Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mass Effect 3

Battlefield Earth

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
570 replies to this topic

BobSmith101

BobSmith101

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 303 posts
Need those time sinks to push the play hours up. The game is 15-20 + sides according to a German mag.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4636 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I dunno, I don't think it looks as bad as the ME2 version. :p

Anyway, at least the score is going to be better than ME2: http://soundcloud.co...t-3-mars-combat

Bos_hybrid

Bos_hybrid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Don't know what to make of that, on the one hand I hated the mini game to the point of cheating to avoid it, on the other that sort of reminds me of what my dream ST game would have, exploring unknown worlds/system recovering technologies/ getting attacked be enemies etc.

I'll put it this way, having the scanning of planets just for retrieving minerals bad, having it involve random encounters, lore finds, armor/weapons/items and missions good. Having said all that, it doesn't make sense to have either of them in ME3 given the plot. Why would Shep go around scanning system while Earth has the reapers over for dinner?

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4636 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Don't know what to make of that, on the one hand I hated the mini game to the point of cheating to avoid it, on the other that sort of reminds me of what my dream ST game would have, exploring unknown worlds/system recovering technologies/ getting attacked be enemies etc.

I'll put it this way, having the scanning of planets just for retrieving minerals bad, having it involve random encounters, lore finds, armor/weapons/items and missions good. Having said all that, it doesn't make sense to have either of them in ME3 given the plot. Why would Shep go around scanning system while Earth has the reapers over for dinner?

... I think they explain that in the video, important hidden military assets? You're gonna see a recurring theme from ME2 (hopefully done a bit better), where you have to strike a balance between the need to hurry up and save earth and taking your time and preparing for being actually able to do it.

BobSmith101

BobSmith101

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 303 posts

Because that is the ME plot. I'll be general.

It's a big galactic bust up the Reapers vs Everyone else.

You collect war assets, depending on how you accomplish core missions/side quests you get 1 of 6 endings.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3581 posts
And the Reapers lose because they didn't bring unlimited probes.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4568 posts
  • Backer

Anyway, at least the score is going to be better than ME2: http://soundcloud.co...t-3-mars-combat

I actually liked the soundtrack in ME2. Better than 1's, too. Is that bad? :ermm:

Bos_hybrid

Bos_hybrid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
My bad, had the comp on mute and didn't hear the guy talking. Just assumed it was a new weapon/upgrade.

Edited by Bos_hybrid, 25 February 2012 - 05:29 AM.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4636 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I actually liked the soundtrack in ME2. Better than 1's, too. Is that bad? :ermm:

No, it just means that you like generic Movie Soundtrack scores over unique and brilliant 80s synth/orchestral fusion ones. ;)

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4568 posts
  • Backer
Guess that means I can no longer pull the "refined tastes" card next time the dumbing down pissing contest comes around. :(

Did they get a new composer or...?

Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 841 posts
No, I enjoyed the ME2 soundtrack too. Missed the sweet Vangelis vibe though:

It'll be interesting to see what Clint Mansell adds to the mix. Really enjoyed some of his previous work...

http://www.artofthet...010/07/12/moon/

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5393 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Feel sorry for the fighters on Earth trying to hold the front while you're doing this.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4636 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The "Vangelis vibe" was indeed what was most missing from ME2, and what I was referring to earlier. It was what separated "normal good" from the "special" in ME1.

Apart from Clint Mansell, they have a team of composers who've already worked on the franchise. Sam Hulick had co-credit for ME1 with Jack Wall and was on the composing team for ME2 (which was credited entirely to Jack Wall, who's now gone). Also coming back are the people who worked on the ME2 DLCs. I read a bunch of interviews from these guys earlier today, and they specifically mentioned that their mandate was going back to a more ME1 type of sound, as it was one of the more criticised aspects of ME2. The above-linked example sure is up to the standard of the best ME1 action tunes like Feros Battle and Eden Prime Battle.

You know guys, what most cracks me up here is that when I actually criticise an aspect of Bioware games, multiple people leap up in its defense. ;)

Edit, since I see this come up every now and then, I'll copy the official composer list from Bio social:

Clint Mansell, Golden Globe nominated Hollywood composer recognized for scoring celebrated films including Black Swan, The Wrestler and Requiem for a Dream.

Christopher Lennertz, Emmy nominated Hollywood composer known for his work on the recent movie Horrible Bosses, also composed Mass Effect 2: Overlord, Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker, and won the Interactive Academy Award for Medal of Honor.

Cris Velasco, known for composing the God of War series score, has also worked on downloadable content Mass Effect 2: Kasumi and Mass Effect 2: Arrival.

Sam Hulick, veteran to the Mass Effect series having composed the score for Mass Effect, Mass Effect: Bring Down the Skyand Mass Effect 2.

Sascha Dikiciyan, video game industry veteran, known for composing the score for TRON: Evolution and the scores ofMass Effect 2: Kasumi and Mass Effect 2: Arrival.

Edited by Nepenthe, 25 February 2012 - 06:34 AM.

Janmanden

Janmanden

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 718 posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb_WX_Osgk4&

yeah. Don't know what to say yet.

Hmmmm..

The Normandy is equipped with a new and improved scanning pulse than can detect objects of interest. Use this to uncover war assets, artifacts, intel and fuel as you fly around a system.

New and improved? It sounds like a step down since it does less than the old one and even less than the really old one.. If it's able to find things that is added randomly.. Could it be random things popping up in ME3? The thought sounds revolting considering how little air there is around the game, but if that's the case I'll take it unless it turns out, that I find the same 'random' things in the same 'random' places on replay. Scanning for resources was necessary in ME2, because they were needed to complete research. I wonder if scanning is necessary now, because all the fuel stations has been disabled by the Reaper presence? Makes sense, I guess, I feel a dread building up, I imagine more work, have to make regular scans for fuel to scoop to cover my dwindling resources..

Be aware, however that each time the pulse is used, the chance that Reapers will enter the system to investigate is increased.

Keeping Shepard locked up sounds more and more like it was the right choice, because now that he's lose he's leading them to more systems. I wonder what the Reapers do after they have entered a new system and failed to catch the Normandy.. They just leave again or do they make the planets in the system suffer for their frustration or do they leave covert sentinels to guard it?

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4636 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3581 posts
I think a sense of danger would ad to exploring systems, the probing is not something you need to do compulsively I suspect. Who cares about the closing cinematic being a bit different because you didn't lift every rock.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3581 posts
Imagine if they had gone with space combat and trade routes a la Freespace instead of that crappy firewalker thing. Now that would have been something. They were able to jam that into the unreal engine so it's by no means impossible.

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2230 posts
  • Silver Backer
They'd sooner do the arcade thing from ToR.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7048 posts
The Reapers chasing the Normandy on that galaxy map is hilarious. How about just vaporizing it instead?

Of course, the Normandy probably doesn't have a child on board.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4636 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The Reapers chasing the Normandy on that galaxy map is hilarious. How about just vaporizing it instead?

Of course, the Normandy probably doesn't have a child on board.

Maybe Normandy actually isn't the size of several earth-sized planets?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users