RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

Legend of Grimrock Dated for April.

http://www.grimrock.net

http://onemansblog.com/2012/01/29/legend-of-grimrock-devs-implement-gui-change-just-to-help-one-user/

This is one I have been waiting months for; (technically though, for two decades :grin: ).

Nice touch, now we know where to go complain if the UI sucks ;)

Curious to see the game when released. Having played that type of games since the Amiga days.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The way IGN is spinning the story is kinda misleading, because the Verge article makes it clear it's basically a Valve-branded PC baseline. Either way, it doesn't really seem good news to me, it probably means (if true) that devs will just start taking the Valve boxes in consideration and leave other hardware combinations in the dust.

PC elitisits flock to steam console?

Bunch of muppets. Why so many people are so keen to set Valve up as the Lords of PC Gaming given how poorly regarded every other Lord of [Gaming] is regarded is one of the best pieces of evidence that the vast majority of PC elitism is Prius Driver class hipsterism from those with no idea why a gaming system with no central authority is a very very good idea.

• Like 5

Bunch of muppets. Why so many people are so keen to set Valve up as the Lords of PC Gaming given how poorly regarded every other Lord of [Gaming] is regarded is one of the best pieces of evidence that the vast majority of PC elitism is Prius Driver class hipsterism from those with no idea why a gaming system with no central authority is a very very good idea.

Valve hater!

I still hate those intellectually challenged PC gamers with their inferior hardware and mock operating systems for ruining the glorious Amiga gaming scene.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I still hate those intellectually challenged PC gamers with their inferior hardware and mock operating systems for ruining the glorious Amiga gaming scene.

Nice try but no gaming system required learning the complexity that was juggling various types of memory on a DOS PC.

Amiga users had the worst case of all to call anyone "intellectually challenged".

And while we're at 20 year old system wars the king was always ZX Spectrum. :shifty:

Edited by pmp10

And while we're at 20 year old system wars the king was always ZX Spectrum. :shifty:

Bah, ZX Spectrum was just a ZX 81 with slightly more memory and 6 additional colours :p

Some more comements on the banner saga

This was a tricky decision for us. I definitely get why people like making their own characters. In Tactics or Disgaea I'd always shelf the unique characters because I cared about my own built up team a lot more. On the other hand, the cast in Shining Force was big enough that I felt the same way about my early characters- even though I didn't make them. I think it has a lot to do with connecting with characters who grow over the course of the game. We're going to have all unique characters like Shining Force, but instead of having no tactical abilities at all, each will have special advantages meant to complement each other.

No, our storyline will be more dialogue driven and less high fantasy than FFT. I think it'll feel very different from us.

We've considered something like this but when playing Fire Emblem dying just meant restarting the level. For me it was basically a game where if anyone died you lost. But, we like the tension of losing characters in combat. A character who falls in battle may be unusable for certain number of combats afterward, to me this feels like a good middle ground where you can accept a loss but it hurts. We're still working out the details.

I totally get this. For the trailer we wanted to show just a slice of combat and the decision to fit everything on one screen does understandably imply that this is the full extent of it. Our actual combat gameplay is much bigger than this; boards are not locked to one size or shape and combat will include a lot more characters and enemies. The board will be alterable to have squares blocked off (like those with rocks) or be shaped by bottlenecks or larger obstacles on the field. The camera will focus on each character as their turn comes up, and turns will be initiative-based.

One thing I definitely think we need to message more clearly is that the travel scenes in the video are actual gameplay. The caravan is continually moving through the world as you flee from unstoppable forces. The gameplay here is reminiscent of a travelling King of Dragon Pass, forcing the player to make decisions as various events arise, and these decisions creating different consequences over time. The caravan isn't just a bunch of warriors but friends, family and kin sticking together for survival. What happens to the world will be affected throughout all the game systems- dialogue, combat and travel. We'll be talking more about this particular system later.

Oh, **** no. If anything it shows what big wankers they really are behind the scenes.

If video games were realistic: http://www.mediumdif...r-place-in-war/

Don't know if the guy is legit or not

I would actually play that kind of game, and probably like it 10x more than Call of Duty.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I think I've made my stance on Steam known previously, I've whinged about it plenty, and refuse to buy any more steamworks games. I still can't play Empire; Total War, and their customer service keep shafting me hard enough until I bleed and I can't sit straight.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken