a single thing that makes this game worth playing apart from it being "too hard for n00bs" meaning it could, for all intents and purposes have as much real depth as Ghosts'n Goblins.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Hey everyone. I just spent half an hour googling the **** out of it, but found nada. I've read on a random site that somebody was trying to make Baldur's Gate 3, and there was even a thread on this forum, which was closed due to its length (how is this even a reason?). Anyway, I'd like to inquire as to its status - is it in a coma, is it dead, but not buried, or is it completely gone and the sources aren't even shared for somebody else to continue? Anyone?

Yes, censorship. Really.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59469-baldurs-gate-and-baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-editions-announced/ Here's what you're looking for.

And yes, closing the thread because of length is a reason.

Yes, censorship. Really.

http://forums.obsidi...ions-announced/ Here's what you're looking for.

And yes, closing the thread because of length is a reason.

Thanks for answering. I wouldn't want to waste our (mine and yours) time debating over something as idle as length being a good reason for closing threads (which in that context was only meant as a technical reason, but knowing a little something about coding, it's not a reason at all, so let's just not...)

Enhanced edition is absolutely not what I was looking for, since there's nothing enhanced about it, it's a simple iOS port and I don't own anything apple related, since it's a stupid way of wasting money on a brand, not that there's a smart way to do that (oh yeah, imho, so don't even bother, please...)

What I was asking about was this: http://forums.obsidi...lack-hound-faq/

Edited by Delfosse

The difficulty in the Souls games isn't that bad as long as you don't rush things. What I like about the games is that you need to be aware of your surroundings and enemy movement. Your positioning matters, and so does the choice of weapon. You need to watch your stamina bar and not just button mash, or you're dead. I'm not great at these kind of games, but I beat 75% of the bosses on my first try. The way to them was the tricky part and I died many times trying to reach them. I played a character with light armour that didn't give as much protection as the heavy ones, but instead I could roll and dodge enemy attacks much easier.

Fighting another human player is probably some of the most exciting I've done in online multiplayer. My record in PvP is very bad, but it's great nonetheless. Some players have found cheesy ways to win like in most MP games, but most of the time, the fights are fun.

I'd write more, but I'm writing from my phone and my wrist is hurting.

Enhanced edition isn't an iOS port, that's just a side feature. We have a whole topic that covers the various improvements and changes including new content.

Black Hound is dead. It had nothing (or very little) to do with Baldur's Gate in the first place, and like Dark Alliance 1 and 2 it probably just used the name.

BG3 in some shape or form depends on the success of the enhanced edition and Atari's good will since they currently hold the license. This is straight from the developers mouth.

BG3 as an idea makes little sense. The story is complete and done with ToB. Any new game in the series is likely to be something completely different with a nod to the original.

The Black Hound is EXACTLY what the next Baldurs Gate should be. A new beginning. No more tired re-hashed Bhaal crap. It's done.

I have no hope on whatever this BGIII the remake guys are doing, If it's BG III: MOAR BHALL CRAP! Then count me out.

I wish Obsidian could make the proper BG III. ;_;

There is nothing about BG3 at the moment except the Enhanced Edition guys who 'want to' do it in the future. The Black Hound is dead and there is pretty much zero chance it will ever come round, unless Sawyer actually finishes the mod version.

We close threads at a certain length because after that they start doing funky things. I'm sure it could be fixed, but it's not a big deal at the moment.

Can't wait for the reaction of the master race when they find out that the difficulty is a myth. More so in Dark Souls than in Demon Souls. Not only that, they will get the latest patched version of Dark Souls, which has dumbed down mobs and bosses.

Congratulations on being the coolest kid on the block, I guess? The difficulty is most definitely not 'a myth' unless you have been playing different video games than I do for the last 10 years or so.

http://consumerist.c...a-for-2012.html

EA wins the title of worst company in America.

How is EA worse than half of those other companies? People take gaming way too seriously.

It isn't. It's a pretty good indicator of the kind of negativity that surrounds EA lately though, although whether that will have financial repercussions we'll have to see, and I'm still a tad skeptical (stuff like Kickstarter is happening though, so I tend to be a little less cynical these days).

According to the Article, it's basically because EA has had several monetary schemes that have gone bad. Project 10 Dollar, Day 1 DLC, that sort of thing have been the main reason for the hatred.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"BG3 as an idea makes little sense. The story is complete and done with ToB. Any new game in the series is likely to be something completely different with a nod to the original."

Wrong.

" Day 1 DLC, that sort of thing have been the main reason for the hatred. "

What's funny is that the same people who supposedly hate day 1 dlc continue to buy/play it which only encourages EA and others to continue it. If you don't like it, don't participate.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

the marketing point was difficulty, but that's not what makes the game good. The only good thing about the difficulty is that it forces you to pay attention to what you are playing, which gives you the time to really notice all the great things about the game because you aren't rushing through it.

Combat System:

the game has possibly the best combat design of any action game i've ever played. You must be precise, methodical, and know when to strike and when to block or dodge. its not fast like devil may cry or ninja gaiden, its slow and all your moves have real weight behind them. animation and hit detection are excellent, but its the thoughtfulness and timing of the combat system that sets it above other action games. leveling up has a minimal effect on your ability to defeat enemies, it mostly comes down to how good you are at fighting. having better equipment means you can make a mistake (maybe just 1) and keep fighting, and having better weapons means the enemy will take a few less hits. but no matter what, almost any enemy can kill you, and every boss will take 2-5 tries to defeat before you learn its weaknesses and how to attack it.

Art Direction:

dark, moody, frightening, gothic. AAA art design in every sense of the word, from enemies to armor to the environments themselves, the game is among the best in the last decade. i wish the game had a god mode cheat just for players who don't like hard games to be able to wander around and enjoy how atmospheric the game is.

Level Design:

fantastic, on par with the best metroid and castlevania games, if not quite reaching the heights of Ocarina of Time. the more you play the more you will appreciate the care and attention that went into building the world. it makes corridor games and most modern games in general look like the work of lazy children.

not everything about the game is good though:

the difficulty level spikes dramatically when you get about 2/3 through the game. it was hard enough at the beginning, but i actually got to a point where i could get to 3 different bosses, but couldn't kill any of them even after several tries. I wish this game had an easy mode that unlocked after you die 100 times, just giving all the enemies half the life and changing nothing else - the game would still be very hard, but not frustratingly so.

also, some people dont like the combat system because its too methodical, but thats a personal taste issue.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Difficult spike 2/3 through the game.. uh? I don't really remember anything like that honestly. At that point the average player usually has mastered the controls and knows how to approach the title, so it shouldn't really be all that complicated? Plus, at least on PS3, there's a pretty active community so there are plenty of summons available. Not that it was *easy*, but I just don't remember there being a difficulty spike.

the marketing point was difficulty, but that's not what makes the game good. The only good thing about the difficulty is that it forces you to pay attention to what you are playing, which gives you the time to really notice all the great things about the game because you aren't rushing through it.

Combat System:

the game has possibly the best combat design of any action game i've ever played. You must be precise, methodical, and know when to strike and when to block or dodge. its not fast like devil may cry or ninja gaiden, its slow and all your moves have real weight behind them. animation and hit detection are excellent, but its the thoughtfulness and timing of the combat system that sets it above other action games. leveling up has a minimal effect on your ability to defeat enemies, it mostly comes down to how good you are at fighting. having better equipment means you can make a mistake (maybe just 1) and keep fighting, and having better weapons means the enemy will take a few less hits. but no matter what, almost any enemy can kill you, and every boss will take 2-5 tries to defeat before you learn its weaknesses and how to attack it.

Art Direction:

dark, moody, frightening, gothic. AAA art design in every sense of the word, from enemies to armor to the environments themselves, the game is among the best in the last decade. i wish the game had a god mode cheat just for players who don't like hard games to be able to wander around and enjoy how atmospheric the game is.

Level Design:

fantastic, on par with the best metroid and castlevania games, if not quite reaching the heights of Ocarina of Time. the more you play the more you will appreciate the care and attention that went into building the world. it makes corridor games and most modern games in general look like the work of lazy children.

not everything about the game is good though:

the difficulty level spikes dramatically when you get about 2/3 through the game. it was hard enough at the beginning, but i actually got to a point where i could get to 3 different bosses, but couldn't kill any of them even after several tries. I wish this game had an easy mode that unlocked after you die 100 times, just giving all the enemies half the life and changing nothing else - the game would still be very hard, but not frustratingly so.

also, some people dont like the combat system because its too methodical, but thats a personal taste issue.

I can live with hard combat as long as its not a grind fest.

I don't see you saying anything about the story?

Epic Games working on a PC-exclusive title.

At this point I can only imagine that it's Unreal Tournament remade into f2p browser game.

Yeah right. The evil PC gamers all pirated GoW, don't they remember?