Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mass Effect 3

Battlefield Earth

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
570 replies to this topic

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9696 posts
Start of old thread
End of old thread

We are all doomed.

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts
Several copies of the CE does seem rather wild right from the start. I suppose if you thought you'd need all of them eventually.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Several copies of the CE does seem rather wild right from the start. I suppose if you thought you'd need all of them eventually.

Well, it's gonna be a lot harder buying them down the road. :)

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2118 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, it sold more than DAO and was developed in a fraction of the time. I think it was very profitable, I just suspect they're not yet done with it. :p

Where did you get these numbers? I've only heard that it sold a bout a million fewer copies.

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4024 posts
  • Gold Backer

Well, it sold more than DAO and was developed in a fraction of the time. I think it was very profitable, I just suspect they're not yet done with it. :p

Where did you get these numbers? I've only heard that it sold a bout a million fewer copies.

Everything I've been able to find suggests that it initially outsold DAO, but dropped off pretty quickly in comparison.

Working on a final save of ME2 for import. I've got about half the loyalty missions finished so far and I still need to go through some of the DLC. Playing the demo so much has made ME2 kinda painful to play. Shepard moves so slowly when you can't run for more than 3 seconds. :/

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6460 posts
Replaying ME2 after ME1, I was surprised how bland and uninspired Jennifer Hale's voice-over suddenly became. No emotion or passion whatsoever, while she was pretty amazing in Bulletstorm.

Maybe the BioWare voice direction wore her out.

Janmanden

Janmanden

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 714 posts
It's pretty crazy that you have to play the game all the way from ME1, then import to ME2 to get everything set the way you want it. I got that 'comic' what's-its-name.. Genesis DLC for ME2 to fix that originally, but it only covers the big picture with 2-3 choices that doesn't include your dealings with any secondary characters like Conrad Verner, Gianni Parsini or Shiala.. I felt ripped off. Stalling the intro 15 minutes more with nothing gained.. Not to mention how boring and monotonous that was.. Pffthh!! Doubtful whether any of these encounters will have any effecf on ME3, but maybe there will be one more husk to kill..

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2284 posts
I played ME2 then ME1 so I'd be in a bit of a pickle if I chose to buy ME3 - ME2 was finished with a boring old default Shep who wasn't really RPed (no idea what key choices I even made), whereas my ME1 character was at least reasonably developed. I really don't feel like replaying (either game) so as I imagine there probably won't be an ME1->ME3 export procedure 'll probably end up just creating a new Shep. Eh.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2623 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
There's always Gibbed's Save Editor that lets you create new saves and edit currents save and change the plot points around. It's mostly geared for ME1, with some elements of ME2 have been added I believe.

Hell, if you wait a month or two , someone will probably modify it for the ME2 to ME3 area..

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • Silver Backer
Gibbed already promised he'll make a save editor for Me3 himself.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2284 posts
If available at the right time I'd probably start a game from scratch using it - I've tried the ME1-ME2 export procedure and it made the character facial structure a bit wonky so there's no real reason to export assuming the editor is reasonably comprehensive.

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2118 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Everything I've been able to find suggests that it initially outsold DAO, but dropped off pretty quickly in comparison.

I'm under the same impression, that it sold fairly well at first, but then it just stopped, and thus in total falling short of DA:O sales numbers by a lot.

Edit: For reference, VGChartz lists DA:O at roughly 4 million total across all platforms, with DA 2 at roughly 1.85 million. Make of those numbers what you will.

Edited by Spider, 24 February 2012 - 07:11 AM.

Drudanae

Drudanae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6460 posts
Multiplayer might make ME3 BioWare's top seller, but there seems to be a lot of raeg about the Prothean DLC as well, so who knows.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9371 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I can't fathom too many people buying this game just for horde mode. But I'm remarkably ignorant on how CoD sells, too.

My own ignorance astounds me.

Oblarg

Oblarg

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 878 posts

I'm under the same impression, that it sold fairly well at first, but then it just stopped, and thus in total falling short of DA:O sales numbers by a lot.

Edit: For reference, VGChartz lists DA:O at roughly 4 million total across all platforms, with DA 2 at roughly 1.85 million. Make of those numbers what you will.

It initially had a lot of momentum from DA:O's success, but then word of mouth got around that it was crap, and people stopped buying it. Somewhat reassuring that a bad game still won't sell as well as a good game, no matter how much hype is behind it.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6922 posts
  • Backer
So why did DA:O sell 4 million copies then? :>

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2623 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Because it wasn't outright crap? There were flaws in it, and I'd say replayability is actually quite low because of the amount of grinding slog in some of the sections.. but at the time there wasn't much in the way of decent fantasy rpg type games, and it was a fairly decent offering.

Hell, even DA2 had good points. I actually loved the whole setup of staging the progress of time like that, and setting things up for that growth and potential fallout of decisions you made earlier. Unfortunately the problems, the "only 3 dungeons reused continuously" and the fact that while some pieces of writing and setup were damn good, it would then sink to serious depths..

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3945 posts
I've done all the loyalty mission for the characters I have. I just need to recruit/loyalty Tali and recuit/loyalty Legion. Then I can hop through the relay and save the galaxy from the evil invading horde.

It had an 'evil horde invading, save the world' plot. Those are popular.

Edited by Maria Caliban, 24 February 2012 - 09:51 AM.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6009 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The worst thing about DA2 was retroactively turning DA into a great game.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3455 posts
The characters were all horrendous. Except the dwarf thief, I liked him but he couldn't carry the whole thing alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users