Putin wants to return to the Cold War

Humodour

Since by law the "work day" is considered to be 8 hours it looks like we escape the shackles of slavery! W00t, long live capitalism!

But I thought laissez-faire capitalists hated regulations on the labour market such as worker's unions, minimum wage, and restrictions on shifts such as length and break requirements? The free market will sort it out, no need for regulation.

There is a fine line here though. Obviously a business owner is going to want to keep costs down, and all of those things add to costs. So the government steps in and regulates to protect workers, or allows them to unionize. But there are all sorts of pitfalls here. Corruption in the government or the unions, rising overhead that forces businesses to close down, the inability for small businesses to compete... the list goes on and on.

Isn't sleeping free time though?

You only rem sleep for 20-30 mins, the rest of the time you might as well be dead.

So being dead doesn't count towards your free time either?

If you are getting the recommended 8 hours of sleep, then you are already spending 1/3 sleeping. So basically obykveven wants us all to have lives of leisure with no obligations or work time.

That's just the lie you keep telling yourself.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It was meant as a joke.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If you are getting the recommended 8 hours of sleep, then you are already spending 1/3 sleeping. So basically obykveven wants us all to have lives of leisure with no obligations or work time.

Isn't that 8 hour sleep thing a myth? Maybe toddlers and kids needs it, but I'm fairly sure adults don't.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Isn't that 8 hour sleep thing a myth? Maybe toddlers and kids needs it, but I'm fairly sure adults don't.

Nope, for most stages of your life, 8 hours is the recommended amount of sleep. Obviously this varies based on a lot of factors, but that is the accepted standard.

I'm 33 and I feel terrible if I don't get at least 7, but I also get interrupted at least once a night.

The last two decades, I've gotten by with 4-5 hours of sleep. 6 If I felt really lazy on weekend morning. Maybe I have some catching up to do. It just feels like such a waste of valuable time.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Nope, for most stages of your life, 8 hours is the recommended amount of sleep. Obviously this varies based on a lot of factors, but that is the accepted standard.

I'm 33 and I feel terrible if I don't get at least 7, but I also get interrupted at least once a night.

This is correct. Less than the recommend hours of sleep has been strongly linked with Alzheimer's plaque build-up, depression, obesity, stroke risk, and a variety of other ailments.

I think the link to Alzheimer's plaques is of particular note.

For teenagers the healthy amount of sleep is up around 10 hours, while it falls slowly from there down to 8 as you become more elderly (and including the elderly). I try to make sure I get 9 hours sleep each night (24 year old), and I feel it hard when I don't. While I'm sure I could train my body to feel it less (or not at all) if I got less, simply by having less for a few months, the long-term physical and mental stresses caused by lack of sleep would continue to cause additive damage year by year.

Another consideration is that, whatever amount of sleep you do get, you should ensure it ends on a complete sleep cycle (typically 90 minutes, but naturally varying around this amount from person to person). I'm sure we've all had times when we've woken or been woken in the middle of a sleep cycle and felt like absolute dog ****. To me that seems a bit like pulling the plug on your computer while it's in the middle of writing a file to the hard disk.

There is some suggestion that, as long as the cycles are complete, the human body is evolutionarily designed more for interrupted sleep (say 4.5 hours twice spread throughout the day) than a single long sleep. Certainly, people have been shown to learn a lot better (specifically retain important knowledge and purge irrelevant stuff) when they have a short nap in the afternoon (a siesta).

EDIT: Here is a table Wikipedia has on this, although different sources have slight variances in the numbers:

Age and condition Average amount of sleep per day

Newborn up to 18 hours

Edited by Krezack

*cough*

At what point does the time you lose on life equal the amount you lose to sleep?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I figured you'd chime in with an off-the-cuff comment about health being for sissies. No worries, you live your life the way you want, but I'll personally opt for a higher quality of life with a trade-off of more time asleep (which is no trade-off at all - sleep is great).

• Like 1

This is correct. Less than the recommend hours of sleep has been strongly linked with Alzheimer's plaque build-up, depression, obesity, stroke risk, and a variety of other ailments.

I think the link to Alzheimer's plaques is of particular note.

That's it, I'm screwed. I haven't had a good nights sleep that wasn't alcohol induced in ten years.

I kid of course but insomnia used to be a real problem for me and I was self medicating with bourbon for a time. A little while back it just stopped being a problem.

Look at it on the bright side though Hurlshot, if you are awake when Putin comes to get you at least he won't take you by suprise. This thread was about something along those lines right?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 4 weeks later...